Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    DJSapp is online now (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    Having a ton of marathon road trips growing up, 20 hours in an Aluminum tube isn't a big deal. Ever done 36 hours on a party bus from Sacramento to Aspen? It sounds like a good idea, until you wake up hungover somewhere in Nevada, the toilet is overflowing with piss and puke, the whole bus is covered in dried beer, and everyone smells like a homeless person. And you still have 20 hours to go. After that, you can withstand just about anything.
    Fat fuck bubbas are not erosion.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Would it be cheaper to buy 2 coach seats than one first class seat?
    Yes.

But first class on these types of flights is a little better than an empty coach seat next to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Client wanted to meet right after we landed.
    f that!

So the wife and I have been looking into better seat arrangements for our trip to Switzerland this winter. My question is how are you guys getting affordable pricing on first class? All the flights we see are pushing it over 4K$ rt. That’s insane.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Yes.

But first class on these types of flights is a little better than an empty coach seat next to you.

Quick expedia search shows that as a $17,000 non stop round trip ducat outta LAX.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    My question is how are you guys getting affordable pricing on first class?
    I've never seen it. I can fly SLC non-stop to CDG (which then gets anywhere in Europe for cheap) for around $500. Business class on those same flights cost more than the entire trip. Per seat.

affordable pricing on first class?
    There's really no such thing as cheap international first class.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    I cannot sleep more than 1 hour on the plane, unless it’s first/biz class. My back is too long for every coach seat, so I’m either slouched down terribly or my head folds back over the top of the seat. Either way I wake up all kinked out.
    I too have a long torso- I deal with it by slouching but then using a back pillow for support, and a neck pillow. My legs aren't too long so it works ok for me in economy plus (which is also good so you don't feel so bad about reclining the seat all the way which is essential for long torsos- sorry long legged folk- I think it's this difference in body shape that fuels the debate)

So the wife and I have been looking into better seat arrangements for our trip to Switzerland this winter. My question is how are you guys getting affordable pricing on first class? All the flights we see are pushing it over 4K$ rt. That’s insane.
    Buy and charge everything on Amex/Skymiles card and rack up legs to get your diamond medallion status.

I dunno, I'm lucky to get to silver.

Unless you've got friends & family.
    Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Yeah, affordable is relative....

Yeah, affordable is relative....
    Like I said, $500 to Paris vs $7000 for business class. I can suffer for $6500. Most of Delta's long haul fleet is 767's and I appreciate the 2-4-2 seat configuration when flying as a couple.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I can suffer for $6500..
    You're not their target 1st class consumer.

My question is how are you guys getting affordable pricing on first class? All the flights we see are pushing it over 4K$ rt. That’s insane.
    Long haul business is really only attainable if you're high net worth, status with upgrade certificates, or get lucky with your fare class + status combo.

But you can get a decent product that's comparable to domestic first class comfort in premium economy or economy plus type products. They're closer in price to coach than business and they give you some combination of free drinks, legroom, seat width, separate arm rests, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    Long haul business is really only attainable if you're high net worth, status with upgrade certificates, or get lucky with your fare class + status combo.

But you can get a decent product that's comparable to domestic first class comfort in premium economy or economy plus type products. They're closer in price to coach than business and they give you some combination of free drinks, legroom, seat width, separate arm rests, etc.
    Thanks, we’ll look into that.

DJSapp is online now (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    Quote Originally Posted by Tele 'til You're Smelly View Post
    I too have a long torso- I deal with it by slouching but then using a back pillow for support, and a neck pillow. My legs aren't too long so it works ok for me in economy plus (which is also good so you don't feel so bad about reclining the seat all the way which is essential for long torsos- sorry long legged folk- I think it's this difference in body shape that fuels the debate)
    Same boat here. Tall, longer torso and broad shouldered. I always go for the window seat and lean against the wall. Works well until turbulence hits and you get concussed while dozing.
    Fat fuck bubbas are not erosion.

I think aisle gives you more room to move even if it comes with the occasional blunt force trauma from the food cart.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I've never seen it. I can fly SLC non-stop to CDG (which then gets anywhere in Europe for cheap) for around $500. Business class on those same flights cost more than the entire trip. Per seat.
    When the hell are you finding the direct flight that cheap? I've never even seen it below $1k.... I'd probably go home more often if I saw it pop up for $500!

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    I think aisle gives you more room to move even if it comes with the occasional blunt force trauma from the food cart.
    +1 on this, aisle all the way for quick escape. One hit from the food cart will teach you never to let your knees wander out of alignment fore sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    When the hell are you finding the direct flight that cheap? I've never even seen it below $1k.... I'd probably go home more often if I saw it pop up for $500!
    Follow 'Flights from Home' on Instagram. That price comes up at least 4x a year. AMS too. $576 non-stop right now end of November till end of December. I've gotten in as cheap as $486.

Yup. If you watch these things (I’m too busy/lazy but the GF ain’t) you can get RT fares Reno/Geneva or Zurich for 4 or 5 hundred semi regularly.

6’3” and Yup I need a window seat to sleep but it’s doable.

for all you west coasters headed to europe, do you ever fly to Boston, NY etc. a day ahead of time or prefer your suffering all at once. I fly a lot for work. This week is only my 2nd two week hitch without flying. Normally its weekly or twice a week. I have good status, but even I have my limits. When thinking of hitting Japan, I am still thinking coach to LAX, hang out for a day in LA, sleep comfortably and then spring for combo of points and status for business class to japan. I have my limits on suffering I guess

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    for all you west coasters headed to europe, do you ever fly to Boston, NY etc. a day ahead of time or prefer your suffering all at once. I fly a lot for work. This week is only my 2nd two week hitch without flying. Normally its weekly or twice a week. I have good status, but even I have my limits. When thinking of hitting Japan, I am still thinking coach to LAX, hang out for a day in LA, sleep comfortably and then spring for combo of points and status for business class to japan. I have my limits on suffering I guess
    Nope, because of great circle routes.

From Seattle it's barely longer to fly to Frankfurt or Amsterdam vs Boston or New York. I only stop on the way back, never while heading out for work, and even then only if the connections are substantially cheaper

Yes.

Yep. That's money well spent.

100mg of THC gummies... Wake me when the sundae cart comes by.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

I found a day layover made the travel experience more draining, not less. Especially if the trip involved transiting multiple time zones. Worst layovers were the 8-12 hrs ones where its kind of enough time to go into a city and do something, but you are still tired and stinky from 12+hrs on the plane.