Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stayhighstaydry View Post
    FWIW.

When I lived in Vail in the mid 70's, I remember talk then of remains of a lost skier being found the following summer. Word was then that they had tree welled in the back and had been eaten by a mountian lion.

Wondering how often does someone at a ski area go missing, not to be found until spring time? Can't recall hearing of any others, although before the internet something like this may not have been widely disseminated.
    Sugar Bowl 2 years ago. It sucked All during the spring kept looking over there thinking He's right over there and will pop up any time now.

Might have been more than two years, Time just kinda folds together in my world
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    The mountains are as cold and lonely as they were 200 years ago. Do not ski arone.
    I love that sign at Killington. Nice work on the l/r thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Sorry bud, Shangri-la was a joke. If you have skied any considerable time, friends dying is pretty normal. I've got a wall of newspaper obits at my place.

Harden the fuck up and don't fuck up. Sorry about your new bunk buddy. I bet he had a heart attack and was out quick.
    Interesting the words you used. A friend pulled a bonehead chain of bad decisions and had his truck roll over him as he was working under it killing himself. One of his mantras was rule number 5. Such a dumbass.

Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    The joking in this thread has got to be some kind of psychological coping strategy, a lot like Gallows Humor. After all, if there's a population of individuals most likely to bonk our heads and wind up dead in the back/side-country, it's gotta be Maggots.

Except me. Dumbass Texans who die on mogul runs are usually found pretty quickly.

Anyway, sorry if any joke I made offended.
    They slide to the bottom...like a bad snack dispenser.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    Skeletal remains found in Back Bowls
    Well, I'm never eating at that place again.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Sugar Bowl 2 years ago. It sucked All during the spring kept looking over there thinking He's right over there and will pop up any time now.

Might have been more than two years, Time just kinda folds together in my world
    I think it was 2 years. He was ob, likely avy.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I think it was 2 years. He was ob, likely avy.
    Yep, worked there. I was there the day it happened and the day they were looking after a big storm;. Knowing the place. We all knew he was not for off
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

I made a tasteless joke about some young people who had been murdered and people ripped me a new one, deservedly, but I guess some people think it's ok because the guy was Chinese. I've lost a close friend climbing and a close friend in the Revelstoke avalanche; I think many if not most on this forum could say the same thing and wouldn't want their friend joked about. Thanks for your post.
    I think it's like, "a skeleton nobody here knew"

seems like one of those little important moments where you realize you're part of a problem (being obtuse....not respecting life....forgetting this is on the internet forever...) and maybe we all get a little better for it.

Maybe that's a tiny last gift, lesson--whatever, from Mr. Chen to us.

There was this moment in my wildland fire career:

A couple of helitack crewmen had been burned over, and we (a room full of us, in a yearly refresher) were conducting a thorough analysis of the events, speculating about what went wrong, and what would have needed to go right for them to live.
    The leader of this process was one of the most squared-away firefighters I've ever worked with. He was a serious mountaineer and had that cold, analytical, robotic countenance you sometimes see with those types. I think he'd done Everest, with the bodies everywhere. Either way, in wildland fire, you analyze these fatalities so much that you're mentally surrounded by bodies every time you work. The ghosts keep you alive, so you have to get to know them at their worst. You have to see them fucking up in front of you so you know where not to go. You have to see them getting crushed by the tree, or not paying attention to the fire behavior and getting caught by running fire. The ghosts of fucking up are so important, so you have to get to know them.

A friend of the deceased was in the room, having to take the class for the upcoming fire season. She just came unglued.

I think it's psychological armor. None of us wanted to get burned up, so these guys were just a packet of poor decisions for us to learn from. To her, they were complete, unique, meaningful human beings and the thing was an unfathomable tragedy. None of us want to be an unidentified skeleton they find in the summer. So you joke around.

I don't know. When you get that feeling, when you're way out somewhere, alone, at the end of the day, and you say "I better get myself out of this safely"....that will be our Mr. Chen. He's one of our ghosts.

Sorry about the shit talking. It's just what people do when we're uncomfortable. If you get to know almost any comedian, you find something awful in there making them uncomfortable.
    Thinking about dying alone in the mountains is uncomfortable, so we unconsciously think about all the ways that event is different from us. Chinese, skeleton....I'm a full-on human being from the USA dammit.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post

A couple of helitack crewmen had been burned over, and we (a room full of us, in a yearly refresher) were conducting a thorough analysis of the events, speculating about what went wrong, and what would have needed to go right for them to live.
    The leader of this process was one of the most squared-away firefighters I've ever worked with. He was a serious mountaineer and had that cold, analytical, robotic countenance you sometimes see with those types. I think he'd done Everest, with the bodies everywhere. Either way, in wildland fire, you analyze these fatalities so much that you're mentally surrounded by bodies every time you work. The ghosts keep you alive, so you have to get to know them at their worst. You have to see them fucking up in front of you so you know where not to go. You have to see them getting crushed by the tree, or not paying attention to the fire behavior and getting caught by running fire. The ghosts of fucking up are so important, so you have to get to know them.

A friend of the deceased was in the room, having to take the class for the upcoming fire season. She just came unglued.

I think it's psychological armor. None of us wanted to get burned up, so these guys were just a packet of poor decisions for us to learn from. To her, they were complete, unique, meaningful human beings and the thing was an unfathomable tragedy. None of us want to be an unidentified skeleton they find in the summer. So you joke around.

I don't know. When you get that feeling, when you're way out somewhere, alone, at the end of the day, and you say "I better get myself out of this safely"....that will be our Mr. Chen. He's one of our ghosts.

Sorry about the shit talking. It's just what people do when we're uncomfortable. If you get to know almost any comedian, you find something awful in there making them uncomfortable.
    Thinking about dying alone in the mountains is uncomfortable, so we unconsciously think about all the ways that event is different from us. Chinese, skeleton....I'm a full-on human being from the USA dammit.
    Good perspective given the position we put ourselves in some times.
    Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post

I just read this.
    I think everyone here does things DO Things that could end in a tough death. All of us! Some to make money some just because.

We all know, we have all seen. But we do.

I have skied with you. I looked into your eyes. We do it, because we are built that way.

RIP - He died doing what he loved "Feeling alive" Is appropriate more often than not among this group or people.

As for the Sencitivitty posts here. A caustic sense of humor is a must in our world. - So STFU and Eat A Bag Of Dicks.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

I have skied with you. I looked into your eyes. We do it, because we are built that way.
    Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 593
Size:  94.1 KB

I A caustic sense of humor is a must in our world. - So STFU and Eat A Bag Of Dicks.
    Now THAT'S greeting card content right there!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I just read this.
    I think everyone here does things DO Things that could end in a tough death. All of us! Some to make money some just because.

We all know, we have all seen. But we do.

RIP - He died doing what he loved "Feeling alive" Is appropriate more often than not among this group or people.

As for the Sencitivitty posts here. A caustic sense of humor is a must in our world. - So STFU and Eat A Bag Of Dicks.
    gallows humor is one thing, racist gallows humor is another.

Skeletal remains found in Back Bowls

gallows humor is one thing, racist gallows humor is another.
    Someone said something that implied his inferiority based upon his Chinese race?

Oh you mean the pronunciation jokes??

A far cry from racist. The term racism has jumped the shark and morphed from denoting the espousing that a racial group is inferior to any comment, joke, or observation about a racial group. Do I now get to be all indignant about those blond jokes as racist?

The pinnacle of TGR gallows humor was the Foot found at Eldora thread. Funny stuff in there.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...Remains-Inside

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Yeah, that thread had legs.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Someone said something that implied his inferiority based upon his Chinese race?

A far cry from racist. The term racism has jumped the shark and morphed from denoting the espousing that a racial group is inferior to any comment, joke, or observation about a racial group. Do I now get to be all indignant about those blond jokes as racist?

The pinnacle of TGR gallows humor was the Foot found at Eldora thread. Funny stuff in there.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...Remains-Inside

gallows humor is one thing, ethnic stereotyping gallows humor is another.
    Is that better? (Most people do think ethnic stereotyping is a form of racism, but some people are slow to catch on. Ask a blond woman how blond jokes make her feel. My son's blond fiance in osteopathic school had to get a pair of fake glasses before her instructors would take her seriously.)

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Yeah, that thread had legs.
    And she knows how to use them?

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post

A far cry from racist.

I guess you missed the driving jokes..

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I guess you missed the driving jokes..
    Yes, what jokes?

Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

I do.

Besides, why do you think there's always a traffic problem over there?
    This one?
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I hope he wasn't driving to Whistler.
    Maybe this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Maybe this one?
    FFS

At least he wasn't blond.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    FFS

At least he wasn't blond.
    This limey's not bigoted, He makes fun of pretty much everybody..