Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Norway

Rode Tarløysa in the afternoon. Kind of meh. Views good. Trail mediocre

This is the Rødven peninsular area about 20kms away from Åndalsnes proper. This ride is an out - and - back characterized by potentially superb views.

We managed to time it between incoming rain and wind squalls and got some pictures but the trail wasn't in the same quality of shape as perhaps other lesser-known trails (definitely not barnålsstig). Still if the trailbed was perhaps below average the views were pretty good

Rode to Sjurvarden Og Melen. Basically got blown off the top as a front was clearing and at plateau the gusts topped 65kmh with sustained of 25 - 30kts (can't do that kmh conversion but it would have been a 3.5 sail for sure)

Turned tail after nearly getting blown off the ridge trying to ride down. Salvaged day by over-eating cod-fish soup at Bryggery i Bud then getting a lot of Atlantic Highway selfie and poser action

With the aid of Geir ( who made the 3 hour drive from Trondheim) we got the perfect weather window to climb then descend Formokampen conveniently located on our drive from Møre og Romsdal to Oslo just south of Dombås. The winds were picking up as we summited and the weather fronts percolating as we hit valley bottom after the 1100m descent.

200 year old trails built by farmers for their livestock to range provided a fine fine downhill. It's rare in Norway to have both excellence in views combined with excellence in the descending trails. This ride had it all.

Yeah Lee!

My wife and I flew our bikes over five years ago and spent about 10 days going from Trondheim to Oslo, with a quick run to Åre. Our beta was thin, our skills were mediocre, and we felt heavily sandbagged by all the locals we talked to. But... very fun, very beautiful, and very memorable days around Sogndal and Fjørå -

I'd love to get back with better beta or some locals to show us more stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Yeah Lee!

I'd love to get back with better beta or some locals to show us more stuff.
    yah - local help is pretty much necessary for norway road trips. We got some and were lucky to do so

Some biking in the Valdres area from two weeks ago just after it rained.

Trails ridden

- Sletterfjell
    - Hugakøllen
    - Kvithøvd
    - Stryteberg
    - Beistotølen

and a lot of barnålsflyt

Ended trip with three days of riding in Oslo

Riding with Per, Helge and Njål is about as local as it gets in these regions of Oslo. And when you're riding the pine-needled loamy, constantly technical, in-your-face labyrinthian spiderweb of Oslo singletrack trails you most definitely want to follow locals.

In all our travels there are only 3 areas in the world where there is a large network of trails close to a big area of people; ie close enough you can bike or take metro to trails. One is Vancouver. The other is Phoenix. And now we know the other is Oslo

Fjords

Awesome stuff. I wanna be Lee when I grow up...

Formokampen.. With the aid of Geir ( who made the 3 hour drive from Trondheim) we got the perfect weather window to climb then descend Formokampen conveniently located on our drive from Møre og Romsdal to Oslo just south of Dombås. The winds were picking up as we summited and the weather fronts percolating as we hit valley bottom after the 1100m descent.

200 year old trails built by farmers for their livestock to range provided a fine fine downhill. It's rare in Norway to have both excellence in views combined with excellence in the descending trails. This ride had it all.

nasjonalparkriket.no/en/formokampen

And final video. Some Oslo