Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 110
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Queen City North Carolina
    Posts
    886
    shoot what fits you, Kind of like ski boots. The brand within reason doesnt matter as much compared to shooting something that fits you properly. Plus you should practice and then practice more if you haven't shot a bow in a long time.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Retardbumville
    Posts
    587
    Throw in the towel.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Methow Valley
    Posts
    764
    Anyone have a rokslide account that would be willing to play middleman on a Classifieds purchase there? I'm new to hunting so have just been browsing their forum and didnt realize that after making an account I needed to wait 7 says prior to posting in the Classifieds or PMing someone. I can do all the payment stuff I just need to get ahold of the damn person.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Methow Valley
    Posts
    764
    Anyone? Help me buy boots please?

  5. #30
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Posts
    12,317
    Figured out my bow is like 17ish years old. Could have sworn it was a lot newer. Cost me probably $200 to re-string/cam/limb it, so I might as well start new.

    Thoughts on this bow:

    https://bozeman.craigslist.org/spo/d...958844575.html

    Dude says strings are pretty new/waxed. Was shot 2 weeks ago.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    idaho panhandle!
    Posts
    6,944
    Decent bow. Go shoot it to see if it fits you and if you like it. I shot 8 diff bows before settling on my Mathews. It felt the best at shot.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Posts
    12,317
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Decent bow. Go shoot it to see if it fits you and if you like it. I shot 8 diff bows before settling on my Mathews. It felt the best at shot.
    I can also get a brand new Diamond on sale for $350 at the local Bob Wards. I know I will spend $350 and be happy with it (considering the newest bow I have ever shot is almost 20 years old) and then want to buy a $1200 Mathews next year if I have money. No idea how much bow hunting I will really do this year. Maybe walk around 5 or 6 days in the mountains and got get close to anything lol.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    idaho panhandle!
    Posts
    6,944
    Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Anyone? Help me buy boots please?
    Shot ya a pm.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Bozone
    Posts
    452
    I'll let the dust settle on first week of archery before I go out, If I don't connect I have a good hunt roster number and some private ground to shoot a cow elk. I'll also take a few days up in indian country chasing ditch chickens, and after that I'll punch some WT doe tags. I'm the opposite of WRG, I'll happily shoot stubble field WT does before any buck.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    8530' MST/200' EST
    Posts
    2,544
    Thatís basically a bowtech icon which I shot for my first two years of bow hunting. A great bow. Shoot a ton and donít go to a pro shop and shoot new bows unless youíre ready to drop the coin on a new one.

    Grouse opens Monday, still trying to fill this doe tag which is proving harder than it should be.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The 8th best place in the LBP
    Posts
    2,732
    Got up at 4:30 this morning with my wife to go after cow elk. Place I used to have to myself early season. Pulled into the parking area and there's two campers and three trucks. We head out in the dark anyway, serenaded by howling wolves. Kind of cool to hear, but still...I think I can pretty much cross that spot off the list for now.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    idaho panhandle!
    Posts
    6,944
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Got up at 4:30 this morning with my wife to go after cow elk. Place I used to have to myself early season. Pulled into the parking area and there's two campers and three trucks. We head out in the dark anyway, serenaded by howling wolves. Kind of cool to hear, but still...I think I can pretty much cross that spot off the list for now.
    Bummer man. Wolves will keep the elk out of there for a looong time.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Posts
    12,317
    What's your guys take on the American Prairie Reserve? Just listened to a long MeatEater podcast with Sean Gerrity. I guess most hunters concern is that the APR refuses to guarantee perpetual access for hunters. Access is already pretty good up there. They have taken down some interior fencing which is great for natural movement of existing wildlife, etc. Just don't quite see how APR is really gonna change much.

    Cynically, it seems like a way to use donor money to grab up land with an unknown future use of the land.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    8,123
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Bummer man. Wolves will keep the elk out of there for a looong time.
    I wouldn't give up on a spot due to wolves. Last year after blowing a stalk on a 6-point that was bachelored up with four other bulls, a completely boner move on my part, I was hiking out disappointed and saw this guy doing some mid morning sunning about 1/2 mile from the bulls. Watched him for about an hour at 300 yards. There's been wolves in that area I hunt for years and it's a productive area.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4191.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	465.0 KB 
ID:	292972  

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    idaho panhandle!
    Posts
    6,944
    Well, 98% of the time up here, once a pack moves into a drainage it goes void of elk for a very long time, some areas they wonít move back into for over a year or more. Had many an area go void of elk once a pack rolls in. Just my experience. Hunt it all you want.
    Good luck on getting a second chance on that 6.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Queen City North Carolina
    Posts
    886
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    What's your guys take on the American Prairie Reserve? Just listened to a long MeatEater podcast with Sean Gerrity. I guess most hunters concern is that the APR refuses to guarantee perpetual access for hunters. Access is already pretty good up there. They have taken down some interior fencing which is great for natural movement of existing wildlife, etc. Just don't quite see how APR is really gonna change much.

    Cynically, it seems like a way to use donor money to grab up land with an unknown future use of the land.
    I listened to that podcast a while ago. I mean at some point its inevitable and at least with an organization with a board and and in need of donor money, it's always going to have opposite viewpoints to keep it in check. At some point a hunting advocacy group could raise their own money to donate with the condition of more access.
    The opposite could be said if an american oligarch and anti hunter like bezos decided to do the same thing he could permanently cut off access and have no one to oppose him at all. Not to mention, I think the taking down of fences has to be good for surrounding land owners as far as having real free range animals do their natural migrations.
    I guess what I'm saying is I'd take a group of people begging for funds over a single rich person with an agenda.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Frantically crawling out of the backseat
    Posts
    360
    Welp, this last weekend was the worst opening day of Dove Season I've ever seen in Central Texas. Absolutely awful; no birds at all. Not even local ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Hereís the dumbest person on tgr
    "If you don't got Olin, then your store could use some fixin'"

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Behind the Potato Curtain
    Posts
    3,363


    My little dude Sage is 6 months old. Trying to restrain myself and only shoot pointed birds, he's coming along nicely. Here's his first from the opener.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    8530' MST/200' EST
    Posts
    2,544
    Muscle memory is off on the shotgun, forgot about the whole "take the safety off" step on my first flush of the season
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Orangina
    Posts
    7,145
    Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    I listened to that podcast a while ago. I mean at some point its inevitable and at least with an organization with a board and and in need of donor money, it's always going to have opposite viewpoints to keep it in check. At some point a hunting advocacy group could raise their own money to donate with the condition of more access.
    The opposite could be said if an american oligarch and anti hunter like bezos decided to do the same thing he could permanently cut off access and have no one to oppose him at all. Not to mention, I think the taking down of fences has to be good for surrounding land owners as far as having real free range animals do their natural migrations.
    I guess what I'm saying is I'd take a group of people begging for funds over a single rich person with an agenda.
    For what it's worth, I've spoken with their ED and they are very much pro hunting.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Orangina
    Posts
    7,145
    Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post


    My little dude Sage is 6 months old. Trying to restrain myself and only shoot pointed birds, he's coming along nicely. Here's his first from the opener.
    Dope. Stoked to get out there in a week. Never thought if miss opener, let alone be in Disneyland. FML.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Behind the Potato Curtain
    Posts
    3,363
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Dope. Stoked to get out there in a week. Never thought if miss opener, let alone be in Disneyland. FML.
    That's some serious adulting, ever make it over here and want to chase sharpies let me know.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Orangina
    Posts
    7,145
    Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    That's some serious adulting, ever make it over here and want to chase sharpies let me know.
    I'm seriously trying to make that happen. We should chat.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    8530' MST/200' EST
    Posts
    2,544
    On a roll this year. Capitalized on a friends access to some private to fill my private lands only archery doe tag tonight. More meat in the freezer. Now Iím going to be very picky on the muzzy/rifle buck hunt. Canít wait for ducks to kick off.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1A5A4D77-82BD-4884-B459-7E9B968704D5.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	389.3 KB 
ID:	293567


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

  25. #50
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Posts
    12,317

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •