Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bike shorts reccomendations?

Sometimes I feel like I am taking crazy pills. All I am looking for is a pair of mtb baggies that have a simple elastic waist, ala gym/workout shorts, but with made with a lightweight, quick drying (maybe even dwr coated) fabric that isn't all swooshy/flowy and ill-suited to riding like most workout shorts are. I know a lot of mtb shorts have adjusters and belt loops and all that fancy shit, but I'm not wearing a belt to ride and sometimes adjusters are fiddly to use, or make the rest of the fit funny if they are cinched in a lot...or they just add extra material in a spot that is running under the waist belt of my pack.
    A moderately trim fit to avoid snagging the saddle would ideal as well. I've long ridden in board shorts, as these tick basically all these boxes, however all my pairs are slightly loose even when cinched all the way tight at the moment, and I seem to be between sizes on every new pair I try on in stores.

Someone point me in the right direction please. The cheaper the better, but will pay more if backed by a good warranty, or just made of some superlative fabric that is both indestructible and also enjoyable to wear when 85 and humid. They do NOT need to be marketed as mtb shorts. I feel like at this point the answer is going to be something like "Dude, how did you not know about jai alai shorts? this is EXACTLY how they are designed"

Bike shorts reccomendations?

I rarely wear mtn bike baggies cuz I’m old and I don’t care, but every once in a while I want to where them, so I looked for the same thing you are looking for and bought the Pearl Izumi Summit. Pricey, but I found them for 1/2 off somewhere. https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/sho.../p/191119046DT
    Edit: these have an attached liner now. Mine are shorts only.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Those (the elevenpine) are interesting, but a little bit more spendy than I'd like, particularly from a brand with no reputation. Doesn't mean they can't be good... But I also don't want to get burned.

A little more searching on my own and I did find the Gore C5 Light shorts. Anyone have any experience with those?

I was checking out the summit shorts in the shop the other day..they did seem pretty nice but I had my 1 year old with me and he was not interested in being set down long enough to let me try on a pair.

I have a couple pairs of zoic shorts that seem to fit your criteria.

Should also add that I've been riding without a chamois lately, so while bibs (well, my one very nice pair) are comfy especially on longer rides, family commitments have me resigned to shorter rides and it's just easier to not have to change out of a sweaty pair of bibs or liners before I spend an hour or two cooking or running errands or whatever.

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk

I wear the OR 10" Ferosi shorts all summer long for multiple sports, and especially like them for mountain biking. I've done a 20 mile ride then gone out to a nice dinner in the same pair more than once. They may require a belt, although I usually don't wear one, fabric has a little stretch. I wear padded shorts underneath of course for longer rides.

I think I own about 6 pairs: https://www.outdoorresearch.com/au/e.../2440550001325

I've yet to find any "Mtb Specific" clothing that I really like. Club Ride stuff was decent.

ETA: When I need a belt, the low profile Patagonia friction belts are hardly noticeable

Got lucky on S&C several years ago and picked up some stretchy nylon shorts with pockets that work well over padded liners. I forget what brand they are but they were cheap and came in a variety of colors and designs.

I have never been fond of the spandex look and always seek to wear shorts over the padded stuff.

ETA, also grabbed some nice light weight shorts at Costco this year that should do well for bike wear but they are already putting out winter shit last time I was there.
    watch out for snakes

I always wear a belt so it can double as tourniquet.

Didn’t read OP but Flylow Cash is the ticket for me.

Swrve cycling.

Fox Flexair shorts would probably work for what you're looking for. They're very light weight, and the back is an elastic band. The front closure is a ratcheting strap that works well. The side pockets have zippers, but sit on the outside of your legs so you can easily keep a cell phone in one without it impeding pedaling. The fabric seems durable enough for me. That said, I have noticed that the stitching on the ass of mine is starting to unravel a bit after repeated butt-buzzes from my tire.

My go-to short though is the Troy Lee Ruckus, available as both shell and with liner. I had 2 pairs from 2014 that are still in service today (which I gave away to a friend because my phone got too big for the older model hamstring pocket). The more recent ones have a hamstring pocket that perfectly holds a cell phone. The fabric is very tough, but stretches easily. The seam stitching is protected and has survived plenty of tire buzzes. They have a light DWR finish, but it's more for sprinkles than real rain. There's zippered interior thigh vents that may or may not help cool things down. The one thing you may not like about them is that they have elastic & velcro waist adjusters on the sides. They don't seem to cause any bunching for me though, and I only need to change them when I put on (or lose) ~5 lbs of weight.

I hate super baggy shorts. Try Sportful Giara over shorts: https://www.backcountry.com/sportful...SABEgI5SvD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    ETA, also grabbed some nice light weight shorts at Costco this year that should do well for bike wear but they are already putting out winter shit last time I was there.
    Someone recommended to me Costco's house brand shorts - the Gerry. Yeah, the name.... But they are $12 a pair, simple, light weight, comfy, plenty of pockets, and did I mention $12. Might be seasonal. I only bought 1 pair but will buy more next time I see them. Not online right now. They come with a belt but you don't need to use it.

Otherwise I've been using the same 3 pairs of Endura shorts for about 10 yrs. They are getting pretty threadbare now but I've been super impressed with them. Can't stand the liners that came with them so I use Zoic liners.

Found these last night: https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/lite-f...parel#start=20
    gonna give them a try

If those are a no go, the Fox seem like a great option. I think I had found those previously and assumed from the pics that because they had the little ratchet belt that there was no way the waist had any elastic, so that's good to know.

I like Dakine. Not too baggy, lightweight, and durable. The problem with all these companies is they change the style and name so when you finally need a new pair you don't know what is close to the exact replacement.

I just ordered my third pair of Pearl Izumi Canyon shorts. There may be better integrated shorts out there, but I like Canyons. They fit well, I really like the minimal liner, and I've been able to find them for ~$30. I've gotten three years of exclusive, heavy use out of each pair, and have only replaced them because the chamois is shot. The shells are fine.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I've had EMS shorts that lasted several years. The chamois liner is very light weight so you can't wear them without the external shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I've had EMS shorts that lasted several years. The chamois liner is very light weight so you can't wear them without the external shorts.
    Rog! Is that you!!

I have an older pair of canyon shorts...I think they got stretched out in many dimensions because now I have to have the adjusters way in to keep them from falling off and I'm constantly snagging the inseam on the saddle. Just can't wear them anymore. Saw a pair of the current ones in the shop the other day and the material was almost Dickies thick. Couldn't be a much different short than the ones I have other than being their cheaper option.

I'm really happy with the UrbanCycling Flex 2 shorts (see here).
    The waist isn't elastic, they have 2 large velcro adjustments which stay in place (unlike half of the other shorts I own). The zippered pockets are a bit tight so you won't fit a phone in there, I usually stick gels or blocks in there. The material is thin softshell so they're very breathable and dry quick. They have front-of-the-thigh zippers for ventilation, not sure they do much. They are definitely not overly long or baggy which is why I like them: no saddle snag, no creep while grunting uphill, it's the only pair of shorts I own that I don't think about while riding.
    $50 without the liner which isn't that great, not exactly cheap but significantly cheaper than most dedicated bike shorts.

Board shorts. Hard to recommend a specific model since there are.so many different cuts/fabrics out there but this is the time of year to shop for bathing suits on closeout

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Rog! Is that you!!
    I thought Rog preferred 5” inseams.

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    Board shorts. Hard to recommend a specific model since there are.so many different cuts/fabrics out there but this is the time of year to shop for bathing suits on closeout

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Basically all I ride in...pretty much just want board shorts with more adjustment range. Or wish the local selection was better.