Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    tough jacket, cool looking, there are some issues with all the real military stuff from all countries, in terms of design, weight, functionality (like velcro tabs you cant open with gloved hands, because they dont think that way when they design), they think about soldiers changing firing positions, and laying on rocks and bomb shrapnel and other things that we as skiers dont think about and causes us problems, the socom soldiers get better stuff, they even can spec stuff to have made, (ive seen it and had my hands on it e.g. arc leaf products, patagonia, etc)

german soldier jacket...overall a tough workhorse that fails in performance for aerobic activity and skiing but would keep a soldier dry...

but, i know of people that climbed some of the worlds biggest peaks wearing oddball stuff sewn by a lady in XXXXXXXX, Colorado, cant dox her....but they did it just to take the picture, i mean lewis and clark look where they went and they didnt have patagucci....bottom line you can make about anything work you want to within reason...some stuff is going to fail...

most of the milspec stuff is cut really big and boxy and have fairly rudimentary notions for cinching it all down, you still end up with lots of swaths of fabric held down by cords in the waist and other things that dont quite lend themselves to our sport...once you get flapping in the wind at high speed mach looney descents and you will know....or the giagantic armholes and sleeves fit for the Rock or Schwartzenegger....

this kind of milspec stuff was inspiration behind our A5 made from real milspec goretex....but with some additional features and without some of the US Army's ecwcs cumbersome features (like linings and #10 zippers with 6" ribbon pulls)...i bought the fabric direct from military contractor so didnt have to follow any of gore's design approval process or taping reqquirements on only their proprietary machines...kept some stuff like double layered elbows and a few other thingys

Name:  camod.png
Views: 452
Size:  599.0 KB
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Quote Originally Posted by SlyFoxxx View Post
    Flylow Snowman pants I just got from Campsaver for $100.

Sent from my SM-G950U using TGR Forums mobile app
    and this is why i can never make pants for you guys...thankfully you guys can buy these other brands use them, destroy them, warranty them, till they quit giving you free, then you can re-up again in Spring for another $100 , im not being butt hurt, im glad these options are out there, pants blow out,. i dont want any part of it...hehe im good just doing my small thing , heck we dont even make womens ....stuff lol cept for the uniform customers....
    www.freeridesystems.com

made in Vietnam and .....made in Bangladesh.

this is what all those big boys like arc'teryx and patagonia , etc want to do, they realized they were painted into a corner only being able to get seam taped garments out of china, so they helped along with china factories in some cases (???) expand into vietnam..this meant teaching the art of seam tape to vietmineese...(sp? - sorry) , but when you go to a sourcing show and get hooked into the bangledesh booths and see Ralph Lauren quality polo shirts for virtually no minimums....(250 pieces) for $2.50 per garment,....

you know the big boys are going to move as much to them as possible....vietnam makes china look real expensive, banglidesh makes vietnam look really really expensive.....i had to see this stuff with my own eyes and talk to their people to figure out what was going on and why things happen the way they do....i would say it is all happening about 99.9% due to money (the cost to produce these goods) remember now, 2016 pricing at tradeshow for fully seam taped generic zipper and wpb fabric jacket .....complete jacket cost $25 fob china....so how cheap are they in Banglidesh?? this is what you are getting, they've been seam taping shorter time than we have .lol...but their teachers are the best and know everything....

and all that r&d funded by the usa skier person's profits.....$300 jackets, $500 jackets with a cost of $25....all that extra gross profit pays the PR firms, the r&d (not to make better goods, but to cheapen the production process) the best fabrics have been pioneered by pure fabric makers like gore and polartec....sure patagonia played a roll in some stuff...but if you really break it down recycled bottle made R1 or 100,200,300 weight fleece is a marketing play....if you look at how many bottles removed and the energy process to make those fabrics it is going to be real close to just using new hydro carbon by product that is left over from petroleum processing....its going to be there no matter what , so you can make it into fleece, burn it off at the refinery or make some pop bottles,

back to all that excessive gross profit...it pays the googles and the facebooks and some few print magazines and media junkets with steak dinners and free cat skiing for writers that turn out the advatorial for some free gear, craft beer with the brand owners, and some dollars$ and pays so employees can go serfing surfing whatever....
    www.freeridesystems.com

I bought one of those German Surplus Flectar jackets, frickin' thing smelled like an ashtray in a bar..

All my Arcteryx stuff has been great, own a lot of it. Have had some warranty issues but they have been great to deal with and have sent me new stuff more then once...

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    All my Arcteryx stuff has been great, own a lot of it. Have had some warranty issues but they have been great to deal with and have sent me new stuff more then once...
    how many pieces of arc'teryx would you say you own?
    did you buy it new? if yes, then:
    about how much did you pay for each piece?
    how many ski type jackets?
    how many ski type pants?
    how many other?

this is tech talk
    so im talkin tech with you
    www.freeridesystems.com

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    and this is why i can never make pants for you guys...thankfully you guys can buy these other brands use them, destroy them, warranty them, till they quit giving you free, then you can re-up again in Spring for another $100 , im not being butt hurt, im glad these options are out there, pants blow out,. i dont want any part of it...hehe im good just doing my small thing , heck we dont even make womens ....stuff lol cept for the uniform customers....
    True. The warranty process is a pain in the ass sometimes though. I think a lot of it comes down to needing 2-3 different pant/jacket combos for various applications. Then thinking about how fast styles come and go (especially colors). If gear lasts 10 years, it'll probably be out of style or the tech will be obsolete by then. I have a pair of bombproof Patagonia H2no pants that are 10 years old and still look new, but the lower legs look like bell bottoms... That's why I do like Arc gear. The styles are understated and timeless. You can wear 10 year old pants with a new jacket and not look weird.

"Skiing is the easy part, Carl."

tough jacket, cool looking, there are some issues with all the real military stuff from all countries, in terms of design, weight, functionality (like velcro tabs you cant open with gloved hands, because they dont think that way when they design), they think about soldiers changing firing positions, and laying on rocks and bomb shrapnel and other things that we as skiers dont think about and causes us problems, the socom soldiers get better stuff, they even can spec stuff to have made, (ive seen it and had my hands on it e.g. arc leaf products, patagonia, etc)

german soldier jacket...overall a tough workhorse that fails in performance for aerobic activity and skiing but would keep a soldier dry...

but, i know of people that climbed some of the worlds biggest peaks wearing oddball stuff sewn by a lady in XXXXXXXX, Colorado, cant dox her....but they did it just to take the picture, i mean lewis and clark look where they went and they didnt have patagucci....bottom line you can make about anything work you want to within reason...some stuff is going to fail...

most of the milspec stuff is cut really big and boxy and have fairly rudimentary notions for cinching it all down, you still end up with lots of swaths of fabric held down by cords in the waist and other things that dont quite lend themselves to our sport...once you get flapping in the wind at high speed mach looney descents and you will know....or the giagantic armholes and sleeves fit for the Rock or Schwartzenegger....

this kind of milspec stuff was inspiration behind our A5 made from real milspec goretex....but with some additional features and without some of the US Army's ecwcs cumbersome features (like linings and #10 zippers with 6" ribbon pulls)...i bought the fabric direct from military contractor so didnt have to follow any of gore's design approval process or taping reqquirements on only their proprietary machines...kept some stuff like double layered elbows and a few other thingys

Name:  camod.png
Views: 452
Size:  599.0 KB
    Sweet jacket, got any mo?
    watch out for snakes

If you can find them - Patagucci Rubicon pants.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    love these, like a vintage guitar that got gigged everynight in a smokey bar for 70 years but never relic'd and still look brand new....only caveat, coated urethane on 430D does not breath and your ballz will feel like they're vacationing in a dank rain forest, .......however, these conveniently come with "Increased Urethane Coating" so, there's that....and, i now understand teh suspender button feature for pants...if you buy a few sizes too big, and fly them with suspenders, your ballz will get air....albeit hot hair since these are also lined with thinsulate sandwhiched in yet another layer of woven nylon (lol) ......crotch rot special, but the pants themselves will never wear out or break down, in fact they like a 3 mil trash bag in a landfill, they are here forever.....got to luv "cables, chains, winches, tracks and pants" ....."pants with snaps".....good for using your stihl too... im not making fun, i have chainsaw chaps....i get it... but i see no mention of kevlar lined , and my when my 440 hits my nylon chaps , it cuts right threw until it hits the kevlar...but no kevlar in these babies....
    www.freeridesystems.com

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Sweet jacket, got any mo?
    limited sizes left.... http://www.freeridesystems.com/produ...n-colorado-usa
    www.freeridesystems.com

I have a pair of bombproof Patagonia H2no pants that are 10 years old and still look new, but the lower legs look like bell bottoms...

the right seamster or seamstress could taper those lower legs for you pretty easy (is a $20 job if folded and single needled - more if they talk you into taking it all a apart and doing it "right" which is totally unnessary (sp?)), you can reseal teh new needle holes on your own using XXXer's methods with aquaseal....boom, modern cut.....think and ask for like darting when issuing sewing person the scope of work...google that term so u get it first... most alt shops or sew at home ladies...like to turn a mole hill into a tailings pile and prove their knowledge and worth by suggesting you take it all apart and do it "right"....there is no "right" except the 1st time when made in industrial sewing factory first time....so anything thereafter is a hack.... if they persist on the "high" road doing it "right" ask them if they intend to seam tape after their sewing work (they will not be because they do not own a $25,000 seam taping machine)...they will not be seam taping , so fixing 'right' is moot,not to mention their $ charge they will want for their version of "right" which will far exceed the cost of new pants....i think it was old big steve the lawyer round here that said it best, buy a sewing machine, do your own work....(its actually fun)
    www.freeridesystems.com

...you guys can buy these other brands use them, destroy them, warranty them, till they quit giving you free, then you can re-up again in Spring for another $100 , .....
    Hell, with a lot of those brands you can buy them lightly used, beat the shit out of them, ask to get them fixed but since they don't have any capacity to actually fix stuff they just give you a new pair.

Not that I would know that.

the right seamster or seamstress could taper those lower legs for you pretty easy (is a $20 job if folded and single needled - more if they talk you into taking it all a apart and doing it "right" which is totally unnessary (sp?)), you can reseal teh new needle holes on your own using XXXer's methods with aquaseal....boom, modern cut.....think and ask for like darting when issuing sewing person the scope of work...google that term so u get it first... most alt shops or sew at home ladies...like to turn a mole hill into a tailings pile and prove their knowledge and worth by suggesting you take it all apart and do it "right"....there is no "right" except the 1st time when made in industrial sewing factory first time....so anything thereafter is a hack.... if they persist on the "high" road doing it "right" ask them if they intend to seam tape after their sewing work (they will not be because they do not own a $25,000 seam taping machine)...they will not be seam taping , so fixing 'right' is moot,not to mention their $ charge they will want for their version of "right" which will far exceed the cost of new pants....i think it was old big steve the lawyer round here that said it best, buy a sewing machine, do your own work....(its actually fun)
    IME as a drysuit tech " right " means the material doesnt leak,

the sales guy where I fix suits gave me 3 leaky suits from a SAR end user, they were made by un-named mfger who makes the most expensive dry suits on the market (we fix all brands) the suits don't get used much but the fabric was leaking after 3 yrs with dozens of pin holes, the mfger had tested the suits, marked every hole on the inside but refused to warranty or fix what was obviously new defective material so sales bro asked if we could do anything for the customer ?

I'm not sure how the mfger had tested the suits but when I aired up the suits for testing it looked like maybe every 3rd hole they had marked was definatley leaking so I just fix them all by dabbing every marked hole with AQS,
    I was dabbing for more than 2+ hrs so there were literaly hundreds of holes

I told sales bro I thot this was kind of sketch and I wasnt too sure if it was gona work but we sent the suits back to the end user, they did some swiftwater rescue training and say the suits are now dry SO they love us, we made some money on the fix, we saved the customer several thousand dollars for new suits and they will spend mo money with us when its in their budget

So think about how many square inches of area there is in a piece then calculate how many sq inches of breathablity you will lose by patching it with AQS ?

its gona be a single digit percentage figure which is why I fix with the AQS on the inside and don't worry about the loss of breathability

My stuff lasts forever but I see people who buy ski pants that drag on the ground, they don't fix the holes/rips that just get bigger, they use ductape,

so they abuse their gear and just buy a new every few years which means they don't have to worry about changes in style
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

^Which brings up a good point. Cars, clothes, wetsuits, etc. I know I'm going to break shit at some point through my own actions and I'd rather fix it here then send it in. It's back in the game faster, and I know it's done right. But our local stitch bitch just closed up shop and is sewing full time for some chichi fly fishing company, and while that's great for her, it's bad for us when we want to get shoes and clothes repaired.

Guess I'm just whining, but IMO a good shoe repair person or tailor is worth their weight in gold.

IME I don't want to send my shit out for warranty in the middle of the season which is how/why I got into fixing my own

For 15 or 20 yars i used to fix dry suits for the bro's, but it could be a bit of a hassle so when it quit being fun I decided to get out of the bidness

not 5 days later the owner of the place where i now do the repairs calls me up and offers pretty good money to do way more work like 10 times more repairs on a piece work basis, so the sales bro is now doing the business end of things

SO, I have sold out to " Big Rescue " I don't have to worry about supplies or money or dealing with the end loser, I just come in when texted, I do a little repair work, buddy cuts me a check, i make way mo money and its so easy ... I don't blame your stitch bitch for selling out
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Thanks! I appreciate the advice. I've thought about it but didn't know if it would just ruin them (or even what to ask to have done). The kick patches go about 3/4 of the way around the bottom, cutting off the inseam and outseam before they reach the cuff. I was thinking the kick patches would have to be altered too and might cost me $100-200 to get it done properly..

I was going to put them in the free box at telluride this year because I have a solid collection of pants now and don't ever wear them.

"Skiing is the easy part, Carl."

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    The toughest pair of pants and shell I ever owned was a Westcomb eVent Vapor. But honestly just got tired of the colors after ~7 years. Gave them to another mag here. I'd bet they're still going somewhere.

Not sure what Westcomb is putting out today, but they made some good stuff.
    Hahahaha. Yes, they are still being skied although not in my everyday rotation. MMP hasn't said anything. I still owe you dinner at the BLT for the gifted gear.

For jackets, you cannot do better than MiCol's FRS products. My everyday jacket (50+ days per year) is going into it's 6th season and still looks new except for the small repaired tear in a sleeve from a spruce tree. It's an Antero 2.

Hey MiCol thanks for the informed info on all the sewing and fabric "insiders info", very helpful in just understanding.

Makes me appreciate the jackets of yours more. Maybe Custom One_Off pants are next.

True. The warranty process is a pain in the ass sometimes though. I think a lot of it comes down to needing 2-3 different pant/jacket combos for various applications. Then thinking about how fast styles come and go (especially colors). If gear lasts 10 years, it'll probably be out of style or the tech will be obsolete by then. I have a pair of bombproof Patagonia H2no pants that are 10 years old and still look new, but the lower legs look like bell bottoms... That's why I do like Arc gear. The styles are understated and timeless. You can wear 10 year old pants with a new jacket and not look weird.
    Black is always in style

I checked and you do have my size but I need to have pit zips as I am a sweaty kind of guy and the vents are a must for me.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I don't have to worry about supplies or money or dealing with the end loser
    Adopting this term, thx

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    Hahahaha. Yes, they are still being skied although not in my everyday rotation. MMP hasn't said anything. I still owe you dinner at the BLT for the gifted gear.

For jackets, you cannot do better than MiCol's FRS products. My everyday jacket (50+ days per year) is going into it's 6th season and still looks new except for the small repaired tear in a sleeve from a spruce tree. It's an Antero 2.
    No worries MNIAW. We'll hook up one day. If you get tired of the colors just pass em on to the next guy.

Spruce's are a bitch, right up there with blackberry bushes for ripping stuff.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Hawthorne trees will shred the fuck out of any jacket, excepting firemans turnout gear.
    watch out for snakes