Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
    20cm in Canmore and close to a foot in dead mans

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

85% unemployment in Banff, some MLA was quoted on the radio... jeebus...

I was down town Canmore at 5 last night getting some groceries. Could park anywhere. Bike stores are appointment only, some restaurants are open with smoking deals doing delivery. Lots of my friends are out of work. For the Friday of a long weekend or is dead. People are ski touring on highline, montane, etc. So much snow here. Even prospector is under feet of snow.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

we got a bike for the grom this week as she outgrew the older one and is bored to hell. calgary cycle delivered the bike and the entire transaction was done over the phone.

and yes, deals are to be had... but i feel for all those without jobs.

all national parks closed until june 1

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/voyage-trave.../covid-19-info

In this time of extended boredom and excessive free time, will someone please tell me about Calgary and surrounding areas? With few available outdoor activities, too much snow to garden and a rotting brain from reading the chinese rat flu thread ad nuseum, I need something less toxic than current affairs to perseverate about. How about immigration to the north?

I live in Denver and have become accostumed to day trips of hiking, trail riding and skiing after I drop the kids off at school. Is this realistic around Calgary? I can't imagine that driving for weekend skiing is as bad as Colorado's Front Range, but how is it? Tell me about schools, availablity of recreation in the city, trail riding, resort and bc skiing, road rides, bicycle commuting, the culture of the city and surrounding areas and anything else you care to share.

Tell me about the immigration process. We have family that could sponsor us in Quebec, but I can't work there. Can a sponsor live remotely from the sponsored family if financial support isn't needed? My career is on the Express Entry list of desired occupations, but I'm not sure how that process really works.

Thanks for the distraction.

I moved up here from Denver 20 years ago under NAFTA and haven't looked back, although I return to visit friends and family in the Boulder/Denver area at least once a year (Niwot's curse). I have been really happy with the outdoor recreation, career opportunities and life in Calgary. It has been an excellent place to raise my daughter and establish a home. The only thing I miss is the availability of warm rock climbing year round. Skiing requires a bit more driving for day trips but the traffic, while frantic on the weekends, is nothing like the madness of the I70 corridor. A day trip to ski after dropping the kids off and then returning before 3:30 pm is possible but will feel rushed given the longer access to good skiing. Once you look at the options of what you can access to ski for a day and especially for a long weekend and factor in the consistency of good snow in BC, then the skiing opportunities are world class. Calgary has a decent school system, although challenged with class sizes and funding with the PC government. Universities in Canada are excellent and far more affordable than in the US. Bike commuting is very common and decently supported by the city. Be warned that our winters are colder, longer and more challenging than Denver for local riding, especially road biking options. Lots of trails and fat biking within easy striking distance. The city is kind of a liberal bubble in the midst of well established conservative rural districts. There are people from all over the world in Calgary and it is much more diverse ethnically than Denver. There is a a great festival season and many live music events, theatre, arts and cultural scene and excellent restaurants ranging from funk mom and pop neighborhood ethnic cuisine to a wide variety of foodie and haute cuisine. Who knows where we are headed after Covid with the drop in oil prices and what recovery will look like? There are a ton of people employed directly and indirectly by the oil industry so its not looking pretty for a big part of the Calgary labor force. I work as an engineer (not in the oil industry) and our firm hopes that the economy will survive and continue to provide good opportunities. I think something like 10% of Calgarians are ex-pats so you will not feel like a foreigner. If you can find a good job, housing while expensive, is kind of flat lining so it will likely a good time to buy once you get your feet on the ground. Good luck!
    Last edited by sillybunt2; 04-18-2020 at 04:11 PM.

Anybody still skiing? Of course you are...We are lucky here to have room to move and we are still allowed for now. Some people might not be posting to social sites for fear of public shaming? Who knows, but what I do know is if I couldn't ski I would want to see pics of others doing it.
    This was 6 days ago before the creek access went ISO. Last day of winter snow so to speak before what will be 2 solid months of melt freeze corn harvesting.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]326301[/ATTACH
    Love skin track shots.
    ]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200418_170616_178.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	129.8 KB 
ID:	326303
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200418_170616_184.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	326301  

Quote Originally Posted by sillybunt2 View Post
    I moved up here from Denver 20 years ago under NAFTA and haven't looked back, although I return to visit friends and family in the Boulder/Denver area at least once a year (Niwot's curse). I have been really happy with the outdoor recreation, career opportunities and life in Calgary. It has been an excellent place to raise my daughter and establish a home. The only thing I miss is the availability of warm rock climbing year round. Skiing requires a bit more driving for day trips but the traffic, while frantic on the weekends, is nothing like the madness of the I70 corridor. A day trip to ski after dropping the kids off and then returning before 3:30 pm is possible but will feel rushed given the longer access to good skiing. Once you look at the options of what you can access to ski for a day and especially for a long weekend and factor in the consistency of good snow in BC, then the skiing opportunities are world class. Calgary has a decent school system, although challenged with class sizes and funding with the PC government. Universities in Canada are excellent and far more affordable than in the US. Bike commuting is very common and decently supported by the city. Be warned that our winters are colder, longer and more challenging than Denver for local riding, especially road biking options. Lots of trails and fat biking within easy striking distance. The city is kind of a liberal bubble in the midst of well established conservative rural districts. There are people from all over the world in Calgary and it is much more diverse ethnically than Denver. There is a a great festival season and many live music events, theatre, arts and cultural scene and excellent restaurants ranging from funk mom and pop neighborhood ethnic cuisine to a wide variety of foodie and haute cuisine. Who knows where we are headed after Covid with the drop in oil prices and what recovery will look like? There are a ton of people employed directly and indirectly by the oil industry so its not looking pretty for a big part of the Calgary labor force. I work as an engineer (not in the oil industry) and our firm hopes that the economy will survive and continue to provide good opportunities. I think something like 10% of Calgarians are ex-pats so you will not feel like a foreigner. If you can find a good job, housing while expensive, is kind of flat lining so it will likely a good time to buy once you get your feet on the ground. Good luck!
    Come on you miss having the freedom to chose the health care your can't afford, what do you have to say on the subject ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by sillybunt2 View Post
    The city is kind of a liberal bubble in the midst of well established conservative rural districts. There are people from all over the world in Calgary and it is much more diverse ethnically than Denver.
    It’s the first city to elect a gay Muslim mayor.

Seriously though, Calgary is pretty great. My wife and I loved just outside the city because our money went further here. Commuting into the city for work is easy, and a lot charter than most Calgarians realize. My wife’s commute is shorter than a lot of her co-workers.
    The Bow River is a world class fishery, and a destination for fly fishers.
    I don’t bike much, but our town has miles and miles of pathways and trails to ride or walk the dog.
    Nakiska is a good place to keep the family skiing, their family pass is ridiculously cheap. Their terrain isn’t very rad though. Lake Louise and Sunshine are better skiing, but more expensive.

Sent from inside the house
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

A couple of Gay folks in Calgary have told me and they think the Premier Jason Kenny is a closeted homosexual, the last guy I talked to went so far as to use the word " self hating "

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    A couple of Gay folks in Calgary have told me and they think the Premier Jason Kenny is a closeted homosexual, the last guy I talked to went so far as to use the word " self hating "
    I could see that.
    He kinda reminds me of Lionel Hutz.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

you must mean the guy in the Simpon's ?

Lhutz esq is my lawyer

When I lived in Denver, I had a solid job and employer provided health care but still had premiums that were increasing annually faster than my salary, some of that was due to having a young family. I once cut a tendon in my wrist removing overhead sheetmetal and I had to argue with Kaiser Permanante to get it repaired. Their "managed care" noted that not everyone was born with that tendon and that I should be able to function adequately without it! The hand surgeon I was sent to for evaluation was appalled and managed to find a work around and perform the reconstruction. I breathed a sigh of relief regardinng health care stress after landing in Canada and have had access to excellent health care since then. I should point out that the AB PC gov't had been working to reduce funding for health care before the Covid. Recently, they were forced to walk back a list changes in compensation for rural physicians that threatened their financial viability and was driving them away in smalller population centres. I hope the PC gets the message and leaves healthcare alone but I do not have faith in their long term vision.

Part of the problem is that the salaries in the good times of AB docs went up way higher than the provinces around them. AB was like " we have lots of money and the people want more docs we'll just pinch them from the rest of Canada" . Docs make way more in Ab than BC. Now what do you do that the econ of AB is in shitter and no O&G royalities are coming in?
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post

Seriously though, Calgary is pretty great. My wife and I loved just outside the city because our money went further here. Commuting into the city for work is easy, and a lot charter than most Calgarians realize. My wife’s commute is shorter than a lot of her co-workers.
    I don’t bike much, but our town has miles and miles of pathways and trails to ride or walk the dog.
    Nakiska is a good place to keep the family skiing, their family pass is ridiculously cheap. Their terrain isn’t very rad though. Lake Louise and Sunshine are better skiing, but more expensive.

Having family in Calgary I visit the place at least a few times a year. Almost moved there not long ago. It is a vibrant, ethnically diverse city. Easy to get around and there are seemingly lots of people who get out and do stuff. Calgary probably plays home to some of the most committed and serious 'weekend warrior' types who get to Rockies on an almost weekly basis. And despite the right wing mindset that is seemingly so prevalent there and across the province, Calagry features the absolutely best public amenities of any place I have ever been to in Canada. Parks, pools, arenas, indoor soccer centers, new schools, amazing medical facilities. You are never at a loss for good free or super cheap activities to do with the kiddos in Calgary.

Now what do you do that the econ of AB is in shitter and no O&G royalities are coming in?

That's the big question moving forward. Calgary has weathered downturns before but the double whammy of Covid and low oil prices creates a ton of uncertainty. I think there will still be opportunities here but things could really suck for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post

Having family in Calgary I visit the place at least a few times a year. Almost moved there not long ago. I like Calgary. It is a vibrant, ethnically diverse city. Easy to get around and there are seemingly lots of people who get out and do stuff. Calgary probably plays home to some of the most committed and serious 'weekend warrior' types who get to Rockies on an almost weekly basis. And despite the right wing mindset that is seemingly so prevalent there and across the province, Calagry features the absolutely best public amenities of any place I have ever been to in Canada. Parks, pools, arenas, indoor soccer centers, new schools, amazing medical facilities. You are never at a loss for good free or super cheap activities to do with the kiddos in Calgary. Oh yeah, and the Rockies !!!! My favourite mountain range. Hands, down, the Canadian Rockies take my breath more than any other mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    Part of the problem is that the salaries in the good times of AB docs went up way higher than the provinces around them. AB was like " we have lots of money and the people want more docs we'll just pinch them from the rest of Canada" . Docs make way more in Ab than BC. Now what do you do that the econ of AB is in shitter and no O&G royalities are coming in?
    Drinking beer with some MDs, I was told in Alberta they get ( got? ) a higher fee for operating on obese patients " punch body weight & height into a calculator, if the BMI is > 30 yehaw we got a Bimmer ! "

Calgary is a great city with tons of shit to do. Add in the Park, the Rockies, K Country, shit tons of skiing and the surrounding area (Drumheller, Dinosaur Provincial Park, Writing on Stone etc etc), you've got win. One extreme uncertainty is the economy, especially given the latest. When I left cowtown last Sept the local economy was already in the shitter. Downtown vacancy rates were approaching 30% with no reprieve (ie oil price recovery) on the horizon. Residential taxes were going to be raised to make up for the huge shortfall in commercial taxes given the number of companies either downsized or just plain failed (see downtown vacancy rates). It did not look pretty.

Fast forward to today, I've been told the downtown is a ghost town. All the shops in all the downtown office buildings are closed and oil futures are pennies on the barrel (with of course an additional discount for Western Select oil). I just do not see how the city is going to recover. I love the city, the area, some of the people (kidding, most of the people) but shit oh dear....

Anway timackie (with your massive 3 posts per year average) given the choice between a dying city in an primo location for out door recreation (though you have to drive a bit to get there) vs. any city in the US, I know where I'd go. But hey, you don't even know if we'd let you in never mind if you could get a job there... so whatev, JONG.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Born and raised in Cgy! Still here but I’m lucky enough to go anywhere I want during winter. That’s a bonus. When I am here- I do enjoy the Skiing. I love touring the Rockies, endless possibilities and it doesn’t rain in winter...bonus!! Biking, hiking, camping fishing r all top notch within the vicinity! It’s a great city... houses are cheap these days...-12-15 years ago you couldn’t afford to live here....despite the oil prices and pandemic the economy is still kicking. I’ve got a busy start to our seasonal construction work. People have money and they want to spend it. Good opportunities exist...this will be the third economic downfall I’ve been thru in Cgy running a business and we have never struggled...economy is stronger than downtown presents....
    Last edited by teamdirt; 04-26-2020 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    Born and raised in Cgy! Still here but I’m lucky enough to go anywhere I want during winter. That’s a bonus. When I am here- I do enjoy the Skiing. I love touring the Rockies, endless possibilities and it doesn’t rain in winter...bonus!! Biking, hiking, camping fishing r all top notch within the vicinity! It’s a great city... houses are cheap these days...-12-15 years ago you couldn’t afford to live here....despite the oil prices and pandemic the economy is still kicking. I’ve got a busy start to our seasonal construction work. People have money and they want to spend it. Good opportunities exist...this will be the third economic downfall I’ve been thru in Cgy running a business and we have never struggled...economy is stronger than downtown my present...
    So inevitably, whenever I go to Calgary, the topic of the economy always comes up. Talking about the economy is seemingly the provincial passtime in AB. For several years now, I Iisten to my friends and fam talk about how bad it is and then I say to them 'wait a minute, is it really bad, or is it Alberta bad?' The give me a knowing smile (since they are all from Ontario, Quebec, and B.C.), and without fail they me that it's not really bad, it's just Alberta bad.

Can't recall when or who but someone on this thread lamented a while ago that 'it used to be that a middle class family in Alberta could afford a home in Calgary and a vacation home in B.C, but that's not the case anymore.' ...................... Interesting definition of hard times.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    So inevitably, whenever I go to Calgary, the topic of the economy always comes up. Talking about the economy is seemingly the provincial passtime in AB. For several years now, I Iisten to my friends and fam talk about how bad it is and then I say to them 'wait a minute, is it really bad, or is it Alberta bad?' The give me a knowing smile (since they are all from Ontario, Quebec, and B.C.), and without fail they me that it's not really bad, it's just Alberta bad.

Can't recall when or who but someone on this thread lamented a while ago that 'it used to be that a middle class family in Alberta could afford a home in Calgary and a vacation home in B.C, but that's not the case anymore.' ...................... Interesting definition of hard times.
    Yeah that's all fair but it's now going to be bad... not just Alberta bad.

Oil future's trading at negative values last week and astronomical unemployment bode very poorly for Alberta for a while.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Yeah that's all fair but it's now going to be bad... not just Alberta bad.

Oil future's trading at negative values last week and astronomical unemployment bode very poorly for Alberta for a while.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    I tend to disagree...a lot of people in Alberta won’t work by choice unless it’s $30hr +

The good times have ruined us...it’s hard for me to find a unskilled labourer at $25hr...f’n joke

FYI-Oil futures have nothing to do with price of barrel sold by refineries. Oil companies sold that barrel 6months + ago at a hedged price. Futures is just a contract, traders buy in advance at hedged price then sell higher and lower depending upon supply/demand and market conditions. Profit from long profit from short. The futures contract trades hundreds of times until closing. When closed u have to take delivery

The only one losing here is the future traders as they try to dispose of a contract they can’t afford to pay or can’t take delivery of said contract. Hence-negative price to dispose of 1000barrel lots being delivered to ur personal residence....lol

Oil companies are fine- what’s not fine is that due to covid, and the adaptation of working at home, Cgy’s downtown and it’s vacancy rate has very little hope of ever recovering....
    Last edited by teamdirt; 04-26-2020 at 09:58 PM.

The world doesn't get shut down without consequences, I think its gona be bad everwhere for quite awhile, businesses will fail and that free money JT is handing out isn't really free ... the taxpayer will pay