Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    How can they scan people skiing over to slopeside lodging then driving away or other exit points? Literally hundreds of places to enter or leave aren't there?
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    How can they scan people skiing over to slopeside lodging then driving away or other exit points? Literally hundreds of places to enter or leave aren't there?
    it really sounds like you don't do this whole "ski" thing very often.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by stayhighstaydry View Post
    Wondering how often does someone at a ski area go missing, not to be found until spring time? Can't recall hearing of any others, although before the internet something like this may not have been widely disseminated.
    Bear Valley lost one a year ago. Reported missing one evening in February. Searched all night in a storm, and on and off till Spring. Found body close to a run. They've been annoyingly anal about scanning passes since.

RIP lost skiers.

http://www.calaverasenterprise.com/n...00a332ce6.html

eta: some quick googling suggests we lose one or more per year who aren't found immediately. Most dead are found within hours or days. Again RIP Mr. Chen.
    Last edited by LongShortLong; 08-20-2019 at 03:32 PM. Reason: add info
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    They've been annoyingly anal about scanning passes since.
    That'll have nothing to do with missing skier.

Unless it's done when you leave the mountain... isn't that right mofro?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

NARSID... is still dead. We're only quibbling about how long until a body is found.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    At least one trip with slopeside lodging every season Mid Atlantic. No way they could scan me "leaving the resort". Several other day trips every season, but haven't been out West since the late 90s. Sounds like you're doing it wrong..

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    At least he died doing what he loved....
    Getting hopelessly lost and freezing to death?
    Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverDiver View Post
    I wonder if Vail will implement a system where you're scanned when you leave the resort after dealing with this. I could see them implementing it somehow slowly in the next several seasons.
    Well, it really depends on resort, doesn't it? At some resorts, if you really wanted to do this you could funnel skiers through gates where they have to scan to exit. For the most part, that could be done at Vail, at great expense of course. At other resorts it wouldn't be possible, like Snowmass, where there is so much slopeside lodging all over the mountain, and making people exit through egress points would be prohibitively expensive and impractical.

But seriously, why does every tragedy require a solution? A guy died and it is sad, but operations of a monster resort don't need to be changed because of this event, especially when every "change" suggested would simply have led to a more rapid body recovery.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post

But seriously, why does every tragedy require a solution? A guy died and it is sad, but operations of a monster resort don't need to be changed because of this event, especially when every "change" suggested would simply have led to a more rapid body recovery.
    Agreed, We can't idiot proof for every possible scenario. But, we can learn and adjust where prudent.

haven't been out West since the late 90s. Sounds like you're doing it wrong..
    Bwahahaha!

Mid Atlantic.
    No One Cares.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    No One Cares.
    I'll be able to tell my grandkids about it when it's no longer viable to ski here ;-)

No One Cares.
    I'll be able to tell my grandkids about it when it's no longer viable to ski here ;-)
    They won't care either.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    This. This, this, this, this!

For fuck’s sake it gets tiresome explaining to jongs.

At least one trip with slopeside lodging every season Mid Atlantic. No way they could scan me "leaving the resort". Several other day trips every season, but haven't been out West since the late 90s. Sounds like you're doing it wrong..
    Nope, you're doing it wrong.

I wonder if Vail will implement a system where you're scanned when you leave the resort after dealing with this. I could see them implementing it somehow slowly in the next several seasons.
    No problem. As things are progressing, we'll all be monitored 24/7, anywhere we go.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    No problem. As things are progressing, we'll all be monitored 24/7, anywhere we go.
    The microchip is in your wrist; Vail already has your stroke count.

The microchip is in your wrist; Vail already has your stroke count.
    This is why I pay my fluffers in cash. Gotta stay free of the big Data analyticses

Happened a few years ago at Crystal in bounds during a huge, sustained, snow event and despite coordinated search efforts with RECCO and beacons.

He now has a memorial tree.

Yeah, you don’t want to end up getting a shit named after you. Usually the name shit after you right where are you died or about where you died or because you died or some sorta death fucking thing. They never name something after you because you sat down and had a nice picnic under a tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Nope, you're doing it wrong.
    Learned in my early teens, competed in USSA Freestyle, worked as an instructor in high school, partied my ass off on western trips in college and northeast and more western trips in my 20s and 30s. I'm fine with "doing it wrong" with occasional mid size ski mountain ski in ski out lodging and more locally these days thanks..

Name:  B995DAE5-B5D1-43CA-918E-8F60CBEE7005.jpeg
Views: 955
Size:  29.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Name:  B995DAE5-B5D1-43CA-918E-8F60CBEE7005.jpeg
Views: 955
Size:  29.4 KB
    Haha Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    a tree.
    If I die on a run in or in a bowl, they better name the thing after me, not just a fucking tree.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    Bear Valley lost one a year ago. Reported missing one evening in February. Searched all night in a storm, and on and off till Spring. Found body close to a run. They've been annoyingly anal about scanning passes since.

RIP lost skiers.

http://www.calaverasenterprise.com/n...00a332ce6.html

eta: some quick googling suggests we lose one or more per year who aren't found immediately. Most dead are found within hours or days. Again RIP Mr. Chen.
    There was a guy who was a college hockey player in my small town when I was in prime childhood college hockey fan mode, played in the olympics...etc. Dude spent a week spun out on meth lost near Mammoth. Lost his feet...wrote books, motivational speaker...probably lots of Jesus stuff...yada yada.

This guy

And if you don't "scan out", what...a full-scale search operation ensues? Somehow I suspect that 99+% percent of those would result in a whole lot of worthless hubbub/expense.

This vail guy's situation was unusual, in that evidently he was on a week-long, solo mission, so his peeps a continent away did not notice him not turning up right away. But missing folks pretty much need to be reported missing. If you don't have anyone to report you missing, then you literally won't be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    If I die on a run in or in a bowl, they better name the thing after me, not just a fucking tree.
    Good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    CS2-6 would be a stupid name for a run.

My combination Hotronics + GPS ankle monitor for parolees may be just the thing for this. Sending letter to Hotronics.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang