Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Norway

Norway

Rode "barnålsflyt" Just W of Beitostølen first on true alpine singletrack starting at 1370m then descending to the Vang valley ending at 670m on public trails of pine-needled loam acceptable quality.

A pleasant ramble down natural trails. We somehow survived and had a great time despite not a berm, skinny or teeter-totter in sight

Yes!

I hope you got your $44usd worth out of that buffet.

Eat some vaffels while you’re here Lee.
    It’s the only thing we have to offer, don’t expect a skinny.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    I hope you got your $44usd worth out of that buffet.
    Urp

Nice! I was wondering what it would be like to ride in Norway. The fjord areas northwest of there that I saw seemed nearly too steep to ride in many places. Not to mention crazy rugged, steep, gnarled old trails without a switchback in sight!

A beautiful blue sky day with only patchy clouds gave us a chance to do two rides. The first was a push up to Hugakøllen then a ride down granite slabs then publicly maintained and marked pine-needled singletrack of acceptable quality.

The second part of the day was a pleasant ramble partially lift-aided up the Beistølen lifts then ridge-wandering up and over slabs and down singletrack above tree-line. Again quality was acceptable although once again we wondered at the lack of wall rides and gratuitous skinnies

Norway

That looks ugly and boring.

Kvithøvd to start a cloudy foggy day with Norwegian loam. Kasper said "Norwegians dream of finding trails like this". I responded "Mountainbikers dream of finding trails like this" as I stood filming while ankle deep in mossy forest undergrowth watching as Sharon and Kasper roosted triple overhead blower brown pow.

Skies broke and the sun made an appearance as forecasted. Showing the diversity of the terrain within a short distance of Bike Beitostølen's home turf within 25 minutes drive we were at the borders of the Jotunheimen National Park to take a spin on the alpine ridgelines of Skindrofjellet. More views ensued.

Back to the civilized environs of Beitostølen and the accommodations of the Radisson Blu in short order

Looks beautiful. However, my approach to leisure travel is evolving to consider my personal carbon budget.

https://shameplane.com/?fromCity=Van...e&typeofseat=3

Quote Originally Posted by Redsmurfer View Post
    Looks beautiful. However, my approach to leisure travel is evolving to consider my personal carbon budget.

https://shameplane.com/?fromCity=Van...e&typeofseat=3
    I vote for human extinction as the cure.

Geiranger

Stay away from the lutefisk. You’re welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Poor Norwegian glaciers are having a hard time just like Canadian glaciers. Terrain is so similar to.Northern BC and YK we keep double - taking

Nice! Are you coming up to northern Norway? Lot's of good riding up here!

Quote Originally Posted by Ville View Post
    Nice! Are you coming up to northern Norway? Lot's of good riding up here!
    This. Shame you're so far south.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrgha View Post
    This. Shame you're so far south.
    Ville also. Another time. Tourism people trying to get us to Sogn Og and Stryn too but 16 days is not much time. Prefer to spend more time learning a place rather than just driving. Also have been told about Alta, Lyngen Alps, of course Lofoten. Then also other regions like Alvdal.

Your country is pretty big. Not so easy to get around

Norway - Åndalsnes and Isfjorden area.

Skorgedalen and Staraksla trails. Conditions perfect

If you see Apetor drink sum vodka.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Ville also. Another time. Tourism people trying to get us to Sogn Og and Stryn too but 16 days is not much time. Prefer to spend more time learning a place rather than just driving. Also have been told about Alta, Lyngen Alps, of course Lofoten. Then also other regions like Alvdal.

Your country is pretty big. Not so easy to get around
    Lyngen alps, Skibotn valley up to Kilpisjärvi (Finland) and Kåfjord. Put this area on your map, very compact area and so much to ride around here! In May there's good possibility to go skitouring in morning and ride singletrails at Skibotn in afternoon.

Yeah, going from point A to point B in Norway by car generally sucks big time

Quote Originally Posted by Ville View Post
    Lyngen alps, Skibotn valley up to Kilpisjärvi (Finland) and Kåfjord. Put this area on your map, very compact area and so much to ride around here! In May there's good possibility to go skitouring in morning and ride singletrails at Skibotn in afternoon.

Yeah, going from point A to point B in Norway by car generally sucks big time
    The Sami culture is super interesting. Never realized there was official policy to assimilate and repress them until the 80s. Seems so backwards

The Sami culture is super interesting. Never realized there was official policy to assimilate and repress them until the 80s. Seems so backwards
    Unlike anything in North America!

Great shots, bunch of stuff to check out.

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    Unlike anything in North America!

Great shots, bunch of stuff to check out.
    For some reason I thought NO would be different. Guess humans are humans

Klovstien trail off the Trollstiggen - Åndalsnes. Quick out and back then battling cruise ships for souvenirs in Åndalsnes

Åndalsnes is 2400 people town. The smaller cruise ship docking is 2700 people.

Before and after

It's interesting culture for sure and mostly super nice people. One thing I have learnt living up here, is not to talk about sami politics or ask how many reindeers they have in their heards. Easy to get in trouble in some way...