Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    shoot what fits you, Kind of like ski boots. The brand within reason doesnt matter as much compared to shooting something that fits you properly. Plus you should practice and then practice more if you haven't shot a bow in a long time.

Throw in the towel.

Anyone have a rokslide account that would be willing to play middleman on a Classifieds purchase there? I'm new to hunting so have just been browsing their forum and didnt realize that after making an account I needed to wait 7 says prior to posting in the Classifieds or PMing someone. I can do all the payment stuff I just need to get ahold of the damn person.

Anyone? Help me buy boots please?

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Figured out my bow is like 17ish years old. Could have sworn it was a lot newer. Cost me probably $200 to re-string/cam/limb it, so I might as well start new.

Thoughts on this bow:

https://bozeman.craigslist.org/spo/d...958844575.html

Dude says strings are pretty new/waxed. Was shot 2 weeks ago.

Decent bow. Go shoot it to see if it fits you and if you like it. I shot 8 diff bows before settling on my Mathews. It felt the best at shot.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Decent bow. Go shoot it to see if it fits you and if you like it. I shot 8 diff bows before settling on my Mathews. It felt the best at shot.
    I can also get a brand new Diamond on sale for $350 at the local Bob Wards. I know I will spend $350 and be happy with it (considering the newest bow I have ever shot is almost 20 years old) and then want to buy a $1200 Mathews next year if I have money. No idea how much bow hunting I will really do this year. Maybe walk around 5 or 6 days in the mountains and got get close to anything lol.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Anyone? Help me buy boots please?
    Shot ya a pm.

I'll let the dust settle on first week of archery before I go out, If I don't connect I have a good hunt roster number and some private ground to shoot a cow elk. I'll also take a few days up in indian country chasing ditch chickens, and after that I'll punch some WT doe tags. I'm the opposite of WRG, I'll happily shoot stubble field WT does before any buck.

That’s basically a bowtech icon which I shot for my first two years of bow hunting. A great bow. Shoot a ton and don’t go to a pro shop and shoot new bows unless you’re ready to drop the coin on a new one.

Grouse opens Monday, still trying to fill this doe tag which is proving harder than it should be.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Got up at 4:30 this morning with my wife to go after cow elk. Place I used to have to myself early season. Pulled into the parking area and there's two campers and three trucks. We head out in the dark anyway, serenaded by howling wolves. Kind of cool to hear, but still...I think I can pretty much cross that spot off the list for now.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Got up at 4:30 this morning with my wife to go after cow elk. Place I used to have to myself early season. Pulled into the parking area and there's two campers and three trucks. We head out in the dark anyway, serenaded by howling wolves. Kind of cool to hear, but still...I think I can pretty much cross that spot off the list for now.
    Bummer man. Wolves will keep the elk out of there for a looong time.

What's your guys take on the American Prairie Reserve? Just listened to a long MeatEater podcast with Sean Gerrity. I guess most hunters concern is that the APR refuses to guarantee perpetual access for hunters. Access is already pretty good up there. They have taken down some interior fencing which is great for natural movement of existing wildlife, etc. Just don't quite see how APR is really gonna change much.

Cynically, it seems like a way to use donor money to grab up land with an unknown future use of the land.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Bummer man. Wolves will keep the elk out of there for a looong time.
    I wouldn't give up on a spot due to wolves. Last year after blowing a stalk on a 6-point that was bachelored up with four other bulls, a completely boner move on my part, I was hiking out disappointed and saw this guy doing some mid morning sunning about 1/2 mile from the bulls. Watched him for about an hour at 300 yards. There's been wolves in that area I hunt for years and it's a productive area.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4191.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	465.0 KB 
ID:	292972  

Well, 98% of the time up here, once a pack moves into a drainage it goes void of elk for a very long time, some areas they won’t move back into for over a year or more. Had many an area go void of elk once a pack rolls in. Just my experience. Hunt it all you want.
    Good luck on getting a second chance on that 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    What's your guys take on the American Prairie Reserve? Just listened to a long MeatEater podcast with Sean Gerrity. I guess most hunters concern is that the APR refuses to guarantee perpetual access for hunters. Access is already pretty good up there. They have taken down some interior fencing which is great for natural movement of existing wildlife, etc. Just don't quite see how APR is really gonna change much.

Cynically, it seems like a way to use donor money to grab up land with an unknown future use of the land.
    I listened to that podcast a while ago. I mean at some point its inevitable and at least with an organization with a board and and in need of donor money, it's always going to have opposite viewpoints to keep it in check. At some point a hunting advocacy group could raise their own money to donate with the condition of more access.
    The opposite could be said if an american oligarch and anti hunter like bezos decided to do the same thing he could permanently cut off access and have no one to oppose him at all. Not to mention, I think the taking down of fences has to be good for surrounding land owners as far as having real free range animals do their natural migrations.
    I guess what I'm saying is I'd take a group of people begging for funds over a single rich person with an agenda.

Welp, this last weekend was the worst opening day of Dove Season I've ever seen in Central Texas. Absolutely awful; no birds at all. Not even local ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

My little dude Sage is 6 months old. Trying to restrain myself and only shoot pointed birds, he's coming along nicely. Here's his first from the opener.

Muscle memory is off on the shotgun, forgot about the whole "take the safety off" step on my first flush of the season
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    I listened to that podcast a while ago. I mean at some point its inevitable and at least with an organization with a board and and in need of donor money, it's always going to have opposite viewpoints to keep it in check. At some point a hunting advocacy group could raise their own money to donate with the condition of more access.
    The opposite could be said if an american oligarch and anti hunter like bezos decided to do the same thing he could permanently cut off access and have no one to oppose him at all. Not to mention, I think the taking down of fences has to be good for surrounding land owners as far as having real free range animals do their natural migrations.
    I guess what I'm saying is I'd take a group of people begging for funds over a single rich person with an agenda.
    For what it's worth, I've spoken with their ED and they are very much pro hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post

My little dude Sage is 6 months old. Trying to restrain myself and only shoot pointed birds, he's coming along nicely. Here's his first from the opener.
    Dope. Stoked to get out there in a week. Never thought if miss opener, let alone be in Disneyland. FML.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Dope. Stoked to get out there in a week. Never thought if miss opener, let alone be in Disneyland. FML.
    That's some serious adulting, ever make it over here and want to chase sharpies let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    That's some serious adulting, ever make it over here and want to chase sharpies let me know.
    I'm seriously trying to make that happen. We should chat.

On a roll this year. Capitalized on a friends access to some private to fill my private lands only archery doe tag tonight. More meat in the freezer. Now I’m going to be very picky on the muzzy/rifle buck hunt. Can’t wait for ducks to kick off.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1A5A4D77-82BD-4884-B459-7E9B968704D5.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	389.3 KB 
ID:	293567

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums