Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    LL has ptarm chutes open, and WH2 A-I gullys.

that is one sexy bike!

Anyone want 4x RCR snow checks for $300? Driving from revelstoke to calgary this weekend.

Local had a close call Invermere area last weekend, remote triggered cornice failure. Southern aspect.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

and SSV has opened the WW now too.

really only upper ER5 left to open. amazing for early Feb

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    and SSV has opened the WW now too.

really only upper ER5 left to open. amazing for early Feb
    Agreed, amazing coverage and conditions for this time of year.

Got three laps in the Dive and two in the West today. The Dive was stellar - much deeper than the 8cms reported, faceshots galore. Some sections were a touch slabby with a few small pockets ripping out and heavy sluffing. You had to ski cut and then stay on your toes in some of the steeper, rockier sections.

The West was also skiing great - pow turns up high, decent coverage and soft snow through the cruxes and then only a minor crust noticeable underneath lower down. Neither were that busy so tomorrow should still be good.

First day touring in about 5 years today.

Went to Vermillion on 93S. Some nice soft snow but the rain crust was a little punchy in places... overall pretty good.

Incidentally, and this may be common knowledge to others but we didn't know... the route up vermillion as described in chic Scott's book doesn't really go anymore... too many christmas trees in the burn make the right side of the slide path impossible everywhere we looked.

Ended up looking up the left side for a bit but gave up and skied the slide path below the choke.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Incidentally, and this may be common knowledge to others but we didn't know... the route up vermillion as described in chic Scott's book doesn't really go anymore... too many christmas trees in the burn make the right side of the slide path impossible everywhere we looked.

Ended up looking up the left side for a bit but gave up and skied the slide path below the choke.

Yeah we found the same last year, had a brutal bushwhack through wallowing facets skintrack for a section.

touring in the rockies.

Thought rhe snowpack would be consilidating by now. The east dacing bowl can be a cery nice lap before ducking back onto the otherside. Ez crossover. The low part of the ridge is mellow on both sides and basically treeline

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

2019/2020 CANADIAN ROCKIES THREAD

pics from the last week or so

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020 01 30 Sunshine skier Dave Williams photo Dan Hudson (4) 2000.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	564.2 KB 
ID:	315160

Name:	IMG_2661.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	632.2 KB 
ID:	315161

Not too bad for an old guy

Dynafit Toe Pieces

Any splitboarders (or skier) on here looking for some Dynafit TLT Speed Toe pieces? Have 2 for sale with Spark R&D Dynafit Toe Adapter Plates for $200 OBO. excellent condition In Calgary, Bowness. PM me here.

Name:	IMG-7059.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	984.4 KB 
ID:	315276

Name:	IMG-7057 copy.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	315277

The wicked rain event we got a week ago left a thick crust to 2000m in kananaskis. 10cm on impenetrable crust with skis. Old tracks are bullet proof. Good dust on crust skiing though. And wow have the winds wreaked havoc in the last two weeks.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

SSV far exceeded expectations yesterday. A reported 6cm skied more like 10, and with constant snowfall and wind, 20-40cm pockets of light snow were to be had.
    I have no real idea what runs we skied, but they were good.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

how's the drive past banff to golden? i have my pals minivanning down that way tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by f2f View Post
    how's the drive past banff to golden? i have my pals minivanning down that way tonight.
    Not snowing in Golden. It should be smooth sailing.

Quote Originally Posted by f2f View Post
    BNF area is fine.

Is there any relatively safe meadow skipping touring terrain on hwy 93N that would be suitable for solo skiing?

Don't worry, I won't hold you responsible for my decisions... just wondering if it's possible.

Edit: I'm asking because I've skied up there but only a few places and it's been years so I can't remember some terrain details.

Last edited by Shorty_J; 02-12-2020 at 09:31 PM.

ty. they made it to golden. as usual their skis didn't arrive with their flight so they had to wait until 9pm to get them...

There are usually enough people skiing bow summit that you can find someone to hookup with.

Across the street from Bow summit are also some good mellow ramps and aprons that you can access. You should be able to stay away from OH hazard as long as you have visibility. Niles and apron around Bow peak may be also suitable.

Quote Originally Posted by sillybunt2 View Post
    Across the street from Bow summit are also some good mellow ramps and aprons that you can access. You should be able to stay away from OH hazard as long as you have visibility. Niles and apron around Bow peak may be also suitable.
    Is that observation sub peak? I think I've skied that and remember mellow runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Is that observation sub peak? I think I've skied that and remember mellow runs.

Yes, lots of suitable choices there.

Hey Collective, The wife and I are heading up through Castle Mountain and Marmot Basin to get a couple free days with our Powder Collective passes. Are there any easy highway approaches to good touring along the way. And, yes, I know there are. Crowsnest and the Parks have an abundance. But how about, what would you do if you had a few extra days along that North South corridor?

Quote Originally Posted by Kootenai View Post
    Hey Collective, The wife and I are heading up through Castle Mountain and Marmot Basin to get a couple free days with our Powder Collective passes. Are there any easy highway approaches to good touring along the way. And, yes, I know there are. Crowsnest and the Parks have an abundance. But how about, what would you do if you had a few extra days along that North South corridor?
    Kananaskis has a wicked rain crust up to 2000m. You're best bet depending on where you stay would be along the 93n from Louise to Jasper. Many skin tracks already set, if the visibility is good it will be easy to figure out where to start.