Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast
    All signs point to the Russians and Saudi's being engaged in a legit race the bottom / end game scenario. The pandemic is actually the least of the oil patch's worries. To Shorty J's point; I fear you may be right, things could get bad; Alberta bad, really bad, and invariably bad for all of Canada.

Having said that, how does a place like Calgary, so full of new comers and young educated people not survive this? Things will be fine. Calgary could get away with not building a highway, school, arena, skatepark, hosptial etc. for the next 30 years and you guys would still be eons ahead of the rest of the country. Maybe there's some truth to the notion that Alberta squandered their riches, but my eyes on the ground in and around Calgary tell me that massive and long lasting investments in public facilities have been made. Those things will serve you well. A place like Calgary has every human and material resource to reinvent itself as a center of innovation and ingenuity. A rocky mountain Silicon Valey, or something of that ilk. The folks expecting to make 75 grand on the strength of their high school diploma, those people could be in for a rough go.

Every Albertan school, hospital, courthouse, library etc. (all public buildings basically), are physically connected by a massive network of buried fibre optic cables. They actually dug trenches clear across the province and buried the stuff. It's called the Alberta Supernet. In B.C. on the other hand, I struggle to stream a 3 minute video to my students. I'd say one out of every 4 visits to my school's computer lab features an abrupt return to class because the internet is down or there's some other technological failure. My first day teaching in Alberta they handed me a computer. I thought it was a set up or something. Nobody gets a computer around these parts.

Calgary (and everywhere) could be in for a tough ride, but from my humble point of view anyway, it's hard to see how Calgary doesn't rise from the ashes as a more vibrant, thriving, and more interesting place than ever before.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    A place like Calgary has every human and material resource to reinvent itself as a center of innovation and ingenuity. A rocky mountain Silicon Valey, or something of that ilk. The folks expecting to make 75 grand on the strength of their high school diploma, those people could be in for a rough .
    The UCP is still betting on oil

I've heard many opinion pieces say that albertans need to pay sales tax

Whom would come to work for a mere 75G's ?

every time I talk to junior in cow town I tell him I can't believe he still has a job in the oil industry ... he can't either
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

So between Trudeau and Kenney, what is it, 10 billion from the public purse on yet to be built and probably won't ever be built pipeline projects? Imagine what that amount could do to spur innovation.

10 billion is now chump change

I think pivoting to a tech based economy in calgary would be great but that shit takes a long time to turn around... it won't just happen overnight.

And Kenny is fully invested in the oil industry and as vibrant as many are saying calgary is, the majority of people here are pretty entrenched in their views. Trudeau is a dirty word here no matter what he does that's good for alberta.

I had a career in oil and gas and lost my job in 2015. I never wanted back in to that industry but found it impossible to get work in any other area, even remedial work for 40% or less of what I used to make... people wouldn't hire me because of my oil career. That kind of thinking would need to get reversed as well in order to get a large segment of Calgary's economy back to work in a new field. And like I said above re: Trudeau, I find people pretty set in their thinking here.

And for new skilled work, who of these workers can afford to retrain themselves with no income and a mortgage to pay?

Thankfully I found a sugar momma and I'm now a stay at home dad or I would have been fucked and had to move back to Onterrible to live with my parents years ago.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    So between Trudeau and Kenney, what is it, 10 billion from the public purse on yet to be built and probably won't ever be built pipeline projects? Imagine what that amount could do to spur innovation.
    Yeah that's a little unfortunate but this is a great example of the thinking that Trudeau can't do anything right for Alberta's. He did more than anyone else in federal politics to get the pipeline built and he's still lambasted.

My hunch is the reason TransCanada didn't want to build it anymore wasn't uncertainty as much as a less rosy economic outlook for oil... and now taxpayers are buying TransCanada out of their risky business position.

Kenny is so out of touch they based the most recent budget of alberta on royalty revenues based on projected oil prices that nobody else in the world thought were reasonable. He's completely incapable of imagining a world where oil and gas don't dominate the alberta economy.

It will be interesting to see if the entrenched view that reliance on oil will provide capital to save us all can actually shift given the changed reality. I heard a quote over the weekend that the PC looks to the past for economic guidance while what we need is to work toward a vision of the future that is viable, i.e. sales tax for public revenue and to accept long term view regarding encouraging diversification and more steady state lower volume economic stablity of the oil industry. Much as AB oil is scorned, the transition to other energy won't happen overnight and pipelines make more sense than trains and trucks. The non-conventional oil in the US will not be cheap and abundant forever.

For the record gentlemen, I feel somewhat sheepish with the manner in which I was liberally expressing my views about your province last night. It's like I had been drinking or something. . I really like Alberta, have lived there twice, and sincerely wish you guys (and the rest of us) best of luck in the coming months

Quote Originally Posted by sillybunt2 View Post
    It will be interesting to see if the entrenched view that reliance on oil will provide capital to save us all can actually shift given the changed reality. I heard a quote over the weekend that the PC looks to the past for economic guidance while what we need is to work toward a vision of the future that is viable, i.e. sales tax for public revenue and to accept long term view regarding encouraging diversification and more steady state lower volume economic stablity of the oil industry. Much as AB oil is scorned, the transition to other energy won't happen overnight and pipelines make more sense than trains and trucks. The non-conventional oil in the US will not be cheap and abundant forever.
    All of that is reasonable. The problem is wages are sticky esp civil servants so its going to take time for public spending to come down. AB has the highest gov't spending per capita and that is not going to change overnight. Who knows maybe some head office jobs will move to Calgary for the cheap office and house RE? But doing the unpopular PST would be a thing.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

The make a bunch of money and piss it all away business model might be behind the scorn,

Alberta is where the " Please god let there be another oil boom I promise not to piss it all away this time" bumper sticker was invented

https://www.google.com/search?source...w=1366&bih=632
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

folks... I have a pair of G3 Alpinist skins from 2016 (blue glue) that have only been used for about 10 days. The glue has turned into the typical G3 globby mess and I don't have the tools nor the patience to re-glue them myself.

So... if someone wants them, they can have them for free - you just need to pay for the shipping originating from Jasper. looking for somewhat local to donate them to. Skins were cut for Volkl BMT 122 skis at a 176cm length. Lemme know if anyone wants em!

Quote Originally Posted by grrrmountainman View Post
    folks... I have a pair of G3 Alpinist skins from 2016 (blue glue) that have only been used for about 10 days. The glue has turned into the typical G3 globby mess and I don't have the tools nor the patience to re-glue them myself.

So... if someone wants them, they can have them for free - you just need to pay for the shipping originating from Jasper. looking for somewhat local to donate them to. Skins were cut for Volkl BMT 122 skis at a 176cm length. Lemme know if anyone wants em!
    1) will G3 warranty that?

2) if you gt down to banff, in the next 6 months, I have some beer waiting for you as trade

Quote Originally Posted by grrrmountainman View Post

If yo get to Smithers sometime in next bit, I'll have some beer waiting for you as well. I doin't need the skins or anything, I'll just have beer for you.

“No washrooms or garbage pickup will be available within provincial parks at this time.”

Expect the woods around every Alberta P.P. campground to be quickly littered with garbage and toilet paper and worse until this is changed.

I mean shouldn’t people be washing their hands anyway after using a campground outhouse? Don’t see the reasoning here, except that people are dumb and everything must be based on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    “No washrooms or garbage pickup will be available within provincial parks at this time.”

Expect the woods around every Alberta P.P. campground to be quickly littered with garbage and toilet paper and worse until this is changed.

I mean shouldn’t people be washing their hands anyway after using a campground outhouse? Don’t see the reasoning here, except that people are dumb and everything must be based on that.
    I have weekly conversations with the rec officer in my office. He looks after the forestry rec sites. We also have a desk for BC parks people, but they are seldom in the office even though their biggest park in the region is outside my back door.
    Before the virus, the busy rec sites I visit regularly, that had a dedicated maintenance operators, all had disinfectents dispensers in the outhouses. Garbage was always managed well due to bears. Transitioning to covid really doesn't have many issues outside of social distancing of the visiting recreationalists. But this is huge and a big part of the issues trying to reopen the parks and rec sites. I am for keeping the bc parks close just because of the tourist factor; the rec sites aren't so bad as most gatherings will be locals that weren't behaving well even now, and they are heading out to camp regardless - the rec officers and COS are better spent exercising their duties and authority elsewhere right now, like wildlife issues and the local flooding and upcoming wildfire season.

I hope for the best...I’m sure people will f” this up with just plain stupidity. Hopefully it’s not the case and we can move forward....

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    I hope for the best...I’m sure people will f” this up with just plain stupidity. Hopefully it’s not the case and we can move forward....

yup, not sure we are actually at the top of the curve yet, and ready for more waves, and some people will ALWAYS fuck things up. but its a start and we will learn (or be forced to )

I thought they closed access to the parks after they closed the facilities and had exactly the problems my bro pointed out. Can’t see anything different happening this time. And I am not exactly sure what is different now, than a month and a half ago. We don’t have a vaccine, we don’t have any treatment other than the same dealing with symptoms, and it’s not like 60% of people have had the virus and we now have herd ammunition. I predict a full closure again in two to three weeks, unless the attitude is now ‘fuck it, let em die’.

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    I thought they closed access to the parks after they closed the facilities and had exactly the problems my bro pointed out. Can’t see anything different happening this time. And I am not exactly sure what is different now, than a month and a half ago. We don’t have a vaccine, we don’t have any treatment other than the same dealing with symptoms, and it’s not like 60% of people have had the virus and we now have herd ammunition. I predict a full closure again in two to three weeks, unless the attitude is now ‘fuck it, let em die’.
    Alberta now has contact tracing- just put all you personal information and bank accounts/passwords into your phone and allow your phone to track you and share data to let you know if you have been in contact...Alberta is 1st in North America to develop and allow this app.....Whats safer- getting Covid or getting defrauded? I think I choose Covid...

Things are opening in my opinion because the hospitals such to the low model. There is bed space. We will likely see a second wave no matter what and in needs to get going. The last thing you want is the giant wave during the fall when you have everything else circulating. As far as cleaning up after themselves, the majority will always be a mess. On the bright side with less foreign travel things should be a little better. Might as well play hard right now while there is a hospital bed.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    yup, not sure we are actually at the top of the curve yet, and ready for more waves, and some people will ALWAYS fuck things up. but its a start and we will learn (or be forced to )
    There will be multiple peaks. That doesn't mean we're not at the first one now.

But yeah, I don't know either.

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    Alberta now has contact tracing- just put all you personal information and bank accounts/passwords into your phone and allow your phone to track you and share data to let you know if you have been in contact...Alberta is 1st in North America to develop and allow this app.....Whats safer- getting Covid or getting defrauded? I think I choose Covid...
    Holy shit dude... then don't get the app.

It's a little invasive but nearly as bad as what you've suggested.

I haven't got the app yet but if I do I'll let you know if they ask for my first born or not.

Edit to add: if you think the government wants that information and they'd wait until to download an app to do it, I don't know what to tell you.

If they're that overbearing they already have all that information already.

Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    Things are opening in my opinion because the hospitals such to the low model. There is bed space. We will likely see a second wave no matter what and in needs to get going. The last thing you want is the giant wave during the fall when you have everything else circulating. As far as cleaning up after themselves, the majority will always be a mess. On the bright side with less foreign travel things should be a little better. Might as well play hard right now while there is a hospital bed.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    I agree with this 100%

Edit: except playing hard... I'm too old for that. I'd just like to play a little.

Last edited by Shorty_J; 05-01-2020 at 10:33 PM.