Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Fall Days Afield 19/20

Paging the fillers of freezers. Time to rock and roll.

My tags this year include:
    3 season Spike elk (opens for archery Saturday)
    3 season buck tag
    anterless deer private lands
    Rifle Cow elk hunt on the Bookcliffs Roadless
    many duck and grouse missions

Good luck and be safe.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Excellent, Smithers.

I've got one local archery elk tag (either sex), one WA muzzleloader bull elk tag, one general deer tag (buck), one December muzzleloader elk tag (either sex). Best part is that I've never used a muzzleloader before. Got myself a Knight Bighorn and have commenced practicing.

Other than that, lots and lots of bird hunting now that both fraggle dogs are of age and ready to back each other (hopefully).
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Fall Days Afield 19/20

One of my favorite threads.
    That’s a lot of tags and meat if successful on all of them phall!
    Best of luck on the muzzy hunt Rev!
    I drew nada, all out of state tags that were a tough draw going in. Not sure if I’ll hunt big game general season this year. Might just focus on fishing and waterfowl this fall.
    Last edited by 2FUNKY; 08-12-2019 at 03:13 PM.

I didn't bother applying for any special tags this year in Montana. The general elk tag has so many options there really isn't any reason to need anything else. Lots of the districts around my home are open to antlerless elk and branch-antlered bull. Plus there's the shoulder season tags for antlerless elk, which actually opens in three days. Going to try to get out over Labor Day weekend, that's as soon as I can manage. I predict this will be the last year they offer the shoulder season tags. It's been pretty controversial to have people out there chasing elk with rifles six months a year.

Kinda bummed my only real hunting partner is gone from Montana this year, dealing with personal issues. Hopefully my wife will be psyched to get out a few times. With the kids getting older it's easier for us to go hunting and leave them alone, which is nice.

One of my favorite threads too.

either sex elk archery.
    either sex deer, private property rifle.

Struck out on elk last year - freezer is getting low!

Either Sex Archery Elk
    Cow Rifle 2nd season (may turn in and just grab a cow archery tag OTC)
    Buck 3rd season
    Couple bear tags
    Small game and waterfall for the rest of the year!

Good luck to all and can't wait to see the recipes and final products again this year.

I plan on doing general firearm for deer this year. Has been something I've wanted to do for quite a while, but with my new state I think it's time. Sounds like the success rate for deer in Idaho Panhandle is much better than deer in Central Washington. This will be a meat/learning hunt for me, so am open to anything legal.

Would also like to do some grouse hunting this fall, and a lot of fishing.

Early Rifle Deer
    3rd rifle bull tag
    couple bear tags
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

First elk with a bow on the opener. Lone cow must not have got the memo. 50 yards, double lung+heart, full passthrough.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3132.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	235.5 KB 
ID:	291603
    Buddy got it done today on a tanker cow, hell of a weekend, 20 miles and lots of heavy packs. Both using the new sevr broadheads, 1.5 it’s 125gr for me, 2.1ti 100’s for him. Did a fantastic job on both. Now to find some mulies!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7611.JPG 
Views:	141 
Size:	296.9 KB 
ID:	291605

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Damn dude! That’s a hell of a start!

Tenderloins!

FKNA Phall. Nice job on the elk!

Good work, p.hall!

Cute little bugger. Congrats, she'll taste wonderful.

Deers (a few)! Turkeys (a few)! Fishes (tons)! Doves (tons)! Hog (free refills)! No luck on my CO elk or mullie draw though.

Regardless, more than my freezer can hold. Will be checking back and reporting as the season progresses.

Best of luck to all.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

Way to go Phall!
    watch out for snakes

Phall Days Afield amirite

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Plan to get out for MT archery and general. Elk is the goal. Will get a deer tag just in case I see anything 180-190+. Will never shoot a deer again unless it's a lifetime buck. No special tags, but as yeahman said there is such an insane amount of land to hunt here and 95% of the yahoos from the bigger towns only hunt 50 feet from the ATV.

Got lucky this year and drew a trophy elk tag. Nor really in it for the trophy, but it will be sweet to be out in my unit with only 20 other folks... At the same time it's kind of intimidating since the unit is fucking huge...
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't
    help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs...

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    95% of the yahoos from the bigger towns only hunt 50 feet from the ATV.
    You must see more athletic types hunting on ATVs than I do. Many are hunting over the handlebars of the ATV or out the truck window. I will spare you the rant about ATV hunters screwing up my long stalks on foot.

I have MT elk and deer tags and shooting weekly to get ready for rifle season. Likely will go out for mountain grouse once or twice.

I haven't shot my bow in 7ish years. I know I know. Its been in a plastic hard case in a cool garage the whole time. Dangerous to draw/shoot without re-stringing?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Probably fine, should definitely put some wax on the string. If it were me I’d take it to a local shop and see what they say.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

It’s probably fine, bet it stretched some. For how inexpensive a string is, $90’ish, I would have it replaced. It would suck to have it let go and ruin a limb or two or worse yet, injure yourself.

Picked these up about a month ago. Shed this spring, so the fella will be in the area this fall. No big moose draw this year but I will tempt a spike bull if the opportunity arises.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BBFD67BE-EACD-4258-BE52-845934BA772F.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	730.5 KB 
ID:	292283

Fishing was pretty good this season. First time out with the father in law, my father couldn’t make it this year due to last minute health stuff. Wife reeled in her first tyee, I played with a 2m pacific octo, but gave him enough slack to unhook itself. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B947A094-CD15-4A5C-8236-424BF0AE49EE.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	404.1 KB 
ID:	292295
    20kg of ling cod and 40kg of spring, with some coho and rock fish for taste, are in the freezer. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	72658FF3-6CF6-439E-BF17-3F89CC76063B.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	555.6 KB 
ID:	292296
    So far an excellent year. Fall mushrooms starting soon too.
    Last edited by BCMtnHound; 08-25-2019 at 09:17 PM.

This a decent enough bow? I'm out of the loop and know the new stuff is fancier. Seems like alot of cheap newer bows on craigslist.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk