Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    Here's a test. Which is less. $40k or $20k. ready, go
    Could you go over this with my Mrs? It never seems to work when I try to be a voice of reason.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

^ at my house we call it wife math.
    "Can't you see..."

But it’s 50% off!

> that’s 50% more than I wanted to spend

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Auto lease options

Anyone look into the car “subscriptions” Volvo was floating a few months ago? Seemed interesting. Lots of value I paying nothing except for gas

If you want to drive a brand new car for 2-3 years, I’m not really seeing the downside to leasing or a subscription when factoring in off the lot free fall in price and expensive maintenance.

But what do I know, I’m driving a 20 yr old Jeep into the ground

Pretty sure this is not based on a good financial decision

Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    If you want to drive a brand new car for 2-3 years, I’m not really seeing the downside to leasing or a subscription when factoring in off the lot free fall in price and expensive maintenance.
    That is the essence. “Wanting to drive a brand new car every 2-3 years” is not a financially sound decision. But if that’s what you want, then leasing is a convenient financing structure to accomplish it

Leasing broken down HERE. Leasing 101: Should I lease a car?
    Click. Point. Chute.

Here's a test. Which is less. $40k or $20k. ready, go
    I drove a $2k bus for 10 years then a $12k F150 for 18 years, still own both because I’m sentimental over my rides.

I’m driving a ‘14 Grand Cherokee now, owe about $10k on it and it just turned over 100k miles so the clock is ticking. Once a car goes over 140k miles the depreciation drops dramatically because it turns into a cash car, no reputable bank or CU lends on vehicles with mileage that high.

At first I thought what the hell live a little and buy more than you need, new job in the industry might as well take advantage of the perks. But after looking at the numbers I’d be better off stashing the extra cash away for retirement so I’m probably going to end up buying used and get a loan through my CU.

Well. I strongly recommend a solara convert. They are really popular around here.

Toyota’s are too small and underpowered.
    I can pick up this Fit for $11k, drive it for another 20 years but where’s the fun in that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5E5FF074-E1B0-407C-A446-2C0A9E0A412F.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	684.4 KB 
ID:	291521

I’m tired of marrying up with cars, I tried to convince myself to spend some money and see if leasing is a good option but it not unless you want to drive a Civic. Back to the used whore market.

Name:  93C5F0FC-BC83-4A93-B53F-DDB6FDAB10D2.jpeg
Views: 497
Size:  93.0 KB

Name:  758617F8-58C4-4094-A4DD-E5DE80B4B651.jpeg
Views: 512
Size:  108.2 KB
    Last edited by mud; 08-17-2019 at 08:30 PM.

I’m coming up to 250k on my pilot.

Next yr I’m buying a used, and loaded, pilot/ or Highlander with 50k in the clock and will be giddy about it.

I’d lease an inexpensive car as a second car if I needed one. Or maybe for my kids so they don’t have expensive bills for me to pay, but it would be a leased civic, with no radio and roll down windows.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Civic’s are what started me down the lease wormhole.
    They hold the best value over two to three years I could sell it for $2k to $3k over payoff. They don’t make them anymore with roll down windows, personally the EX and Sport hatchbacks are the most fun to drive. You can dog the hell out of them and still get 30+ mpg. Used are easy to pick up under $20k.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1BC2219D-DB2E-4FDB-BA38-0C0179BCB8E1.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	665.0 KB 
ID:	291800

^ yeah we are on different planets. that's fer damn sure. It's only about the least cost per mile. period.

OP - take note of how Bobby reacts. Tells ya what you need to know. And bobby, if you want to debate car finance, without all your hystrics, I'm not going anywhere.

"Big man."
    You don't buy expensive cars. Obviously a lease doesn't make sense.

If you bought expensive cars, it would. Not hard to grasp is it?

People who buy expensive cars every 1-3 years are different than people who drive a farted in Japanese econo box for 500k miles. Neither are wrong. They just like different things. If you like having a exotic or luxury vehicle then a lease gives the person more financial protection. I take it you have never tried to sell a luxury or exotic with a bad carfax?

Most people are payment buyers. Not cash.

You could probably save a ton of money just riding public transportation...

What's "hystrics"?
    Last edited by Bobby Stainless; 08-20-2019 at 01:26 PM.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

^^ right.

There is nothing wrong with buying a fun or luxurious or cool car. We’re skiers. We spend money on extraneous shit as a hobby. Just recognize that anything over about $150/month is no longer justifiable as transportation need, but is instead transportation want.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    If you bought expensive cars, it would. Not hard to grasp is it?
    Is the OP trying to buy an exotic car? not hard to grasp, is it?
    "Can't you see..."

Is the OP trying to buy an exotic car? not hard to grasp, is it?
    Not true. Depends completely on the type of car and if its run through a biz or not.

The normal buying cycle for premium buyers is 3 years/36 months. Pretty sure BMW leases way more than they sell. I've been out of the franchise part of the business for awhile though.

Another interesting program is the multiple car lease the Benz/Audi/BMW do.
    9th post. Try and keep up.

OP also mentions a Q8 in the first post. 60k would be a expensive car to a Solara owner.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

you keep answering all the questions except the ones that are asked. Keep up.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Anyone look into the car “subscriptions” Volvo was floating a few months ago? Seemed interesting. Lots of value I paying nothing except for gas

But what do I know, I’m driving a 20 yr old Jeep into the ground
    You can check it out at https://www.volvocars.com/us/shoppin.../care-by-volvo
    The fact that you can swap cars every 12 months is REALLY appealing for those who like always being in new cars. It's also cool that you really don't have to worry about any maintenance or insurance.

That all said, it ain't cheap and if you crunch the numbers I'm really don't think the math pans out. Even taking the high depreciation you'd normally see on those cars into account. The monthly payments ain't cheap. Sounds hassle free and simple, which is worth the premium for many people, but I think I'd only go that route if I was just rolling in cash. For which I am not. Haha.

you keep answering all the questions except the ones that are asked. Keep up.
    Lol. You mad.

LOL. I'm not mad a bit. just amused.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    So I’m in need of a new ride within the next year, preferably an suv for space but open to wagons.

The Q7 is nice but then you sit in a Q8 and things start getting ridiculous. .
    Q7 are over 6000GVWR, thus qualifying for accelerated depreciation, if you use it for your dental supply business.

Buy it at the end of December, a great time to buy cars, and still get the the whole years worth of depreciation.

Yeah, Audi’s are nice but a bit too much car for me. Right now Honda’s and Toyota’s hold the best residual resale value but looking long term buying slightly used makes the most sense.

I hear Solaras are nice.

I hear Solaras are nice.
    I strongly recommend a solara convert. They are really popular around here.
    Try and keep up
    Bad form man, but hey. you consistent.
    "Can't you see..."

What about leasing with a buyout at the end? Is tht even a thing? I don't know shit about leasing but I'm kinda slowly turning around the idea of buying a Grand Cherokee. It seems like they are either great or terrible. If it was terrible it would be nice to have it be their responsibility, and if it was great it would be nice to keep it. Does this make any sense at all?

Yeah, buy a Toyota, I know.