Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Your favorite end of summer meal

I love fish, beef, cheeses, most veggies, berries and peaches, but my absolute favorite ""late summer" meal is italian pickled eggplant, or aububade.
    eggplant, garlic, basil, peppers, garlic, parsley and oregano layered in a jar and doused with white wine vinegar, and left to rest for two weeks. Place on italian bread coated with evoo and anchovies
    This is day 1:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5068.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	291574
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Had my maybe favorite last night, lobsters from the dock 150 yards down the road, corn from the farm just up the road, tomatoes and basil from the garden, butter and mozzarella from the dairy across town, evoo and some kickass balsamic from italy, mangia.

Tonight I'm gonna do the same thing but I have some grass-fed strip steaks in the fridge instead of the bugs.

Another DSM thread...

Hmmmm, never given this much thought, usually by the end of summer I'm toast, worn out from irrigating and chasing weeds. If I had to throw something out there off the top of my head I'd have to say it would probably be something like grilled cumin-rubbed flank steak with Mexican street corn

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Last dance with the white shoes? Pretty much anything cooked out back on the grill and shared with family and friends. I'll probably quit taking care of the cheezy above ground pool and school is starting back up. End the extended weekend with some fireworks and a cool watermelon..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

beer
    watch out for snakes

Name:	20190817_171358.jpeg 
Views:	112 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	291590Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190817_172300.jpeg 
Views:	109 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	291592

Usually followed by lobsters, corn, sunset.

Winner winner oyster dinner!

Had to fly to get the worlds greatest sweet corn (Szalay’s)... and pair it with some decent juice.

Name:	A739FE91-7B14-4A05-A632-4CE69AE7C5E5.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	715.0 KB 
ID:	291604

Rest of the meal was fresh heirloom tomatoes, local buffalo mozzarella, backyard basil, olive oil and vidalias (brought from GA) and some fresh Lake Erie perch.

That’s it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	114D845C-47F0-43A1-8592-F6A7338EB03D.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	716.8 KB 
ID:	291602  
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Had to fly to get the worlds greatest sweet corn (Szalay’s)... and pair it with some decent juice.

Name:	A739FE91-7B14-4A05-A632-4CE69AE7C5E5.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	715.0 KB 
ID:	291604

Rest of the meal was fresh heirloom tomatoes, local buffalo mozzarella, backyard basil, olive oil and vidalias (brought from GA) and some fresh Lake Erie perch.

That’s it.
    How did the chardonnay age? I don't have the patience (or cellar) to pull off a 12 year wait.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    How did the chardonnay age? I don't have the patience (or cellar) to pull off a 12 year wait.
    It was fan fucking tastic. No joke. It was cellar-kept so I’m sure that helped but it had changed to a darker, more amber color and had layers of flavor. I thought the first taste was great out of the bottle, it was truly great fifteen minutes later in the glass.

ETA: I’m currently smuggling 12 ears of corn and 3 heirloom tomatoes in my carryon.

Name:	EB467362-B44E-47DF-81D0-DCED1790FB72.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	435.8 KB 
ID:	291607

Wow! All you guys are making my mouth water
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Hmmmm, never given this much thought, usually by the end of summer I'm toast, worn out from irrigating and chasing weeds. If I had to throw something out there off the top of my head I'd have to say it would probably be something like grilled cumin-rubbed flank steak with Mexican street corn

Suddenly hungry. I love corn on the cob, but have only had it plain with butter. That looks mighty tasty. What time is dinner?

Clams and corn

Wait, no tomatoes?

I'm not a tomato eater but we've got great tomatoes here in NJ, so we got that going for us here. That and ???????
    Oh yes, pretty good bagels.

Lobster rolls

... and pretty much anything with fresh local corn on the cob

Caprese salad followed by fresh corn bisque and then an assortment of meats, fresh veggies, and halved peaches seasoned simply with salt, pepper, and lemon juice and grilled at ridiculously high heat for the entree.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by JongDoe View Post
    Suddenly hungry. I love corn on the cob, but have only had it plain with butter. That looks mighty tasty. What time is dinner?
    That corn is to die for but today it will not be happening. I'll come back and post the recipe later. Got to start evening chores now..........
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Yeesh. Aight.

Shuck the corn, pay attention to getting rid of the silk.

Rub it with a little oil, olive is perfect but whatever. lightly salt it.

Grill it until it looks good.

Spread on a mixture (that you have already made) of mayo (or mayo and sour cream, to taste), some lime juice (or not) and grated cotija cheese (or feta if you can't find it). Let that melt, and sprinkle with Tajin and serve.

There's other (similar) ways to make it but this is as good as any and it uses longtime PR favorite Tajin.

Jong, if you are anywhere near Chester, make sure to visit the Hacklebarney Cider Farm. Best Macon's anywhere. Also, great pies and doughnuts.

Ice I grill my corn husk-on. It’s that damed sweet.

This is today’s star of the show however

Name:	D4211CA1-3610-418F-8126-C77786C3470C.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	412.0 KB 
ID:	291624

(End of summer/early fall is when I see family and we break out the good stuff)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B8B73237-B4B1-40EA-990D-CA86FBD44AC7.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	410.9 KB 
ID:	291623  

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Ice I grill my corn husk-on. It’s that damed sweet.
    It's gotta get that chargrilled thing to be real though, is that happening in the husks? Seems like it couldn't.

Corn has been bred/engineered so sweet I can't stand a lot of it, it's actually better if it sits a couple days so some of the sugar converts to starch. It's been bred to ship from Florida and still be sweet a week later but that doesn't make it better imo.

I'm sure Ohio corn is good but I'm pretty sure it's just corn and what you're tasting is just memories and connections to your lost youth. I know for a fact that the Massachusetts homegrown corn I had a kid was fucking nonpareil. Or do I?

For me, the trick to grilling corn is remove the silk, but wrap keep the husk and wrap in foil.

That Cakebread must be delish

End of summer is over a month away
    For hot day in middle of summer (like today)
    Watermelon on a bed of arugula, with feta cheese and a balsamic reduction
    Name:  watermelon-feta-mint-salad-recipe-3.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  177.9 KB
    (Not my photo)