Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Yup my preference is get the fuck to the destination, ideally with afternoon to get some cardio and general activity to reset & get on a good sleep program.

Any time I’ve tried a 12-24 hr layover on the way it’s not been ideal. YMMV. I do it anyway to see a friend or extended family member but not often.

I miss the days when I would get free upgrades to Intl business class 90% of the time just by having silver status and being friendly with gate agents. These days everything is so heavily computer optimized and managed it’s harder.

I'm impressed by the amount of smug Frorider has managed to drop in this thread. I feel smarmy just reading the self-aggrandizing shit he's spewing here.
    Doesn't mean that much to me, to mean that much to you.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Yes.

But first class on these types of flights is a little better than an empty coach seat next to you.

Sigh.

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

It's something like a day or few of adjustment for each hour of timezone change. So if yer going to europe or asia there's questionable value in trying to acclimate along the way - unless you're willing to go by boat. Exercise at the destination as fro says works for day of, but I've never figured out how to avoid the delayed onset across-the-world misery that follows on days 3-4.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I'm impressed by the amount of smug Frorider has managed to drop in this thread. I feel smarmy just reading the self-aggrandizing shit he's spewing here.
    For sure. Spraying about $400 peasant fares is evidence of living the high life.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Yes.

But first class on these types of flights is a little better than an empty coach seat next to you.

If I had that kind of money and was still alive I damn sure wouldn't be sleeping much. Would use those accommodations for other activities.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

real money doesn't fly airline.

I've managed to do well getting long haul first/business class seats with miles. Takes a lot of work and flexibility sometimes though, and of course miles.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    From Seattle it's barely longer to fly to Frankfurt or Amsterdam vs Boston or New York. I only stop on the way back, never while heading out for work, and even then only if the connections are substantially cheaper
    I wouldn't call it "barely longer". NYC to Frankfurt = 3950 miles, Seattle to Frankfurt = 5100 miles
    However breaking the trip up by flying to through NYC adds an extra 1100 miles.
    Yep, the great circle is a thing
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Only if you’re not a flat earther

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    I wouldn't call it "barely longer". NYC to Frankfurt = 3950 miles, Seattle to Frankfurt = 5100 miles
    However breaking the trip up by flying to through NYC adds an extra 1100 miles.
    Yep, the great circle is a thing
    Ya but percentual difference in time - the preferred variable of dentists across the flat earth - is modest relative to connecting, irregardingless where connections occur.

Long layovers work if you have friends in the right places. I try and to a 23 1/2 hour layover in AMS. That way it is still a layover not a separate flight. My skies stay checked in so I just have a carry on for an overnight stay at a friends. A good dinner, a bottle of wine (after a few Belgian beers), and good nights sleep, sleep in and then back to AMS for the second leg.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

A 20 hour flight is no problem if you have a plan; it's all about the timing.

I've prepared an instructional documentary for your benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

I keep reading the subject as “Can you spend 20 hours on a planet?”

Some of the responses work, like the ones along the lines of “it depends, what drugs are we talking about?”
    Don’t give up until.

its unclear to me, is the plane is on a conveyor belt ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Kate Middleton, Prince William, and Kids Spotted on Budget Flight to Scotland
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

if it were a regular occurrence, it wouldn't make the news.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Oh, and like that sleeper compartment in the post above yours can be bought with fake money?

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

Benny's hates people richer than him.
    mountainous regions are wonderlands

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Only if you’re not a flat earther
    I was gonna say....

What we really need to learn to do is fold space.
    Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

I’ve spent 20+ hours strapped to a metal framed canvas bench, cutting off all the blood trying to get back to my heart from my lower extremities. It included a refueling. This - after sleeping directly on a concrete pad on the tarmac in a breezeless humid 90+° afternoon and a long hot still night waiting for and then loading said bird. Not forgetting that I was fully dressed and humping gear for a wet/cold environment.

This was all preceded by a two day binge of LSD, everclear and tequila.

It was also my first ever JATO Launch – holyfuck – a new level of loud

Designed layovers (just to adapt) no payoff.

I was a window seat type for decades. I have been rehabilitated - aisle seat – more better than window.

Don’t envy ncskier/abraham – long term frequent international or long domestic will take a permanent toll on the body. Just look at any career flight attendant over 40.

Ime, frorider has the right approach. Some cardio/stretch/hydrate/no alcohol/don’t over eat. Immediately adhering to the timeline you have stepped into. If you have no choice but check for bedbugs for a few hours or more, get up with the rest of local populous.

Grinding through the first 24hrs to adhere to the local schedule pays off largely.

Flying east has always been much harder than flying west for me. Losing time is more of a shock to my systems (circadian rhythm). Gaining time (going west); no matter the length* of the flight, I adapt much more readily.

*Unless you’ve flown far enough to arrive yesterday
    Last edited by Gepeto; 08-24-2019 at 01:15 AM.
    "knowledgeable in escapades of the flesh"

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    I would need a support animal. Maybe a snake, or even better an rea.

Seriously, did a flight from Frankfurt to Vancouver for 14hrs on Air Canada coach once. Never again, it damn near crippled me. Even edibles wouldn’t have helped those muscle spasms from hour 4 to 3 days later.
    Amatuer , try Calgary - Frankfurt then 6 hour layover then a flight to Dubai 6-7 hour then 1 hour layover then 1 hour to Muscat
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Taking a long nap on a plane feels like teleporting.
    mountainous regions are wonderlands

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    So the wife and I have been looking into better seat arrangements for our trip to Switzerland this winter. My question is how are you guys getting affordable pricing on first class? All the flights we see are pushing it over 4K$ rt. That’s insane.
    Two ways to get Business Class without paying those fares:

Build miles with both airlines and credit card.

1) buy a “full fare” economy or economy plus fare and use miles to upgrade to bidness class

Or

2) book business class through award travel with airline. They’re making this harder and cost more miles than it used to , but can happen with well in advance booking.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.