Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Shot my bow a bunch today. Obviously, I just need to shoot a bunch more to get my game back up. What's concerning is that based on everything I can find online my bow only gets like 250fps MAX. At 30yds I felt fairly confident. At 45 I seemed like the arrows were barely getting to the target.

I know gear isn't a replacement for practice, but that's an awful low FPS to safely shoot at anything of size. Sure whitetails from a tree stand at 25 yds, but not elk. Shooting easton camo hunter alu arrows with 125g tips. Is it a waste of time to find a lighter arrow with the same spine?

Really trying to convince myself to not get a new bow. It's not working.

Dood...FPS should not be a main focus. Go get your bow tuned up at a shop, get some arrows that weren't built in the 1990s and you should be fine.

The speed numbers that people throw around are hyper inflated and mostly based on IBO stats that are completely unrealistic for a hunting set up scenario. For example, my Mathews has a claimed IBO speed of 345fps. With my draw length, hunting arrow and about 70lbs draw weight, I am barely getting 260fps. And guess what, it kills shit just fine.

More importantly get a heavy arrow (500+ grains) tuned to your bow and practice, practice, practice.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3047_LI.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	3.76 MB 
ID:	293625

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Shot my bow a bunch today. Obviously, I just need to shoot a bunch more to get my game back up. What's concerning is that based on everything I can find online my bow only gets like 250fps MAX. At 30yds I felt fairly confident. At 45 I seemed like the arrows were barely getting to the target.

I know gear isn't a replacement for practice, but that's an awful low FPS to safely shoot at anything of size. Sure whitetails from a tree stand at 25 yds, but not elk. Shooting easton camo hunter alu arrows with 125g tips. Is it a waste of time to find a lighter arrow with the same spine?

Really trying to convince myself to not get a new bow. It's not working.
    How heavy is the total arrow with broadhead weight? 250fps with close to a 400grn is plenty. I’ve killed a ton of elk with most pass through with a 390grn arrow going 285fps.

that arrow is probably 10 gpi, plus insert, vanes, 125 gr head, you're looking at 500 grains plus, which is a nice heavy arrow. I like heavy arrows..

If your bow’s IBO speed is 250, your probably only gettin 200-240 depending on draw weight and length, not sure if you factored that in. I blew through my elk at 50 yards with a 475gr arrow, 125 gr head, ~13%foc, ~264fps. Foc and arrow weight are your friend.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

The 2114 version of the Easton Camo Hunter is 9.9 GPI. I only have a few arrows so kinda need more anyway, so figured I should get a new set. The fletching on my current arrows is that old school fake actual feather shit which gets beat to shit really fast. Even the "good" looking ones that I have don't fly all that straight. Like I can see the arrow do weird shit in the air sometimes.

The 2114 version of the Easton Camo Hunter is 9.9 GPI. I only have a few arrows so kinda need more anyway, so figured I should get a new set. The fletching on my current arrows is that old school fake actual feather shit which gets beat to shit really fast. Even the "good" looking ones that I have don't fly all that straight. Like I can see the arrow do weird shit in the air sometimes.
    First recommendation - don't watch your arrow in flight. Keep your eyes on target and concentrate on form and follow though. Don't drop your bow at the shot, try to keep your sight target.

Second - work on form. if your arrow is wandering, and your bow is in good tune, it's a form flaw that will only be exaggerated by a broadhead. Grip, anchor and follow through every shot. Don't torque the bow.

Third - if you need new arrows, go tomorrow. The shops are bombed right now. And bring your bow in for some shots in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by mcove View Post

Name:	IMG_3047_LI.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	3.76 MB 
ID:	293625
    Magnificent animal. Bet he tastes pretty good, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

In response to the new arrows-AL arrows can bend. hold an arrow with the point in your palm, loosely rest the shaft in your other hand (phrasing?) and blow on the fletchings to spin the arrow, you should notice or feel any abnormalities in straightness.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

My bow was shooting like crap consistently. Arrows getting kicked all weird. I think the quiktune rest I had on there was hitting the fletchings really hard. Put a new whisker biscuit on there and paper tuned it and its shooting SO much nicer now. Quiet, straight, fast.

Well, off to see if any elk are stupid enough to let me run an arrow through them..

Name:	9-17.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	321.7 KB 
ID:	294325

They're out there. Got 100yds from a bull last Friday and I barely know what I'm doing. Was doing shit cow calls and he was marching up the hill until the wind swirled and he ran off.

Saw some elk, chatted a bit, couldn't talk one into coming home with me. Got some Blues though..

Name:	IMG_20190918_165418.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	294810

Name:	IMG_20190918_165536.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	294811

Some outta staters here in pburg were calling them 1000 dollar chickens. Obviously referring to their cost of liscence and lack of elk....

Watched a helicopter trying to shoot wolves from the air a couple days ago. Not sure if they connected.

Classic chukar opener...got my ass handed to me. 2k in vertical, one bird in the bag. Dogs did great, pointed and I shot the only bird I had an opportunity on but they were flushing way wild which was odd considering it was opener.

Oh well. Fun to get out there.

My coworkers and I had a bull at 15 yards the other night. Problem was, I don't have an archery tag and was on my belly with a camera while the shooter was watching the big bull we had been conversing with 50 yards up the hill. Meanwhile, a sneaky 5x5 came right in. He never even saw it.

Had another bull with a cow coming toward my cow calls on Wednesday, but they busted me. Went out this am hoping the cold/snow was getting them moving. Heard a couple faint cow calls and saw about 10 million rain drops/fat wet snowflakes. Still a nice morning out walking.

Anyone had any luck in the past week? Had a screaming match with a huge bull with 4 cows. Of course he was 200yds into private and didn't want to budge at all. Seems the cold/snow last weekend moved everything down. Haven't seen/heard anything above 6400'. The big system moving in will change things up for sure.

Anyone had any luck in the past week? Had a screaming match with a huge bull with 4 cows. Of course he was 200yds into private and didn't want to budge at all. Seems the cold/snow last weekend moved everything down. Haven't seen/heard anything above 6400'. The big system moving in will change things up for sure.
    With that big storm system rolling into your area I would go sit a migration trail. I did that a few times in archery when I lived there and killed some nice bulls in archery.

I don't hunt, but this happened on our most recent backpacking trip...volume needs to be turned up, it's loudest about the 50-sec mark. So fortunate to experience this evening serenade...it continued throughout the night & into the next day.

Jumped a bachelor bull in his bed yesterday. He started to come in to calls, but he was almost directly uphill and I'm sure he winded me. Of course he was in one of those areas where there are so many downed trees that hiking speed is like 1.5mph. I don't think I have ever climbed over so many trees in my life in one day.

Quote Originally Posted by isisis View Post
    I don't hunt, but this happened on our most recent backpacking trip...volume needs to be turned up, it's loudest about the 50-sec mark. So fortunate to experience this evening serenade...it continued throughout the night & into the next day.
    Awesome. That's like the elk rut equivalent of the first week of freshmen year in college.

Shot a bunch of ludes today. Dogs did great...good to be back in the swing of things.

The Forest Horses have eluded me thus far. Looks like approaching storm sent them down low. Last thursday my buddy was damn near surrounded. By Friday they were gone. Nothing yesterday either. Damn.

Well, pressure off. I drew a pretty rare tag (only 20 in an entire unit). I had two weeks to get my first bull elk and I was 6 days deep in combing the woods to no avail. I had seen elk every day while out, but could never get close enough to even pull my rifle out.

Luckily I got a tip of a herd that was moving up and down a draw not too far from town. Left work at 4, hiking by 4:30 and by 5:30 we spotted the heard about a mile and a half out way high up on a ridge. I figured there was no way they'd be down from there by shooting hours, but we decided to cut the distance, set up on a hillside and hoped they followed their pattern from the day before. Sure enough, about 10 minutes of getting settled the first cows starting filtering out of the trees about 800 yards up and away from us. Another 10 minutes and the first cows were at about 250 yards. About this time a bull starting bugling pretty heavy. Then another joined in. Pretty soon it was every 20-30 seconds. Finally a bull showed himself but was constantly covered by cows, or behind a tree. After a good 15-20 minutes of dodging my view, he finally slipped left of the trees and clear of his ladies. He was a bit farther than I hoped to shoot this season, but I figured this could be it. I squeezed the trigger. I was pretty darn sure I had taken a nice shot, however when I look back through my scope... nothing. Just two cows looking around and starting to walk calmly away. Turns out a double lung shot dropped him right back off a 2 foot ledge and he tumbled down out of our view. I thought I was going to have a full blown heart attack while we walked across the draw to see if I had connected. But, there he was crumpled in a pile, right where I shot him.

I had to scratch out my stupid grin in the photo. I was over the fucking hill.

Name:	Attach25093_20191008_010741.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	297033
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't
    help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs...

Hell yeah man! Nice bull!!