Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I've done 16 with a baby in coach. 20 would be totally doable, esp. if I was by myself.

I'm with whoever above said that single long flights are better than full day plus of travel with lots of layovers and switching. I do a little work or read, watch a movie, then take a sleeping pill, conk out for 8 hours, wake up, watch another movie, and you're getting close. 20 hours would add a bit more time but I might actually get a few more things done.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    I've done 16 with a baby in coach.
    You win.

edit: you have the worst story, but is that winning? hm

Up until age 35 do something like 20 hours on a plane would've been doable with a bunch of Percs and some fine Cognac or Scotch.
    Kudos to anyone that can do that sober.
    perfect ass search
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Jesus god almighty!
    That link is the single best link Iíve ever clicked on ever.

Would it be cheaper to buy 2 coach seats than one first class seat? Perhaps two people chip in on buying 3 seats together for a little more room? I once shared a row with some dude why paid for a seat for his banjo. No fighting with a banjo over the middle arm rest LOL..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I did a 14 hour flight from Tokyo to Mpls on a broken center seat (it sloped slightly forward), facing the flight crew's jump seats, so no tray or place to brace my knees. I would slowly slide forward and have to prop myself back up onto the seat every few minutes, so no way to sleep. It was only tolerable because the stewardesses I was facing took pity on me and kept me well-fed and entertained. They didn't have much to do for hours at a time, so we just told travel stories to kill time. Fun crew, thank you ladies!

First time flying to Tokyo wife and I did Newark to Narita which I think was around 14 hours at the time.

I loaded a season of Top Gear on my iPod, grabbed two fistfuls of airplane-sized bottles of Woodford and a great attitude.

The Mrs took an Ambien and was out within an hour of takeoff.

The flight attendant serving my row on the other hand had gallons of garbage quality red wine which I could not say no to.

I didn’t crack open the first mini of Woodford until we were somewhere past the west coast and it only got blurrier from there. I was flinging these things out like Chicklets to anyone within earshot that wanted one, which at this point was everyone in the packed bulkhead-turned-cocktail-lounge-area which was attended equally by staff and patrons.

I lost track after that but I never fell asleep, and as the wife woke up before we disembarked she got to hear a lot of stories about what a great time we all had from my new friends.

I’ve since been asked to be more reserved on long flights if I plan on staying in the same hotel upon arrival.

So yeah. I could do it. If I fly solo.
    I still call it The Jake.

Best part of my marathon travel between BFE Finland and Bozeman Montana was this guy snoring away in the waiting area in Helsinki. So I get on the flight to London, nice - empty row.. Just as they're closing the hatch, guess who runs into the plane and sits next to me. No, we didn't shake hands in greeting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12916099_1382707625088503_1520360201369562361_o.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	366.8 KB 
ID:	292060

20 hours on a plane as a passenger? It could be worse, you could be a flight attendant on that flight.

Done 21 hours once Hong Kong to Toronto non stop . Pilot said it was longest sch flight in world at time. Flight over had stop over in Alaska so total flight time was worse. Cathay Pacific econ with what seemed like tiny seats with not a lot of leg room. Fun times.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

I've found the edibles work way better for me on long hauls than ambien or xanax. I still can't sleep more than about 45 minutes straight, but I'm way more zoned out watching movies. Timing wise; a few hours into the flight, right after the meal service and two glasses of red wine.

I would need a support animal. Maybe a snake, or even better an rea.

Seriously, did a flight from Frankfurt to Vancouver for 14hrs on Air Canada coach once. Never again, it damn near crippled me. Even edibles wouldnít have helped those muscle spasms from hour 4 to 3 days later.

Nope. Y'all are pros, edibles an shit on long ass ocean crossing flights. This is were I bow out. I know it's a ridiculously flawed way to think but I only travel to where I can drive to. (yes I'm not really bright or brave)

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Best part of my marathon travel between BFE Finland and Bozeman Montana was this guy snoring away in the waiting area in Helsinki. So I get on the flight to London, nice - empty row.. Just as they're closing the hatch, guess who runs into the plane and sits next to me. No, we didn't shake hands in greeting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12916099_1382707625088503_1520360201369562361_o.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	366.8 KB 
ID:	292060
    Interesting. I just painted my toenails a color called "Kinky in Helsinki."

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkiní Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Don't be paranoid about edibles, but don't be a jerk and be blatant about it. TSA isn't looking for drugs, they're looking for weapons. Buy some cough drops, and mix it up with edbles wrapped in the cough drop wrappers. Cough a little and smile. Dogs can't smell them, especially if you keep them off the ground, so, backpack.

Bunny da smuggler.....givin' tha pro tips.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Bunny da smuggler.....givin' tha pro tips.
    Name:  IMG_4767.JPG
Views: 253
Size:  46.9 KB

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Name:  IMG_4767.JPG
Views: 253
Size:  46.9 KB

Fucker, you made me douch my sinuses with whiskey!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Would it be cheaper to buy 2 coach seats than one first class seat? Perhaps two people chip in on buying 3 seats together for a little more room? I once shared a row with some dude why paid for a seat for his banjo. No fighting with a banjo over the middle arm rest LOL..
    I flew from Boston to Nashville (small jet 2 Seats left row 2 seats right row). YoYo Ma was a few seats ahead of me and his cello was enjoying the flight in its own seat. Made me finally understand Nashville ainít all about the honky tonk thing.

And 20 hrs in an airline seat? Fuck that. I did 7 hrs from Frankfurt to Boston a few weeks ago and Iíve slept on more comfortable park benches
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Quote Originally Posted by Obstruction View Post

And 20 hrs in an airline seat? Fuck that. I did 7 hrs from Frankfurt to Boston a few weeks ago and I’ve slept on more comfortable park benches
    You were that guy in Helsinki?

I’ve done enough 17-19 hr flights the 20 hr thing elicits a shrug. I always choose nonstops when possible.

When your life is nonstop combo of work and outdoor recreation, the only real downtime is when you’re injured or flying over the Pacific or Atlantic. I find myself relaxing as soon as I get in my seat. Watch a movie, small amt of alcohol since dehydration is what drives jetlag, some melatonin and I’ll sleep most of the flight.

Lucked out on my last trip from Frankfurt to JFK with all three window side seats. Thank you lord.

I wouldn't buy too much at this point in my life if I won big bucks in a lottery, well, maybe except for a Ferrari, but I would definitely drop a lot of money on First class, primo air travel.

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

For me, flying east on long flights is easier- always going to be some daylight where everyone is up and about (and so can you be easily without disturbing people), and there is something about the day going by almost twice as fast that seems to help. Going west on redeyes- ugh. "Ok I've slept as much as I can, watched a movie and read half a book and still only half way there, time is standing still and everyone else seems to be able to sleep for 15 hours straight."

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    You were that guy in Helsinki?
    I wish! Lucky, lucky bastard! Padded seats and room to pleasure himself.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

20hrs is long but very manageable if you eat well, know how to sleep in air & can stay occupied when awake. Much less stressful than constant transfers in unfamiliar cities.

Can you spend 20 hours on a plane?

I cannot sleep more than 1 hour on the plane, unless itís first/biz class. My back is too long for every coach seat, so Iím either slouched down terribly or my head folds back over the top of the seat. Either way I wake up all kinked out.

Worst ever was a 14 hr flight from LAX to Sydney - after flight from Den to Lax and 3 hr layover. I fell asleep as soon as we pulled away from the gate. Woke up 2 hrs later, still on the tarmac in LA. Problem with the entertainment and PA systems. After 4 hrs on the tarmac, they fixed the PA but not the movies and music. Took off for 14 more hours of entertainment less hell.

Fall asleep for 45 minutes, wake up all kinked out, get up, do a lap, stretch, collapse back down, fall asleep, repeat. Suck

Client wanted to meet right after we landed. I was a mumbling fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

I would have a hard time of it in a typical coach configuration. Give me a steeply reclining seat and leg room, and I would be fine on such a flight.

Longest time traveling in one push was a bit over 48 hours. Small Cessna out of a game camp in Tanzania, cab ride between terminals and a long wait in Dar El Assam. Flight to Turkey, moderate layover then trans Atlantic flight to LAX, more waiting thena long multistop shuttle ride to our door. All with almost no sleep. I have tried everything, and I just can't sleep on planes or in airports other then 5-10 minute doses.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot