Thread: Hiking in Japan

Hiking in Japan

Anyone have any good resources on hiking in Japan? Going to be there in September with my wife. Not looking necessarily for specific recommendations, but would love to find a reliable site with information like:
    * trailhead location
    * roundtrip or one way distance
    * elevation gain

Proximity to Japan Rail would be nice to know also. Most of the google results seem uber touristy and my Japanese is ah, not the best. Ideally looking for what fit western states types might consider a hike (eg, 8-15 miles RT and 3-6k' vertical) rather than a 2 mile 500' paved walk...

Ideally a resource to search on our own would be ideal. Otherwise... anything westish / southish of Tokyo...

I don’t know how good this site and its related guidebook are but it seems solid:

https://japanhike.wordpress.com/kita/

I’ve never hiked in Japan in summer but skied a decent bit in the Kita Alps and I’d love to return to check them out without skis some day. It’s only two or three hours from Tokyo to Nagano via Shinkansen and then renting a car is probably simplest. But there are trains and buses that service just about everywhere; you may just have to wait a while and it might not be convenient, for remote trailheads especially.

Hyperdia.com is fairly comprehensive for figuring out train and bus schedules. If you are going to rent a car it’s pretty easy but you need to get an international drivers license from AAA before you leave.

I realize you said you'll be near Tokyo, but if you end up in Hokkaido at all this website has pretty comprehensive information: https://hokkaidowilds.org/hike

Are you going to hike Fuji?

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    No, currently looking at some of the peaks around Matsumoto en route to Kyoto and Kagoshima. I realize everything will be crowded but Fuji crowds sound dreadful...

I'm hiking it this September, crowds be damned. I hate crowds more than most, but it's fuckin' Mt Fuji! I'm there for the culture anyways not to get away.

But I'd be curious to hear if you got beta on something impressive but not so packed.

I like the atmosphere in Japan

I like the atmosphere in Japan. I used to travel in Tokyo, I really like people and the way they work with the cold weather of winter here
    Last edited by Jaimedun; 11-06-2021 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post

Last summer I used to wander at Fuji with my wife
    Last edited by Jaimedun; 11-06-2021 at 07:49 PM.

forgot about this thread for a while. we hiked Mt Yakedake outside of Matsumoto. it was fun with no car... took a bus to a "bus stop" that was basically just a sign by the side of a steep highway embankment. then you walk ~3 miles to the trailhed. it rained every step from the bus stop to the summit and back. not much for views.

Japan, however, was fucking awesome.

Last year my brother and I went to Mount Fuji. The mountain is open for climbing only in July and August. The ascent began from the 5th step. To see the sunrise and protect ourselves from the sun, we climbed the mountain at night with an overnight stay in a hut on the 1st or 8th steps and got up at 4:00 in the morning to complete the journey. The climb up the mountain was a very difficult task, as volcanic ash behaves like sand underfoot. Above grade 8, altitude sickness sometimes appears, but we did not have. It is much colder at the top of the mountain than below, but we prepared ourselves and took warm clothes with us.
    I loved it, it was a fantastic experience. But I don’t know if I would have dared to do it a second time, because it was difficult.

I can't even imagine how incredible the view is.would you like to just play football? I understand that this is not comparable to the mountains. but it's safer

Google "Laid Back Camp."

Lots of great information on camping in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by adia View Post
    I can't even imagine how incredible the view is.would you like to just play football? I understand that this is not comparable to the mountains. but it's safer
    i would just set up my camera on a tripod, take timelapse shots and drink coffee from a thermos

Quote Originally Posted by adia View Post
    It seems to me that if you say so, then you have never been in the mountains. Those feelings when you have climbed to the top are incomparable!

bots love hiking in japan....

I have the most life-long journey through the Crimean mountains. 2 weeks of travel: 1 week in the mountains, and then went down to the sea and rested there for one more week in tents. Wonderful feelings: walking in the mountains and seeing the sea in the distance!

don't go to the forest

whatever you do - just don't go to that one forest... you know

You talking about the suicide forest?

This is my biggest dream. As we know, dreams don't come true because dreams come true.

Quote Originally Posted by mishaladem8 View Post
    I want to hike Mount Fiji. Please God please.
    Mount Fiji is how tall compared to Mount Fuji?
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

Whole lotta WTF in here

Hiking in Japan

For hiking a Japan Fiji Fuji I always need a sunscreen, an air mattress, a waterproof tent and sunglasses. A god sun or cowboy hat and a camp barbecue stove knife and fishing net is necessary if one wants to ascend above the cloud. You will consider also to bring a handheld fan and proper battery bank for your device. Good sandals and an embroidered towel can add significantly to comfort in the Fiji especially upon summit camp.

Further one is using a solar camping panel and an amazing way to lose weight that doctor Fujifiji hates that is sleeping in a travel suitcase where seniors can get discounts on SUV that sell for cheap. If you want to ascend Fuji you will notice that it is such a tall mountain that it is maybe close to as tall as Kilimanjaro or even taller. If your dermatologist hates this new skin Fuji then you want these Arabian Sandstorm Goggles.

Your hydration helmet will keep you wet when under the canopy but you will want a cheap mister hat attachment and an emergency pancho tarp for survival and a ferro rod with a first aid kit unit that serves for multiple sport.

When the bounce castle and propane grill attachment arrive, follow the directions for your best ascension to the summit. A sulphuric smell is normal. You will be summiting properly if you have inexpensive approach footwear and honestly I would recommend that you try out the language application everyone loves and the new senior apartments in Burbank!

After three days you will wonder if supplemental health insurance really can be low cost. Can it! It can! As you summit your dream into a cloud you will find a need to having a proper motorized scooter or aluminum pot. Titanium may be for you and snowpeak is made in Fiji because of the popular waves and summiting yacht scene.

This summit is only for the willing but it is for all who are willing. It may seem tough but you will have quality bear spray and insect resistant clothing. The sense of accomplishing a cloud mountain is something that only gods enjoyed until this one man invented some wind pants to keep you warm when the wind blows on the granitic uplift that causes Mt. Fiji to tower above popular hiking destinations.

If you are at big altitude keep you friends warm with does anyone offer an ultralight four person cook set that is on with freeze dried Fiji meals from a backpack? Of course you can filter water but it is possible to carry up to 8 gallons per person if one creative uses big water gallon carry container. A simple llama can be utilized with an embroidered pack for llama ascending and weed free feed that will be carried in the llama pack.

I find that cloud mountain mom was stunned about these five ways to reduce a pack weight to start with a quality pack first then pick the right gear to fill the quality chosen Fiji pack. You can also find ultralight flashlight because at night on the Fiji, the moonlight will move you but your ultralight flashlight will guide the way.

If you need a quality yurt frame or walking stick you will find these can increase the comfort of a long summit or even beach night to camper van trailer generator. We tried these fish summit cooking and it was a game changing with a energy shake and five foods to avoid.

But first…. The news…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Jong Lafitte; 06-25-2022 at 02:26 PM.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    For hiking a Japan Fiji Fuji I always need a sunscreen, an air mattress, a waterproof tent and sunglasses. A god sun or cowboy hat and a camp barbecue stove knife and fishing net is necessary if one wants to ascend above the cloud. You will consider also to bring a handheld fan and proper battery bank for your device. Good sandals and an embroidered towel can add significantly to comfort in the Fiji especially upon summit camp.

Further one is using a solar camping panel and an amazing way to lose weight that doctor Fujifiji hates that is sleeping in a travel suitcase where seniors can get discounts on SUV that sell for cheap. If you want to ascend Fuji you will notice that it is such a tall mountain that it is maybe close to as tall as Kilimanjaro or even taller. If your dermatologist hates this new skin Fuji then you want these Arabian Sandstorm Goggles.

Your hydration helmet will keep you wet when under the canopy but you will want a cheap mister hat attachment and an emergency pancho tarp for survival and a ferro rod with a first aid kit unit that serves for multiple sport.

When the bounce castle and propane grill attachment arrive, follow the directions for your best ascension to the summit. A sulphuric smell is normal. You will be summiting properly if you have inexpensive approach footwear and honestly I would recommend that you try out the language application everyone loves and the new senior apartments in Burbank!

After three days you will wonder if supplemental health insurance really can be low cost. Can it! It can! As you summit your dream into a cloud you will find a need to having a proper motorized scooter or aluminum pot. Titanium may be for you and snowpeak is made in Fiji because of the popular waves and summiting yacht scene.

This summit is only for the willing but it is for all who are willing. It may seem tough but you will have quality bear spray and insect resistant clothing. The sense of accomplishing a cloud mountain is something that only gods enjoyed until this one man invented some wind pants to keep you warm when the wind blows on the granitic uplift that causes Mt. Fiji to tower above popular hiking destinations.

If you are at big altitude keep you friends warm with does anyone offer an ultralight four person cook set that is on with freeze dried Fiji meals from a backpack? Of course you can filter water but it is possible to carry up to 8 gallons per person if one creative uses big water gallon carry container. A simple llama can be utilized with an embroidered pack for llama ascending and weed free feed that will be carried in the llama pack.

I find that cloud mountain mom was stunned about these five ways to reduce a pack weight to start with a quality pack first then pick the right gear to fill the quality chosen Fiji pack. You can also find ultralight flashlight because at night on the Fiji, the moonlight will move you but your ultralight flashlight will guide the way.

If you need a quality yurt frame or walking stick you will find these can increase the comfort of a long summit or even beach night to camper van trailer generator. We tried these fish summit cooking and it was a game changing with a energy shake and five foods to avoid.

But first…. The news…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I will hire you as my climbing guide!.. Or maybe lifestyle guide
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?