Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    a week-long, solo mission.
    The first Chinaman to ski the back bowls at Vail hardly counts as a "mission".
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

perhaps he was Mormon?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    perhaps he was Mormon?
    A Chinamorm?

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    A Chinamorm?
    Latter-Day Maoist

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    The first Chinaman to ski the back bowls at Vail hardly counts as a "mission".
    Chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature, dude.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

It might be here, he wasn't Asian American.

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    Latter-Day Maoist

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature, dude.
    Yeah Brit, you sexist bastard. It's Chinaperson now.

Yeah Brit, you sexist bastard. It's Chinaperson now.
    He obviously identified CIS ( Chinese Independent Skier)

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    It might be here, he wasn't Asian American.
    yeah, well, that's just, like, you know, your opinion, man.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

CS2-6 would be a stupid name for a run.
    Oh yeah, no doubt. I mean, "CS2-6" is even a stupid name for a forum handle; let alone a run, amirite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    yeah, well, that's just, like, you know, your opinion, man.
    Hell, I can get ya a lost skier by 3 o'clock this afternoon... with nail polish. These fucking amateurs.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

How do you know Shangri-La? Vail SAR declined to tell me that detail because it was still under investigation.

All of the jokes might seem funny, but I skied with Chen a few days before he went missing and I feel awful about this. We were both staying at the Bunkhouse (I did not know him before) and we did a few runs together and he followed me on the traverse out to Rasputin and we did a few runs. He went back out there on a later date and never came back. I spent a good deal of time on the phone with the Eagle County Sheriff, Vail Patrol, and finally Vail SAR to help them narrow down their search and I provided some photos of him in ski gear. I really hoped he had bailed on his life in China and was working at a bar in Vegas or something.
    This is gnawing at me. It was inbounds and on the map and open, but still...
    Chen was a good guy and bought me a few beers and we had some laughs. I am really sorry.
    I do ski trees and side country alone. I skied Shangri La solo countless times. Chen was a pretty good skier. I would really like to know what happened.
    I carry a Garmin Inreach mini even inbounds now. Wont save me if I hit my head or get stuck in a treewell, but might save me in some situation.

To the people with condolences and positive vibes: you get it. I really hope he did not suffer, but went painlessly. He died skiing, doing what he really loved.
    To the people making jokes: this guy died. Dead. He had a family and friends. Think about it. Lots of people in SAR, patrol and law enforcement put out a huge effort. I like joking around, but have some respect.

If you have ever had a ski buddy die skiing... it's weird.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    On Shangri-la.

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    How do you know Shangri-La? Vail SAR declined to tell me that detail because it was still under investigation.

All of the jokes might seem funny, but I skied with Chen a few days before he went missing and I feel awful about this. We were both staying at the Bunkhouse (I did not know him before) and we did a few runs together and he followed me on the traverse out to Rasputin and we did a few runs. He went back out there on a later date and never came back. I spent a good deal of time on the phone with the Eagle County Sheriff, Vail Patrol, and finally Vail SAR to help them narrow down their search and I provided some photos of him in ski gear. I really hoped he had bailed on his life in China and was working at a bar in Vegas or something.
    Chen was a good guy and bought me a few beers and we had some laughs. I am really sorry.
    I do ski trees and side country alone. I skied Shangri La solo countless times. Chen was a pretty good skier. I would really like to know what happened.
    I carry a Garmin Inreach mini even inbounds now. Wont save me if I hit my head or get stuck in a treewell, but might save me in some situation.

To the people with condolences and positive vibes: you get it. I really hope he did not suffer, but went painlessly. He died skiing, doing what he really loved.
    To the people making jokes: this guy died. Dead. He had a family and friends. Think about it. Lots of people in SAR, patrol and law enforcement put out a huge effort. I like joking around, but have some respect.

I made a tasteless joke about some young people who had been murdered and people ripped me a new one, deservedly, but I guess some people think it's ok because the guy was Chinese. I've lost a close friend climbing and a close friend in the Revelstoke avalanche; I think many if not most on this forum could say the same thing and wouldn't want their friend joked about. Thanks for your post.

Thanks for the additional info. Agree, jokes were over the line. Guilty as charged..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Man, tough situation. Be certain that it’s not your fault. He made a choice to go wherever alone and probably would have whether you showed him around or not.

And makes one think about all those times we all ski alone. Hell even when skiing with friends I might be 40 yards to the right or left in the trees...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

jhyatt, sorry for your loss.

Sorry bud, Shangri-la was a joke. If you have skied any considerable time, friends dying is pretty normal. I've got a wall of newspaper obits at my place.

Harden the fuck up and don't fuck up. Sorry about your new bunk buddy. I bet he had a heart attack and was out quick.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    If you have skied any considerable time, friends dying is pretty normal. I've got a wall of newspaper obits at my place.

Harden the fuck up and don't fuck up. Sorry about your new bunk buddy. I bet he had a heart attack and was out quick.
    Was about to post something very similar, but well said. Comes with the territory.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Was about to post something very similar, but well said. Comes with the territory.
    Risk of death might be on the back of the lift ticket, but I don't know anyone that has ever died riding lifts, thankfully.

Vibes to fallen skier, friends, and loved ones. Thanks to JHyatt and CaliforniaGrown for pointing out the fact that we lost a member of a tribe, not a foreign national deserving of degradation over his misfortune.

And Benny, absolutely nobody calls it 'Fort Ree' get a clue.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I apologize if I offended anyone as well. I blame Brit .

That said, if I die in any of the back or front bowls, feel free to have a laugh or two at my expense. Once my wife and family get over the initial shock, I expect the same. Celebrate life, and don't mourn death or beat yourself up with "if only's."

Peace Chen.

I apologize if I offended anyone as well. I blame Brit
    I'm offended by that.

He was found in the aspen trees near Apres Vous........

Not joking.

The joking in this thread has got to be some kind of psychological coping strategy, a lot like Gallows Humor. After all, if there's a population of individuals most likely to bonk our heads and wind up dead in the back/side-country, it's gotta be Maggots.

Except me. Dumbass Texans who die on mogul runs are usually found pretty quickly.

Anyway, sorry if any joke I made offended.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    Risk of death might be on the back of the lift ticket, but I don't know anyone that has ever died riding lifts, thankfully.

Vibes to fallen skier, friends, and loved ones. Thanks to JHyatt and CaliforniaGrown for pointing out the fact that we lost a member of a tribe, not a foreign national deserving of degradation over his misfortune.

And Benny, absolutely nobody calls it 'Fort Ree' get a clue.
    I do.

Besides, why do you think there's always a traffic problem over there?

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    He was found in the aspen trees near Apres Vous........

Not joking.
    Thanks, I was wondering.
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post

Besides, why do you think there's always a traffic problem over there?
    IDK, it always seems to be some white person in a Prius these days..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!