Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    that's a real nice day breakdown from mtnlion. the drive isn't far for what we're used to, but if your schedule is tight, you may want to just focus on either Revy/KH or Banff/KH to maximize the skiable days. nice thing about mid january is our crowds are low, mid week can have you feeling like you have the mountains to yourself.

generally the highway is in good condition. if a storm approaches and you aren't familiar with the travel, best to pick either Revy or KH and stick with it.

ps - powder springs inn in revelstoke is the cheapest game in town (right across the street from the cube). not fancy and it's old, but usually clean enough and does the job.

Id recommend journeys perch guesthouse. Sort of a hostel , community cooking etc but they also have private rooms. A remodelled old church. Really nicely done and super clean. Great price. Not super close to downtown but a 3 minute drive. Halfway between the hill and downtown

https://www.google.com/travel/hotels...AxOS0xMi0yOFIA

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by grrrmountainman View Post
    ps - powder springs inn in revelstoke is the cheapest game in town (right across the street from the cube). not fancy and it's old, but usually clean enough and does the job.
    Powder Springs is under new ownership as the Grizz Hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada29er View Post
    I have 7 days to play in Mid Jan. Ikon pass so Revy is the main target. How many days should I plan for KH or others? Cube is pretty booked, next best place to stay on a budget?

How is the drive from Revy to KH? Have a RAV4, apparently rentals in BC don't come with winter tires, (at least they can't guarantee it) cause it doesn't snow there, WTF?
    Your coming from Calgary, so if you can drive right to Revie. ( or if you can ski on your fly in day ski LL then drive to Golden and stay one night) On way back stop in Golden that way you have Rogers pass behind you. ( I'm assuming flying out of YYC ?) 25% off vouchers are available for KH but of course your going to max the Ikon pass rather than paying for more than one at KH.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    The Curry Bowl on the highway,
    Excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    http://www.ferniestanfordresort.com/...ill-restaurant

yes, in the hotel with the waterslide. its good.
    Excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    I'm no local but Fernie Pizza Shoppe delivered up a worthy pie in a couple of occasions.
    Also excellent. Thanks for the tips.

Had a good time at Fernie. That few inches of fresh Thursday night was key, woulda probably sucked otherwise. Friday we rode every lift and sampled each bowl. Today we just lapped White Pass chair because that's where we found the best snow. Pretty fun sliding up there actually. Wish the peak had been open but them's the breaks. Looking forward to a return visit. Cool mountain and town.

Will be skiing the lake tomorrow morning. Blue/white mountain hojis with black fks, black pants, yellow jacket and white helmet. I will try to remember change for a nickel if anyone wants to bang off a lap or two.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

I have 7 days to play in Mid Jan. Ikon pass so Revy is the main target. How many days should I plan for KH or others? Cube is pretty booked, next best place to stay on a budget?

How is the drive from Revy to KH? Have a RAV4, apparently rentals in BC don't come with winter tires, (at least they can't guarantee it) cause it doesn't snow there, WTF?
    Devil's advocate on the Horse since you have an Ikon pass - I'd consider skipping it unless you can get cheap passes and/or link up locals to show you around. It's not the easiest place to explore on your own since the laps are so long. I'd rather spend extra day(s) at Revy to explore more thoroughly (a few more hikes to Greeley Bowl, Subpeak, etc.). Also simpler accoms and driving...

If rental car is BC, maybe you're in/out of Kelowna? 1 hour time change happens between Revy and KH (even though they're both in BC)

If you want a more chill travel day and have days to burn on your Ikon, you could also consider a few laps at Norquay. NA chair is a fun throwback, and some decent groomers on the other side. Night skiing Fri/Sat (just one tiny chair that serves the park). Definitely not worth a full day though.

Avoid KH and SSV more than the others on weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by Singel View Post
    Devil's advocate on the Horse since you have an Ikon pass - I'd consider skipping it unless you can get cheap passes and/or link up locals to show you around. It's not the easiest place to explore on your own since the laps are so long. I'd rather spend extra day(s) at Revy to explore more thoroughly (a few more hikes to Greeley Bowl, Subpeak, etc.). Also simpler accoms and driving...

If rental car is BC, maybe you're in/out of Kelowna? 1 hour time change happens between Revy and KH (even though they're both in BC)

If you want a more chill travel day and have days to burn on your Ikon, you could also consider a few laps at Norquay. NA chair is a fun throwback, and some decent groomers on the other side. Night skiing Fri/Sat (just one tiny chair that serves the park). Definitely not worth a full day though.

Avoid KH and SSV more than the others on weekends.
    Disagree. You should ski both KH and Revy if around. Both world class places. SSV also good if Dive rolling. If you do any slackcountry touring all the better, but even if not you'll have way more fun than Norquay

2019/2020 CANADIAN ROCKIES THREAD

fernie is not skiing well.

1/2 up timber chair
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2548.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	308350

looking down to lodge thru the prunning/grooming

Name:	IMG_2568.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	848.4 KB 
ID:	308351

Unfortunately (for lots of reasons) I imagine that having a base at 1050 meters / 3500 feet isn't going to work so well in years to come.

Unfortunately (for lots of reasons) I imagine that having a base at 1050 meters / 3500 feet isn't going to work so well in years to come.
    hey, greta, stop being such a downer. the pipeline will bring tons of snow to fernie ocean resort!

That's the Fernie Factor (TM).
    Very similar to the Revelstoke Mountain Resort Factor (TM).

...and several others in the interior.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

I imagine they come equipped with at least “m + s” tires as from the alberta border to at least salmon arm winters/m+s are required by law. I would not want to drive through Rogers Pass in a storm without winters on, m+s would be sketchy. With that said, if it hasn’t snowed in a couple of days the roads are usually in pretty good shape in the area.

1/2 up timber chair

Name:	IMG_2548.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	308350

looking down to lodge thru the prunning/grooming

Name:	IMG_2568.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	848.4 KB 
ID:	308351
    Will be up there in 2 weeks. Praying for snow

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Will be up there in 2 weeks. Praying for snow
    Snow is coming tomorrow.

Looks similar to the coast!

are you just skiing KH/Reve? I would add a few days in banff (SSV/LL) but be flexiable. Reve is HIGH risk stocks. will be some of the most amazing turns of your life, or horrible rain/crust. KH less so. Banff is low risk stock. Not often huge snow, but also almost never rain/unskiable

3 days in BNF?

2 Days KH

2 Days Reve?

BNF to reve is 4 hours in winter, assuming average conditions. Rave4 will be fine. If the roads need more then that, they will be closed (revel-stuck) And skiing on either side of the pass is good
    Flying into and out of Kelowna, so if I work my way over to Banff, I need to work back west again. Best to hold on hotels until the weather window is clearer?

Flying into and out of Kelowna, so if I work my way over to Banff, I need to work back west again. Best to hold on hotels until the weather window is clearer?
    yup

also fernie got 28cm overnight

9cms at Pano this morning.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Moist

Peoplie

Handing out rain condoms before you enter

Yes, make jokes comparing this to other things, please!

bear headwall at 11am (timber still not open)

Name:	IMG_2572.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	807.4 KB 
ID:	308656

parking lot at 8:30am, it got warmer as the day went on

Name:	IMG_2571.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	308657

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Fernie: it’s good base building snow, I promise.

Avalanche control was getting some very big results. Snowpack is very spicy with very wet very heavy snow on the crust. Snow was not nearly blower even on Whitepass.

And the powder gypsies were also out today. Lots and lots of them.

I'll be coming into Fernie on sunday evening and skiing for the day on monday... saw some good recs a few pages back, but any other places to recommend for a solo dinner? And which dispensary is the favorite? Do they have edibles yet?
    Thanks
    go Go GO!

23-24: 63. 22-23: 56. 21-22: ?. 20-21: 10+?. 19-20: 79. 18-19: 86! 17-18: 80. 16-17: 56. 15-16: 40. 14-15: 33. 13-14: 56ish. 12-13: 51. 11-12: 65. 10-11: 69. 09-10: 65.

Fernie hotel is a good local pub-good food. Big Bang bagels for bfest or lunch. kodiak lounge for cheap/local pints and mingling with foreigners.

Sounds like u should bring some snow with u for the lower mtn.

It is suspicious that the base area web cam is no longer online....

We went to the Fernie Brewing Company 3 nights in a row like good tourists. Campout pale ale was beer of choice. Nice chill spot.

Bought a half gram joint just down the street from the Best Western, how nice is that? Legal weed is awesome. Can't remember the name of the place though.