Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 51 to 64 of 64
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ventura Highway in the Sunshine
    Posts
    21,398
    Yes they do, closed and open ended leases. Both are generally bad ideas in most circumstances. There are exceptions, but a Grand Cherokee is probably not one of them.

    I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    crown of the continent
    Posts
    13,970
    [threadrift] I'm thinking of skipping the next model Tacoma and just putting $10-15k in to my 2006, which has needed next to nothing over 185,000 miles. I'm on the original battery ffs. So I'm thinking to replace all the 'accessories' like a/c compressor, alternator, water pump, timing chain, radiator, calipers, work over the frame, check valve lash/compression, etc etc...And saying fuck off to buying or leasing new.[/threadrift]
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

    Patterson Hood of the DBT's

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    TennesseeJed
    Posts
    9,534
    Im not so sure I follow the logic there... You are going to put 10-15k in a 14 year old truck with 185k miles?

    Id keep the truck and get a Solara for tooling around in.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

    Brain dead and made of money.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SE USA
    Posts
    1,944
    Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    $10-15k in to my 2006,
    Even I wouldn't do that. Bobby's right (shudder) that 10-15k would buy a sweet solara.
    "Can't you see..."

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    5,619
    Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    [threadrift] I'm thinking of skipping the next model Tacoma and just putting $10-15k in to my 2006, which has needed next to nothing over 185,000 miles. I'm on the original battery ffs. So I'm thinking to replace all the 'accessories' like a/c compressor, alternator, water pump, timing chain, radiator, calipers, work over the frame, check valve lash/compression, etc etc...And saying fuck off to buying or leasing new.[/threadrift]
    How on earth could your truck need THAT much money put into it? And why would you bother on a nearly 14 year old vehicle? And if it needs THAT much crap done to it (even at 185K), is it even that good to begin with?

    Am I missing something here?

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Der Town
    Posts
    6,544
    It’d be an entirely new drivetrain or maybe even a drivetrain swap. And modern Tacoma’s suck, have you driven one?

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,451
    Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    [threadrift] I'm thinking of skipping the next model Tacoma and just putting $10-15k in to my 2006, which has needed next to nothing over 185,000 miles. I'm on the original battery ffs. So I'm thinking to replace all the 'accessories' like a/c compressor, alternator, water pump, timing chain, radiator, calipers, work over the frame, check valve lash/compression, etc etc...And saying fuck off to buying or leasing new.[/threadrift]
    Or you could just buy another entire 2006 Tacoma for that money. If you are going to sink 15k into a tacoma it better be something silly like SAS, supercharged race truck.

    The only lease I have seen ever work out was my Dad was looking for the cheapest 4dr AWD vehicle he could find as a second vehicle that they keep in the mountains. He settled on a barest of bare bones Suzuki SX4 which was advertised in the newspaper for $99/month. He held them to it and walked out with that deal. Fast forward 36 months later and he goes to turn it in. In 3 years he has only put 10k miles on it. But in the meantime Suzuki has gone out of business. Took him a while to even figure out where to take it. When he gets to the dealership, they don't even want to deal with a manual window Suzuki so they offer to sell it to him for $4k. He offers 3K. Done. So basically he got a new car for $6500 and change. Drove it for another 5+ years and sold it for $5k.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    5,619
    Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    It’d be an entirely new drivetrain or maybe even a drivetrain swap. And modern Tacoma’s suck, have you driven one?
    Sheesh. Needs a new engine/trans already?! I thought at your mileage, most Toyota trucks are just barely getting broken in at that point. Haha.

    Yeah, you'd be crazy for dumping that much money into your old one. Like mcsquared said, if you like that particular generation so much, just buy a nice low mileage example for that much or less.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ventura Highway in the Sunshine
    Posts
    21,398
    Yeah, but in the end he still had a Suzuki. Might as well got a Solara.

    I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,451
    Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Yeah, but in the end he still had a Suzuki. Might as well got a Solara.
    Well, he got use of a vehicle for 8 trouble free years for ~$1500 bucks. But yea. You are right. His taste is suspect. He sold it to buy one of those Subaru "trucks" because he needed something to haul trash to the recycling center. But the guy retired at exactly 57.5 and hasn't worked in over 20y and still makes double what I my wife and I make combined. So..... I can't question him too much.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The 8th best place in the LBP
    Posts
    2,672
    Quote Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
    The only lease I have seen ever work out was my Dad was looking for the cheapest 4dr AWD vehicle he could find as a second vehicle that they keep in the mountains. He settled on a barest of bare bones Suzuki SX4 which was advertised in the newspaper for $99/month. He held them to it and walked out with that deal. Fast forward 36 months later and he goes to turn it in. In 3 years he has only put 10k miles on it. But in the meantime Suzuki has gone out of business. Took him a while to even figure out where to take it. When he gets to the dealership, they don't even want to deal with a manual window Suzuki so they offer to sell it to him for $4k. He offers 3K. Done. So basically he got a new car for $6500 and change. Drove it for another 5+ years and sold it for $5k.
    That is freakin awesome.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,559
    Those sx4s are awesome. 4 door, manual, awd, hatch. I'd rally the hell out of one.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,451
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    Those sx4s are awesome. 4 door, manual, awd, hatch. I'd rally the hell out of one.
    A 6 speed manual at that. The downhill gear.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using TGR Forums mobile app

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    righthere/rightnow
    Posts
    2,347
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    What about leasing with a buyout at the end? Is tht even a thing? I don't know shit about leasing but I'm kinda slowly turning around the idea of buying a Grand Cherokee. It seems like they are either great or terrible. If it was terrible it would be nice to have it be their responsibility, and if it was great it would be nice to keep it. Does this make any sense at all?

    Yeah, buy a Toyota, I know.
    Depends on the manufacturer and model, if they sell in big numbers to fleets like rentals and middle management sleds, expect a huge depreciation, like 70% or more after two years.

    Stay away from Kia, Hyundai, Nissan, and Toyota sedans.

    Honda, Audi, and Toyota trucks and SUV’s deprecated less but your still looking at a 35 to 45% loss compared to buying used CPO.
    Lease’s are not meant to be financial beneficial to the buyer, the buyer is only looking at the monthly payment.
    These people are not savvy, they only look at auto as a monthly payment.
    If they can trade their 2 year old CRV for a Pilot for only $50 more a month that’s a win for them.


    Right now I think the most fun would be to pay off my Jeep and pick up a used A3 sportback for commuting to work.

    Lot of great deals out there, pick one up with a 3 year warranty and it’s still going to be less than $14k.

    https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...sModified=true

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •