Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    banff was not too bad for weekend tourists, canmore was VERY busy
    https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/canmore-m...A7cvx4zhhX4ybw

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/mobile/pe...MDVOKxFtTWOpQU

Banff seasonal staff are running home fast
    https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/thousands...k&_gsc=MIjN6iO

Just heard on the news they are considering closing all national and provincial parks. They will police it by Towing and impounding any parked car. Guess we will see if they move forward with this....
    Last edited by teamdirt; 03-22-2020 at 07:41 PM.

Almost every trail head was overflowing. To grant to the Calgary airport to go back to Ontario today. Traffic headed west didn't look any lighter than a normal weekend. Friends were at Mount shark.... Over flowing, Nordic centre.. Full... Heart Creek people were parked on the hiway.

Guy standing on bridge down town with a giant sign telling people to go home.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    Almost every trail head was overflowing. To grant to the Calgary airport to go back to Ontario today. Traffic headed west didn't look any lighter than a normal weekend. Friends were at Mount shark.... Over flowing, Nordic centre.. Full... Heart Creek people were parked on the hiway.

I personally don't have an issue with busy parking lots and it's easy to space pit once you're on a trail.

All the parking lots for nose hill park are busier than I've ever seen them but there were no cluster of people and it's easy to give space when you cross paths.

Put the dog on leash when I did that too.

I could see them banning this soon anyway but I fail to see how that's even remotely as dangerous as negotiating the grocery store.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Just got home from Van island. Nobody on road, nobody recreating and most things closed along the transcanada...until you get to Revelstoke. Revelstok, golden, lake Louise, banff -Red plated entitled ass wipes, most with sleds ( Revy/golden)stressing small towns because they think co-vid panademic equals vacation time....

Drive from Banff to cgy was like long weekend traffic.

People just don’t get- that even just filling up the car at the gas station puts u at risk and puts everyone else at risk. This germ lives on surfaces for up to 10 days. In China the survivors are not even wearing there outdoor clothes inside once they get home. They leave them outside or wash them immediately....
    Last edited by teamdirt; 03-22-2020 at 07:33 PM.

some good info on visiting the moutains

https://placestovisitthisweekend.com/Calgary

I see the national parks are now closed to recreating. Well vehicle parking to recreate.

https://www.rmotoday.com/banff/parks...-parks-2194635

No more avalanche reports after March 30th. Also shutting down the Min reports

No more avalanche reports after March 30th. Also shutting down the Min reports
    I think this will really bring the point home. Last week the Avy report and AB health minister were giving people the wrong idea by telling them to get outdoors...

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    I think this will really bring the point home. Last week the Avy report and AB health minister were giving people the wrong idea by telling them to get outdoors...
    I fail to see how getting outdoors is a problem, honestly.

I walk my dog at nose hill park and there are more people and cars then normal there, but it's so easy to keep your distance, both in the park and even in the parking lot I've never come within even 3 meters of anyone else.

I get why they did it, to a certain extent... but I'd suggest to you that my trip to the grocery store is a lot riskier. And I'd say anyone going to work or taking transit is also a lot riskier.

I'd like to point out that in I'm mostly in agreement with a lot of what government is doing and in fact think they could do more in some areas... I just think that things like closing the parks and freaking out over how many people are at nose hill park is not in context, and a bit of an overreaction based on things like videos of what we're seeing on Vancouver beaches.

Yes some people are not getting the message but my experience when I'm going outside is that pretty much everyone is.

That's just my experience and my 0.02

Im hoping to see this over and life going back to normal in the next 4-6weeks if we can all follow the message, "Stay home."

But if we can't follow the "stay home" instructions that the "Who," China and all of Europe are warning us to do then be prepared for the long haul. 4-6+ months of restrictions, deaths and economic outfall that comes with that.

Unknowningly by trying to push Out a few more days this season you could be jeopardizing all of next ski season for everyone by slowing down the fight and allowing the virus to still be amongst us. If we all isolate now the virus will have less opportunity to transmit to others. If we keep moving about it will increasingly keep eating at us and will be here for a longer term

Now that would be a total kick in the balls to all skiers/ snowboarders and to all the folks that live in these places that we love and all the folk relying on the tourism industry.

Be part of the solution!! Not part of the problem!!
    Last edited by teamdirt; 03-24-2020 at 08:54 PM.

Looks like Parks is officially shutting down for visitors, wonder how busy Kanaskis will be after this? The governments really need to get their messages straight, they can't go telling everyone to get outside and then shut down everything to do outdoors.

While I deplore your spelling of Kananaskis, I heartily applaud your user name. OffStandish is awesomely creative!

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    I fail to see how getting outdoors is a problem, honestly.
    I don't see the recreating part being a problem. The getting hurt part and needing a rescue is. I think almost every helicopter pilot in Golden is in quarantine as most were in contact with Covid positive guests being flown out of lodges. Not sure what the situation East of here is regarding pilots.

Here's to hoping everybody doesn't decide to keep driving West to Golden.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenshowers View Post
    I don't see the recreating part being a problem. The getting hurt part and needing a rescue is. I think almost every helicopter pilot in Golden is in quarantine as most were in contact with Covid positive guests being flown out of lodges. Not sure what the situation East of here is regarding pilots.

Here's to hoping everybody doesn't decide to keep driving West to Golden.
    I totally understand that.

I'm risk averse to begin with and would definitely be dialing it back even further if I went out in these times. And I'd accept that the risk to me is higher.

But it's a moot point now.

I think I'm really just frustrated that I know I can honour the restrictions if I go for a quick ski in the mountains, and many other groups are regularly in situations that are significantly more risky and are far from "essential".

I went for a ride in the city today and had to give all of 6 people the required space over the course of 3 hours. I know that's safer than taking transit to work, for example.

I think even that ride is something I'm going to be told not to do, very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    But even under full lockdown scenario as in Italy, we could still go solo touring couldn't we?
    Just be aware you might run into this guy who gets really fucked up and tours at like 11pm
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Just be aware you might run into this guy who gets really fucked up and tours at like 11pm
    That sounds like great fun, actually.

I'm already a big fan of acid bike rides.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    I think I'm really just frustrated that I know I can honour the restrictions if I go for a quick ski in the mountains, and many other groups are regularly in situations that are significantly more risky and are far from "essential".
    I know what you mean but it's not just about the risks once you're out in the mountains - the other part of the equation was all the people driving to the mountains from all over the place and then potentially increasing the exposure to the communities and thus medical services here. Just because some people are taking the requisite precautions doesn't mean all are and limiting movement to non-essential travel seems key to slowing and hopefully preventing the spread.

I've already read stories of skiing contributing to the spread (resort, heli and touring) so as bummed as I am about the current hiatus it feels like the right call to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    I know what you mean but it's not just about the risks once you're out in the mountains - the other part of the equation was all the people driving to the mountains from all over the place and then potentially increasing the exposure to the communities and thus medical services here. Just because some people are taking the requisite precautions doesn't mean all are and limiting movement to non-essential travel seems key to slowing and hopefully preventing the spread.

I've already read stories of skiing contributing to the spread (resort, heli and touring) so as bummed as I am about the current hiatus it feels like the right call to me.
    I hear you.

I'm glad I bought a fat bike this year... I'll keep doing that locally until they tell me I can't do that anymore either.

Puking in Fernie today, so much for an early spring

The townsfolk in Fernie, Canmore, Crowsnest Pass, etc. will likely get their wish this weekend with people staying home. 10-20cms in the forecast so all biking and hiking prospects have been wiped out and the touring will likely have calmed down too. There was a very visible and decent sized slide in Fish Bowl a few days ago which has certainly reinforced the dangers of touring, particularly now when rescue may not be certain.

https://banff.ca/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=1182

banff is closed for the weekend

2019/2020 CANADIAN ROCKIES THREAD

I’m really glad we skied so much in November and December now. We kept saying “it’s a long season”, and then it wasn’t.
    Thanks to Mntlion and Spooky for letting me tag along on their adventures.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    I’m really glad we skied so much in November and December now. We kept saying “it’s a long season”, and then it wasn’t.
    Thanks to Mntlion and Spooky for letting me tag along on their adventures.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    welcome, it was a fun winter, if kinda bizarre. Looking forward to next winter being a bit more normal/longer

and now we have 5cm fresh over night in banff too.