Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24
Results 576 to 595 of 595
  1. #576
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Banff
    Posts
    20,634
    banff was not too bad for weekend tourists, canmore was VERY busy
    https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/canmore-m...A7cvx4zhhX4ybw

    https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/mobile/pe...MDVOKxFtTWOpQU

    Banff seasonal staff are running home fast
    https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/thousands...k&_gsc=MIjN6iO


  2. #577
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    give'er eh!
    Posts
    1,475
    Just heard on the news they are considering closing all national and provincial parks. They will police it by Towing and impounding any parked car. Guess we will see if they move forward with this....
    Last edited by teamdirt; 03-22-2020 at 07:41 PM.

  3. #578
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    655
    Almost every trail head was overflowing. To grant to the Calgary airport to go back to Ontario today. Traffic headed west didn't look any lighter than a normal weekend. Friends were at Mount shark.... Over flowing, Nordic centre.. Full... Heart Creek people were parked on the hiway.

    Guy standing on bridge down town with a giant sign telling people to go home.

    Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

  4. #579
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Somewhere else
    Posts
    3,914
    Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    Almost every trail head was overflowing. To grant to the Calgary airport to go back to Ontario today. Traffic headed west didn't look any lighter than a normal weekend. Friends were at Mount shark.... Over flowing, Nordic centre.. Full... Heart Creek people were parked on the hiway.

    Guy standing on bridge down town with a giant sign telling people to go home.

    Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    I personally don't have an issue with busy parking lots and it's easy to space pit once you're on a trail.

    All the parking lots for nose hill park are busier than I've ever seen them but there were no cluster of people and it's easy to give space when you cross paths.

    Put the dog on leash when I did that too.

    I could see them banning this soon anyway but I fail to see how that's even remotely as dangerous as negotiating the grocery store.

    Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

  5. #580
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    give'er eh!
    Posts
    1,475
    Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    Almost every trail head was overflowing. To grant to the Calgary airport to go back to Ontario today. Traffic headed west didn't look any lighter than a normal weekend. Friends were at Mount shark.... Over flowing, Nordic centre.. Full... Heart Creek people were parked on the hiway.

    Guy standing on bridge down town with a giant sign telling people to go home.

    Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Just got home from Van island. Nobody on road, nobody recreating and most things closed along the transcanada...until you get to Revelstoke. Revelstok, golden, lake Louise, banff -Red plated entitled ass wipes, most with sleds ( Revy/golden)stressing small towns because they think co-vid panademic equals vacation time....

    Drive from Banff to cgy was like long weekend traffic.

    People just donít get- that even just filling up the car at the gas station puts u at risk and puts everyone else at risk. This germ lives on surfaces for up to 10 days. In China the survivors are not even wearing there outdoor clothes inside once they get home. They leave them outside or wash them immediately....
    Last edited by teamdirt; 03-22-2020 at 07:33 PM.

  6. #581
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Banff
    Posts
    20,634
    some good info on visiting the moutains

    https://placestovisitthisweekend.com/Calgary


  7. #582
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Golden, BC
    Posts
    716
    I see the national parks are now closed to recreating. Well vehicle parking to recreate.

  8. #583
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    655
    https://www.rmotoday.com/banff/parks...-parks-2194635

    No more avalanche reports after March 30th. Also shutting down the Min reports

  9. #584
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    give'er eh!
    Posts
    1,475
    Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    https://www.rmotoday.com/banff/parks...-parks-2194635

    No more avalanche reports after March 30th. Also shutting down the Min reports
    I think this will really bring the point home. Last week the Avy report and AB health minister were giving people the wrong idea by telling them to get outdoors...

  10. #585
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Somewhere else
    Posts
    3,914
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    I think this will really bring the point home. Last week the Avy report and AB health minister were giving people the wrong idea by telling them to get outdoors...
    I fail to see how getting outdoors is a problem, honestly.

    I walk my dog at nose hill park and there are more people and cars then normal there, but it's so easy to keep your distance, both in the park and even in the parking lot I've never come within even 3 meters of anyone else.

    I get why they did it, to a certain extent... but I'd suggest to you that my trip to the grocery store is a lot riskier. And I'd say anyone going to work or taking transit is also a lot riskier.

    I'd like to point out that in I'm mostly in agreement with a lot of what government is doing and in fact think they could do more in some areas... I just think that things like closing the parks and freaking out over how many people are at nose hill park is not in context, and a bit of an overreaction based on things like videos of what we're seeing on Vancouver beaches.

    Yes some people are not getting the message but my experience when I'm going outside is that pretty much everyone is.

    That's just my experience and my 0.02

    Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

  11. #586
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    give'er eh!
    Posts
    1,475
    Im hoping to see this over and life going back to normal in the next 4-6weeks if we can all follow the message, "Stay home."

    But if we can't follow the "stay home" instructions that the "Who," China and all of Europe are warning us to do then be prepared for the long haul. 4-6+ months of restrictions, deaths and economic outfall that comes with that.

    Unknowningly by trying to push Out a few more days this season you could be jeopardizing all of next ski season for everyone by slowing down the fight and allowing the virus to still be amongst us. If we all isolate now the virus will have less opportunity to transmit to others. If we keep moving about it will increasingly keep eating at us and will be here for a longer term

    Now that would be a total kick in the balls to all skiers/ snowboarders and to all the folks that live in these places that we love and all the folk relying on the tourism industry.

    Be part of the solution!! Not part of the problem!!
    Last edited by teamdirt; 03-24-2020 at 08:54 PM.

  12. #587
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Corner of the Bow and Elbow
    Posts
    3
    Looks like Parks is officially shutting down for visitors, wonder how busy Kanaskis will be after this? The governments really need to get their messages straight, they can't go telling everyone to get outside and then shut down everything to do outdoors.

    https://www.rmotoday.com/banff/parks...-parks-2194635

  13. #588
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    20 steps from the hot tub
    Posts
    3,693
    While I deplore your spelling of Kananaskis, I heartily applaud your user name. OffStandish is awesomely creative!

  14. #589
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Golden, BC
    Posts
    716
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    I fail to see how getting outdoors is a problem, honestly.
    I don't see the recreating part being a problem. The getting hurt part and needing a rescue is. I think almost every helicopter pilot in Golden is in quarantine as most were in contact with Covid positive guests being flown out of lodges. Not sure what the situation East of here is regarding pilots.

    Here's to hoping everybody doesn't decide to keep driving West to Golden.

  15. #590
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Somewhere else
    Posts
    3,914
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenshowers View Post
    I don't see the recreating part being a problem. The getting hurt part and needing a rescue is. I think almost every helicopter pilot in Golden is in quarantine as most were in contact with Covid positive guests being flown out of lodges. Not sure what the situation East of here is regarding pilots.

    Here's to hoping everybody doesn't decide to keep driving West to Golden.
    I totally understand that.

    I'm risk averse to begin with and would definitely be dialing it back even further if I went out in these times. And I'd accept that the risk to me is higher.

    But it's a moot point now.

    I think I'm really just frustrated that I know I can honour the restrictions if I go for a quick ski in the mountains, and many other groups are regularly in situations that are significantly more risky and are far from "essential".

    I went for a ride in the city today and had to give all of 6 people the required space over the course of 3 hours. I know that's safer than taking transit to work, for example.

    I think even that ride is something I'm going to be told not to do, very soon.

    Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

  16. #591
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    19,364
    Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    But even under full lockdown scenario as in Italy, we could still go solo touring couldn't we?
    Just be aware you might run into this guy who gets really fucked up and tours at like 11pm
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  17. #592
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Somewhere else
    Posts
    3,914
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Just be aware you might run into this guy who gets really fucked up and tours at like 11pm
    That sounds like great fun, actually.

    I'm already a big fan of acid bike rides.

    Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

  18. #593
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Banff
    Posts
    20,634

  19. #594
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Banff, AB
    Posts
    404
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    I think I'm really just frustrated that I know I can honour the restrictions if I go for a quick ski in the mountains, and many other groups are regularly in situations that are significantly more risky and are far from "essential".
    I know what you mean but it's not just about the risks once you're out in the mountains - the other part of the equation was all the people driving to the mountains from all over the place and then potentially increasing the exposure to the communities and thus medical services here. Just because some people are taking the requisite precautions doesn't mean all are and limiting movement to non-essential travel seems key to slowing and hopefully preventing the spread.

    I've already read stories of skiing contributing to the spread (resort, heli and touring) so as bummed as I am about the current hiatus it feels like the right call to me.

  20. #595
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Somewhere else
    Posts
    3,914
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    I know what you mean but it's not just about the risks once you're out in the mountains - the other part of the equation was all the people driving to the mountains from all over the place and then potentially increasing the exposure to the communities and thus medical services here. Just because some people are taking the requisite precautions doesn't mean all are and limiting movement to non-essential travel seems key to slowing and hopefully preventing the spread.

    I've already read stories of skiing contributing to the spread (resort, heli and touring) so as bummed as I am about the current hiatus it feels like the right call to me.
    I hear you.

    I'm glad I bought a fat bike this year... I'll keep doing that locally until they tell me I can't do that anymore either.

    Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •