Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Wanted to give a quick shout out to mag CountryFunk! He sent me these wings to help train the new pup. And a sweet sticker FKNA!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191120_132946.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	303083

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Last two days have been the least amount of tracks I have seen since September. Holy shit. Deader than disco. Demoralizing walking and glassing for hours and they just aren't there. At least when there isn't new snow you never know for sure. With a fresh 2-3 inches we knew for sure if anything was moving. Walked damn near every inch of the section the last two days and nothing but mulies and coyotes.

Got a possible break though. Friend invited me to hunt private tomorrow where a herd has been getting into the hay bales. Might be tapping into my hang em from the bucket of the tractor roots.

Yeah the elk are holed up somewhere but damned if I know where ("up high and way back," as the old codgers say). Wife convinced me to hunt the Big Belts today and it was fun, had a good hike. I shot a cow on the slope above her head five or six years ago and have hardly been back to this spot since. Saw some nice muley bucks today, that's it. Dry as a bone up there, which is weird considering how much snow is in the Bridger pics on the SW Montana thread. Like an hour drive away? Anyway good luck with the hay bale hunt.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191121_103750.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	303256

Nothing wrong shooting them outta stubble fields. They sure are easier to load.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Yeah the elk are holed up somewhere but damned if I know where ("up high and way back," as the old codgers say).
    Ha, yeah that takes me back. Now you need some silverback to swerve in and say 'that's why they call it huntin' .. not killin' <spittoon sound>

+1 on stubble hunts. My fattest cow ever came from an alfalfa field. In some cases wardens here will issue 'damage tags' to help minimize loss.

Yeah, I do have a B tag that is good until February 15th in 3 HDs. My buddy and I are now calling shoulder season "Gaper Season".

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Yeah, I do have a B tag that is good until February 15th in 3 HDs. My buddy and I are now calling shoulder season "Gaper Season".
    The elk have wised up to that shoulder season thing too. They just hide over the fence on public rather than lollygagging on private like they used to. Which, the FWP will tell you, was the whole point of implementing the shoulder seasons. Disperse the elk and get them off huntable private so they do less damage. Unhuntable private will still find them congregated, of course. But most of those landowners are not real ranchers so they don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    The elk have wised up to that shoulder season thing too. They just hide over the fence on public rather than lollygagging on private like they used to. Which, the FWP will tell you, was the whole point of implementing the shoulder seasons. Disperse the elk and get them off huntable private so they do less damage. Unhuntable private will still find them congregated, of course. But most of those landowners are not real ranchers so they don't care.
    The trick is that you can still use B tags on state land, just not FS during shoulder season.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    The trick is that you can still use B tags on state land, just not FS during shoulder season.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Yeah you're right, in some districts you can. Not the ones near me, they are private only.

Careful out there, kids; one of my wife's patients has a family member in MT who shot a deer that had a foamy mouth. His butcher wouldn't touch it; neither would Fish and Game. One week later and the hunter is in critical condition in the ICU in Missoula. They don't know yet what got him, probably adenovirus or AHD; but he might not make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Careful out there, kids; one of my wife's patients has a family member in MT who shot a deer that had a foamy mouth. His butcher wouldn't touch it; neither would Fish and Game. One week later and the hunter is in critical condition in the ICU in Missoula. They don't know yet what got him, probably adenovirus or AHD; but he might not make it.
    Wow, that sucks! I hope he makes it. Any idea where he was hunting?

I have no idea; sorry. I can try to find out.

We have notice for southeastern BC about potential chronic Wasting Disease in the wild cervids. Mandatory head submission in place, but so far (submissions up to Sept 27th) have come up clean. The protocol is in place due to the reported presence of the disease in animals near the SE border (MT & ID). Wonder if this is what hit your wife's patient?
    http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/env...240-001843.pdf

But like AHD, there so far is no proper evidence that either disease is transmissible to humans. Scary shit.

Well that's too bad. Deer foaming at the mouth seems like a pretty clear indication that something is wrong. I would not be processing or eating that deer, or even touching it. I would report it to FWP and ask for a replacement tag.

I tested one of my deer last year for CWD, and I'm testing again this year and all years from now on. For anybody interested in how to extract the lymph nodes for testing, here's a video.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Wow that is scary stuff. If I shot a deer with a foamy mouth I wouldn't have even gotten close to it. Maybe he didn't see it at first and started gutting it or something?

Looking to throw a hail mary for closing week of general. I know I can get a cow at the private I hunted yesterday during shoulder season. I guess last winter the herd was crashing into the corral trying to get to hay with the homeowners 10 feet away lol.

Depending on work next week I may throw the topper back on the truck and sleep in it for 2 or 3 nights. Thinking Robb-Ledford/Snowcrest area. I know this area is pretty popular, but also holds lots of elk. If anyone has any experience with the area they would like to share please PM me. Mostly just looking for roads with decent pullouts that I can park the truck in/sleep in and then hike out of to hunt.

End of August caribou hunt in the Brooks Range. Pretty slow for most of the trip. These bulls showed up towards the end of the trip. Watched them all day. They eventually moved right past our ambush point late in the afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

^^beautiful pic, nice work

Quote Originally Posted by Patarero View Post
    End of August caribou hunt in the Brooks Range. Pretty slow for most of the trip. These bulls showed up towards the end of the trip. Watched them all day. They eventually moved right past our ambush point late in the afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Badass.

Haven't been here in a while but was happy to see this thread is still a tradition.

When I started hunting elk last year I had a goal of killing an elk within 5 years on public land in Colorado, and would have been happy with any elk. This year's hunt blew that out of the water and I'm still in awe of the experience. Hope all you that are still hunting can fill those tags and freezers!

Name:	IMG_1352(2).jpeg 
Views:	67 
Size:	453.6 KB 
ID:	303653

Name:	IMG_20191105_081612605_HDR.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	303654
    "...no hobby should either seek or need rational justification. To find reasons why it is useful or beneficial converts it at once from an avocation into an industry, lowers it at once to the ignominious category of an exercise undertaken for health, power or profit."
    -Aldo Leopold

Awesome flyandski!!

That's a nice bull!
    Congrats man.

What ya gonna do with the mount?

Thanks guys! This happened during 3rd rifle and I'm still over the moon about it. Feeling really fortunate I was able to take advantage of the opportunity and take him down with a clean double-lung shot. He walked about 20yds, stumbled and then collapsed. When he went down I did too and just sat there in the snow saying "holy shit" about 100 times.

I'm getting a euro mount and having the hide tanned for a rug/blanket. Gonna be a few months and I can't wait to get him back.
    "...no hobby should either seek or need rational justification. To find reasons why it is useful or beneficial converts it at once from an avocation into an industry, lowers it at once to the ignominious category of an exercise undertaken for health, power or profit."
    -Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by flyandski365 View Post
    Thanks guys! This happened during 3rd rifle and I'm still over the moon about it. Feeling really fortunate I was able to take advantage of the opportunity and take him down with a clean double-lung shot. He walked about 20yds, stumbled and then collapsed. When he went down I did too and just sat there in the snow saying "holy shit" about 100 times.

I'm getting a euro mount and having the hide tanned for a rug/blanket. Gonna be a few months and I can't wait to get him back.
    Very cool story! I've been there, your account took me back :-)

You can do the euro mount yourself really cheap/easy - I posted a 'euro mount TR' a couple pages back in this thread. Look me up if you want a hand or more in-depth details. Rewarding.

Hide: Sending that part out is highly recommended. I've tanned a number of them. Both hair on and off, and it's the most fun project I'll never do again (except for the two i'm doing this week. And all the rest going forward, sigh).
    Last edited by MiddleOfNight; 11-26-2019 at 11:25 AM.