Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Summit County CO Subcontractors

Interested to hear whether any mags are residential subcontractors in Summit County or have any recommendations for them. We're building a house, and the GC has his own contacts but has also made the somewhat common complaints about mountain labor being often expensive and flaky. Let me know if there is anyone we ought to be considering.

Paging the fred who is fast

So your GC has already told you fuck the budget and schedule.
    Now you're going to help him/her find subcontractors.

I'd stay out of it. It's the GC's problem. When you insert yourself into trying to solve soebody elses problems there is a tendancy to end up owning those problems.

No good deed goes unpunished.

It all runs on MST, mountain stoner time, just a little bit slower or a lot sometimes. Around here, it's the menonites if you want to get something built in a summer season.

To add, let me know if you want Merv and Lurv's number.

Just plan on tripling the timeline to build anything. And good luck with inspectors. Other than that just be cool to the folks that work for you and understand that this ain’t the big city. Shit happens differently up here but we still get shit done.

This is all starting to sound so very Italian... or maybe Spanish...

Go to the sheriff, he’s a kiwi
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Yeah...no. Homo's that bring in there own subs definitely regret it. "Your guy sucks and its your guys problem and you have to deal with it" and the GC is going to charge a percentage for nothing.

We subs have a choice about who to work for. Good GCs treat their subs well and pay well. We show up and kick ass on those jobs. Shitty GCs treat people like shit and are greedy. They get shitty subs.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Yeah...no. Homo's that bring in there own subs definitely regret it. "Your guy sucks and its your guys problem and you have to deal with it" and the GC is going to charge a percentage for nothing.
    Yup.

To be clear, I never had any intention of telling GC "hey I found our tile guy." Only "hey I heard good things about this tile guy," while leaving any final calls up to the GC.

I have a lot of friends who are subs but don't know if I'd recommend any of them. I know them all too well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    To be clear, I never had any intention of telling GC "hey I found our tile guy." Only "hey I heard good things about this tile guy," while leaving any final calls up to the GC.
    Fair enough. That said, if you GC struggling for subs in pre-construction, that would be a red flag for me. Ask yourself (or him) why he doesn't have the good tradesmen on lock? Are you willing to pay the premium that the good guys may charge? Are you organized and decisive enough to be a good customer?

Being a custom home builder is a relationship based business. It's hard, but that's the job. I give very competitive prices to my preferred generals because they make my life easy and keep the stress down. Jobs are well scheduled, only one trade at a time on the job, materials are correct, decisions are made in a timely fashion, the trades before me have done a good job, I know all the other subs, no jam bands or classic rock on the stereo, etc.

I'm ask your guy point blank why he is having trouble with subs? If the after is strictly scheduling and people are just too busy, I'll buy that...kinda. Most of the new builds I work on, all the same subs have been working for the same general for 10 years. That's the kind of general you want.

The criticism remains. No good deed goes unpunished. Let the GC manage his job.

Fair enough. That said, if you GC struggling for subs in pre-construction, that would be a red flag for me. Ask yourself (or him) why he doesn't have the good tradesmen on lock? Are you willing to pay the premium that the good guys may charge? Are you organized and decisive enough to be a good customer?

Being a custom home builder is a relationship based business. It's hard, but that's the job. I give very competitive prices to my preferred generals because they make my life easy and keep the stress down. Jobs are well scheduled, only one trade at a time on the job, materials are correct, decisions are made in a timely fashion, the trades before me have done a good job, I know all the other subs, no jam bands or classic rock on the stereo, etc.

I'm ask your guy point blank why he is having trouble with subs? If the after is strictly scheduling and people are just too busy, I'll buy that...kinda. Most of the new builds I work on, all the same subs have been working for the same general for 10 years. That's the kind of general you want.
    Only thing I can add to that is...

This is not exclusive to Summit County, or even mountain towns. It works this way everywhere. Same in the commercial and industrial fields. Red flags everywhere with this one. Dude is already making excuses. Have they moved any dirt yet?

You won't get a single framer to show up without the classic rock box.

Everyone is going gangbusters right now in mountain communities, and at face value I think that is the issue. I think you are reading a bit too much into this situation without enough background info.

The GC could be perfectly on his shit and still be having trouble finding a sub that can work within a given timeframe. In my hood, roofers are the challenge currently. I've got great ones but they are all booked out through 2020. I can get em in cause they like me and I pay well but they are still doing me a favor and I need to be flexible.

Or his GC could suck, but that is a bit of an assumption currently. But don't let the rock box sway a decision.
    Live Free or Die

Yeah, I mean, I appreciate the concern from some of you, but maybe you're reading a little too much into me asking a question because my GC mentioned that mountain labor is expensive when mountain labor is expensive. The "flaky" wasn't him, that was my gloss. More generally, I didn't realize it was so taboo to say "hey, I've heard good things about this sub."

But don't let the rock box sway a decision.
    I'm mostly a trim carpenter. I do a few garage and addition frames here and there but won't frame customs. You need to look for some younger framers. Your guys probably weather leather bags and swing a Douglas or Hart. And yeah...I absolutely make decisions about the politics of the rock box.

It has been said before but trim carpenters are kinda crusty assholes. We work in the doorways and the stair wells. Our stock is 16' long, we need to cut both ends and we work inside. Pretty much wherever you are, you are in my way. I get to the job about 7, turn the metal up to 11 and get after it. If you are playing Steve Miller outside, I don't even here it.

Yeah, I mean, I appreciate the concern from some of you, but maybe you're reading a little too much into me asking a question because my GC mentioned that mountain labor is expensive when mountain labor is expensive. The "flaky" wasn't him, that was my gloss. More generally, I didn't realize it was so taboo to say "hey, I've heard good things about this sub."
    It seems like you want the answer you want to hear

I didn't realize it was so taboo to say "hey, I've heard good things about this sub
    It is more like, if you are even considering going this route, own it. If you have an honest conversation with your GC and he says, "I don't currently have a tile contractor I'm happy with". Ask him why. If you want to help, make it a true referral. Call the contractor on the phone, ask him if he is interested, look at his work, facilitate a meeting with the GC etc. Understand that you are doing the GCs work for free. Also understand the good customers are very aware everyone is busy and are willing to let their house sit so the GC can get there prefered subs onto the job.

It is more like, if you are even considering going this route, own it. If you have an honest conversation with your GC and he says, "I don't currently have a tile contractor I'm happy with". Ask him why. If you want to help, make it a true referral. Call the contractor on the phone, ask him if he is interested, look at his work, facilitate a meeting with the GC etc. Understand that you are doing the GCs work for free. Also understand the good customers are very aware everyone is busy and are willing to let their house sit so the GC can get there prefered subs onto the job.
    Makes sense.

Sat around in my underwear at home till noon today. Drove around threw out some atta boys and high fives. Met my 24 year old lady friend for lunch. Drove around some more. Stopped at the office checked tgr. Grabbed a nug out of the shop stash. Trying to figure out where to mtb at four today. Who knew making money was so easy?

Sent from my SM-J737V using TGR Forums mobile app

But did you masterbate this morning?

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    But did you masterbate this morning?
    Haven't jerked off in at least two weeks

Two words:
    Ballet & Nobu

Take a girl on a date like that and you might as well own a magic wand. Chicks love that shit.

And I charge my customers accordingly to support my accustomed life style. So yes, you cant afford me

Sent from my SM-J737V using TGR Forums mobile app

Glad it is working out Fred. I guess the bigger question is why would you want to deal with the headache of building a house at these prices? Oh yeah, 'cause prices always go up and you are feeling good about your fat stacks.

A customer just said they were hoping there deck would cost $30K, I just told them that my back of the envelope estimate was $60K. It will probably be more. Probably a good way to estimate jobs and pre-screen customers. Ask them what they think it should cost and double it. Decide whether to move forward based on there reaction.