Thread: M985 brake leak

M985 brake leak

Just noticed this last night on my wife's bike. Is there a fix or do I need a new lever? Oil appears to be leaking from the black end cap shown in the picture - not the removable bleed port on the top.

Seth

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190815_193017.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	291349

1) does it still work? might be a one time leak?

2) warranty avail?

3) buy a new XT/SLX lever only

Still works, but losing pressure. Not sure on warranty, but I would guess not as the bike is used. Leak seems to be growing. Might have been brought on by installing new pads last night and pushing calipers inward to make room for the new pads.

Seth

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Might have been brought on by installing new pads last night and pushing calipers inward to make room for the new pads.

Seth

odds are yes.

odds are needs replacing, buy a new lever only.

I had oil leak out of that same spot once when resetting my pistons on my XT M8000s. The system was likely overfilled and resetting the pistons caused some fluid to blow off. I did a lever bleed after(stick the funnel in the lever and pump the lever a few times so it drinks some fluid) and it has been fine since and hasn't leaked again.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    I had oil leak out of that same spot once when resetting my pistons on my XT M8000s. The system was likely overfilled and resetting the pistons caused some fluid to blow off. I did a lever bleed after(stick the funnel in the lever and pump the lever a few times so it drinks some fluid) and it has been fine since and hasn't leaked again.
    Yep this used to happen with my zees. Took me a while to figure out what was going on. I tend to connect bleed equipment to the lever end whenever changing pads now to avoid busting a seal ever so slightly or catastrophically.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Yep this used to happen with my zees. Took me a while to figure out what was going on. I tend to connect bleed equipment to the lever end whenever changing pads now to avoid busting a seal ever so slightly or catastrophically.
    Right on! You learn something new every day! I'll try the bleed method you describe to allow it to drink some fluid and keep an eye on it. Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    I had this happen just recently. Everything's fine.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    I had this happen just recently. Everything's fine.
    Same here. Wipe it clean and keep an eye on it for now.