OBD2 Fault Code software for Windows 10 recommendation

I have a ELM327 USB/OBD2 fault code reader that I want to use. I have the drivers figured out already but I need some suggestions for the software. I will use this on a Windows 10 laptop connected via USB. Google gives me quite a few suggestions but many want to charge me and the free ones look dodgy. Suggestions for a free and virus-free program would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm not certain, but the old freeware vag-com software can use generic elm readers to read any car obd diagnostics.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

What make/model/year car?

For a modern Ford, you can't beat ForSCAN with a stick. It picks up codes and also allows changing certain system parameters and running diagnostics and calibration routines that are otherwise dealer-only. There may be similar software out there for other brands of vehicle, but I don't know.

Look through https://cartechnology.co.uk/
    Great forum for car software.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Thanks for the ideas.

The car is an Alfa 147 Q2 2007.

You should just run all scetchy software in a virtual computer. virtualbox.org is free and it has no problem interfacing with physical hardware.

Torque (Pro version just recently from the free Lite version) is what I use (bluetooth to the cheap Elm chip based reader)... The version I use is on my Android phone (or tablet can be used if you want bigger display for more items on the dashboard as they call the app display page)..

A few of the free or evaluation PC/Windows laptop apps I tried when I got the Elm years ago did not work or wanted you to pay money for it to be usable (my Elm off Ebay had a little mini Cd with 3 or 4 trials or demos...) Looks like their is a Windows version also of both the Lite (free) and Pro version... if you do have a bluetooth device in the laptop, that could be investigated.

Ended up going with Multiecuscan. Free version works for 20 minute sessions. Took several hours to work out the communication issues but finally got it to work with a Windows XP driver.

Now I need to figure out what to fix on the car. It came back with an EGR valve issue which could mean several things.

OBD2 Fault Code software for Windows 10 recommendation

You've already pulled the trigger and got something, but I'd still recommend getting a cheap, Wifi capable OBDII reader and downloading a few freeware OBDii phone apps till you find one you like. These are what I've been using for the past 5 years:

App:

Reader:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077F8F6TB..._DbiBDbRNGPM84
    Last edited by lucknau; 09-01-2019 at 08:38 PM.