Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Watermelon salad like that is killer. a handful of chopped nuts gives it a little texture and is good too.

A couple of recent nominees for faves.... with the dessert wine.....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1966 2.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	811.0 KB 
ID:	291632Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2007.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	951.6 KB 
ID:	291633Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2008.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	593.4 KB 
ID:	291634
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Ice I grill my corn husk-on. It’s that damed sweet.

This is today’s star of the show however

Attachment 291624

(End of summer/early fall is when I see family and we break out the good stuff)
    19 fucking 97?!?!?!?

Somebody has a wine cave.

It had been stuck under the edge of the waterbed for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    For me, the trick to grilling corn is remove the silk, but wrap keep the husk and wrap in foil.

That Cakebread must be delish
    That's how I usually grill my corn too, though I'll put some butter under the husk after removing the silk.

The only veggies I really like to char on the grill are asparagus and zucchini, though I'm open to other suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    It's gotta get that chargrilled thing to be real though, is that happening in the husks? Seems like it couldn't.

Corn has been bred/engineered so sweet I can't stand a lot of it, it's actually better if it sits a couple days so some of the sugar converts to starch. It's been bred to ship from Florida and still be sweet a week later but that doesn't make it better imo.

I'm sure Ohio corn is good but I'm pretty sure it's just corn and what you're tasting is just memories and connections to your lost youth. I know for a fact that the Massachusetts homegrown corn I had a kid was fucking nonpareil. Or do I?
    While there is no doubt there’s some of what you attribute to the taste, I’ll put that Szalay’s black dirt sweet corn up against anything. Florida corn, and all corn from the South sucks ass.

As to the char, I grill on the TEC, that thing gives it a perfect slight char through the husk and the moisture from the husk kinda steams it a bit.

That Cakebread must be delish
    It was, the singular best thing I’ve tasted in recent memory, if not in years.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    19 fucking 97?!?!?!?

Somebody has a wine cave.
    Finally getting Mom to sell the old homestead, which means over the last year we’ve been diving into the cellar... a lot. Today was an exceptionally good day.

It had been stuck under the edge of the waterbed for a few years.

I still call it The Jake.

Here's that corn recipe - so very good but also messy so have some napkins on hand:

MEXICAN-STYLE CHARCOAL-GRILLED CORN

Serves 6.

WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS:
    To achieve maximum charring without drying out the corn, we grilled husked corn directly on the grates over a very hot fire. Coating the corn with oil and chili powder gave it spice and prevented it from sticking to the grill. A mixture of sour cream and mayonnaise proved a good substitute for hard-to-find crema in the sauce used to coat the cooked corn in this authentic-tasting grilled corn recipe.
    If you can find queso fresco or Cotija, use either in place of the Pecorino Romano.

INGREDIENTS

• Vegetable oil for cooking grate
    • 1/4cup regular or light mayonnaise
    • 3tablespoons sour cream
    • 3tablespoons minced fresh cilantro leaves
    • 1medium garlic clove , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 teaspoon)
    • 3/4teaspoon chili powder
    • 1/4teaspoon ground black pepper
    • 1/4teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
    • 4teaspoons juice from 1 lime
    • 1ounce Pecorino Romano , grated (about 1/2 cup) (see note)
    • 4teaspoons vegetable oil
    • 1/2teaspoon kosher salt or 1/4 teaspoon table salt
    • 6large ears corn , husks and silk removed

1. Light large chimney starter filled with charcoal (6 quarts, about 100 briquettes) and allow to burn until coals are fully ignited and partially covered with thin layer of ash, about 20 minutes. Arrange all coals in even layer over half of grill, leaving other half empty. Position cooking grate over coals, cover grill, and heat grate until hot, about 5 minutes; scrape grate clean with grill brush. Dip wad of paper towels in vegetable oil; holding wad with tongs, wipe cooking grate.

2. While grill is heating, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, cilantro, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon chili powder, black pepper, cayenne (if using), lime juice, and cheese in large bowl; set aside. In second large bowl, combine oil, salt, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon chili powder; add corn and toss until coated evenly.

3. Grill corn over coals, turning occasionally, until lightly charred on all sides, 7 to 12 minutes total. Remove from grill and place in bowl with mayonnaise mixture; toss to coat evenly. Serve immediately.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    To achieve maximum charring without drying out the corn, we grilled husked corn directly on the grates over a very hot fire.
    I'm just sayin.

I'm just sayin.
    What can I say? I do what I'm told. Mine is not to ask why but to eat delicious corn and it was.

Now go back to the Weed thread and take a look at that dry herb/extract vape Mooseknuckles posted. Looks cool.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

I'm just sayin.
    Like the TEC. (just with husks on, ha!)

Weren’t you shopping one? It’s hotter than the sun, and not an ideal all-arounder, but man that thing cooks even.
    I still call it The Jake.

To me, corn grilling technique depends on what you are making

For street corn (a staple on Tues nites here) I remove husks and cut the cobs in half. Grill on high until nicely charred (like KQs photo) then quickly toss into the sauce, dredge it around and remove to a plate. The cob retains a shitload of heat and melts the cojita, which then congeals with the mix as it cools.

Sometimes I cut the kernels off the cob and throw it into the tacos.

For straight up CoC, I Soak corn in husk for an hour in cold water, remove as much silk as I can without removing husk, then throw on grill until the husk is burnt & falling off. Peel back husk (gloves recommended), throw on grill for a couple of minutes to burn off last of silk. Serve with husk as a handle.

In both cases I try to source as close and fresh as i can. Which our local produce stand brings in from about 100 miles away.

ETA - my method for street corn is like what KQ just posted above, only I don’t use mayo in the crema.

@ BMills: Yeah but my Weber won't die. It's been giving end-of-life signals for quite a while now, but the fucker lights and cooks, so...

Your favorite end of summer meal

Grilled chicken (we raised)
    Pesto pasta (our basil)
    Blueberry crisp (from our bushes)
    Home brewed pale ale.

Name:	IMG_4027.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	473.0 KB 
ID:	291784

Name:	IMG_4026.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	242.5 KB 
ID:	291785

Name:	IMG_4025.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	194.4 KB 
ID:	291786

"The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

When I lived at the Lake of the Ozarks we had a big neighborhood bbq every year the weekend after labor day. Celebration of the best time of year, warm days, cooler nights and the tourist season was over\.
    We would get the large bbq from the Knights of Columbus (those boys were bought off easy with beer). 4 - 5 crates of corn soaked in salt water and full husk and about 100 pork chops (neighbors uncle had a pig farm) were the base. Everyone brought out deserts, sides, beers, booze, etc.. Hill billy as hell but great time.

that was my true summer end of summer meal. So much fun, my kids were young and had a ton of other kids to play with. Us dads would bbq all day, taking turns on who was dragging the kids around with the boat. Figured it out if I stepped up to run the bbq I was handed beer all day, whiskey on occasion, and never had to burn my gas on the kids around the lake. Dam good times.

I'm sure Ohio corn is good but I'm pretty sure it's just corn and what you're tasting is just memories and connections to your lost youth. I know for a fact that the Massachusetts homegrown corn I had a kid was fucking nonpareil. Or do I?
    Ohio corn isn’t worth smuggling. The only corn I’ve ever tasted that’s worth smuggling, and I’ve eaten Ohio corn, is Olathe corn from Olathe CO. For that corn and some Palisade peaches I’d risk a full cavity search.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

I know that we have some great chefs around here. I'm cooking up an inch and one half thick nicely marbleized Wagyu rib eye. It has been dry rubbed with truffle salt, crushed mustard seeds, garlic and onion powder and pepper. My question is with all that fat, should I stick some butter on it when grilling, or not? Also, tonight I am making a veggie meddely with beans, eggplant, peppers, tomatoes and squash, and CoC soaked in milk and grilled, with a nice brunello. A good meal, but it can't compare with the pickled eggplant sandwich.

Name:	IMG_5082.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	916.7 KB 
ID:	291790
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Wouldn't put butter on any steak, but think even for people that like butter, Wagyu would be a no go zone for butter.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    That's how I usually grill my corn too, though I'll put some butter under the husk after removing the silk.

The only veggies I really like to char on the grill are asparagus and zucchini, though I'm open to other suggestions.
    Eggplant, peppers of almost any type

I know that we have some great chefs around here. I'm cooking up an inch and one half thick nicely marbleized Wagyu rib eye. It has been dry rubbed with truffle salt, crushed mustard seeds, garlic and onion powder and pepper. My question is with all that fat, should I stick some butter on it when grilling, or not? Also, tonight I am making a veggie meddely with beans, eggplant, peppers, tomatoes and squash, and CoC soaked in milk and grilled, with a nice brunello. A good meal, but it can't compare with the pickled eggplant sandwich.

You better use a cast iron and not waste any of that glorious wagou fat.

If you do grill it, careful you don't set it on fire. I'd skip the butter myself for sure.

Thanks. I grilled it Pittsburgh style bloody. No butter...just dry rub.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Thanks for the corn recipe KQ. I will give it a try before the summer is out.

I luv me sum corn on the cob. One more week.
    watch out for snakes

Sous vide then skillet. Boil the bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.