Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    A trip to the shooting range?

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I was 2" high at 100yds at the range. I was hitting 8" gong at 300yds in the wind.

Either my scope got fucked up from banging my rifle around sliding around in the snow for the last 5 weeks or I just suck lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I was 2" high at 100yds at the range. I was hitting 8" gong at 300yds in the wind.

Either my scope got fucked up from banging my rifle around sliding around in the snow for the last 5 weeks or I just suck lol.
    A trip to the range or a bore laser will answer the question if your reticle wandered. Does your scope have a turret setting for distance? Will be happy to accompany you to the range some afternoon after skiing to punch some targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    A trip to the range or a bore laser will answer the question if your reticle wandered. Does your scope have a turret setting for distance? Will be happy to accompany you to the range some afternoon after skiing to punch some targets.
    It's a Leupold VX-1 with MOA but not on the fly turrets. I've just been shooting on BLM land, never been to the actual range, but would be nice to get a membership out there. Always down to shoot one of these days!

Stupid mobile deleted my post. Being zeroed at 200 would not cause you to miss that high. Check your rifle before hunting again.

I've just been shooting on BLM land, never been to the actual range, but would be nice to get a membership out there. Always down to shoot one of these days!
    Red Rocks! You are already a member as it is a Gallatin County range. You get what you pay for as shirtless drunk dudes with half a case of beer and handguns are sometime there. A winter afternoon and we should have the place to ourselves. We might even coax Harry out for some target shooting, low score buys the chicken dinners at the River House.

I also wish to know more.
    What rifle? What's the optic offset?

I bet something is wacked with that glass. love to see zero 50-300 yds on the 50. some setups zero at 50/250 which might explain the 100/300 readings.

It's a Leupold VX-1 with MOA but not on the fly turrets. I've just been shooting on BLM land, never been to the actual range, but would be nice to get a membership out there. Always down to shoot one of these days!
    How old is the Leopold? Leopold at one point had quality control issues with their scopes until someone came in and straightened the place up.
    The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.

Definitely thinking I need to shoot again at least at 100-150 and make sure things aren't totally out of whack. I've been shooting at a place out by Three Forks. Red Rocks is the place down just south of Big Sky against the cliffs?

I'm shooting a Rem Model 700 30-06. No idea what the offset is. The scope is only like 3 years old. I've shot a couple deer with it and had success at the range out to 300 like I was saying, but I have been out alot bumping around and slipping and falling in the snow.

When I shot on Sunday I felt like I really slowed down and made sure to follow through and watch through the scope after I shot. Still kinda can't believe I missed.

check the floor plate screw.

I’m not the best at getting optics dialed in, but recently learned from a trusted gunsmith who is a no shit kinda guy that the prior person I had mount a couple of optics didn’t know his ass from his elbow. I know - mount your own fucking optics and all, but it’s amazing how I am now able to dial in a late model leupold that was all over the place and I suspected pilot error on my part. Turns out the goober put shims in, a shitty set of rings and now, miraculously, it is a laser.

I'm shooting a Rem Model 700 30-06. No idea what the offset is. The scope is only like 3 years old. I've shot a couple deer with it and had success at the range out to 300 like I was saying, but I have been out alot bumping around and slipping and falling in the snow.

When I shot on Sunday I felt like I really slowed down and made sure to follow through and watch through the scope after I shot. Still kinda can't believe I missed.

Confidence in your ammo?
    Even a hot load (giggity) wouldn't push that high - and I doubt it was you. Sure the shot was high? A low-charge 'squib' could drop it low.
    If you know glass height and appx muzzle velocity the math is easy to get close on the zero(s).
    I like the 50 because it gives another at 250/300 and fast adjustments 0-500 are brainless on the mil.

Long story I bet the glass was knocked. Or loose, or a ring problem maybe. Hows the windage do you know?

Let us know what you find at the range. I love shooting, will help .. but in CO. Feel free to come down, range out to 1000

fwiw I've got that 700 too - a precision instrument of surgery.
    but 2 years ago on a mid season confirmation, my glass was magically 8" high at 50 yd zero :-/ .... dunno how it happened.
    Stuff happens.

I feel for ya man, you've been working harder than any of us.
    Pulling for ya!

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
    I know - mount your own fucking optics and all
    Hhahaha!! I laughed. audibly. 'out loud' as they say.

Update: I guess I suck lol! Went to the range quickly after work today. Shot 15 rounds at 100yds. Decent groups. I just pulled it. User error.

What’s decent?

At least you now how the confidence to go out and not second-guess your rifle. That is the worst feeling ever.

Update
    Fuck, dude. I just checked in on this thread after being way from the internet for a while. With the blood, sweat, and tears you're putting in this season, in spite of your luck so far, you're in line to put a no shit trophy that looks like he just walked off the cover of Big Bulls Quarterly on the wall and in the freezer. Mother Nature rewards her disciples, and you've definitely been saying your prayers, making your sacrifices, and filling the collection plate.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

2-3" groups. It was almost 5pm on the shady side of a big cliff and I had somewhere to be so I just quickly setup and shot off my backpack. Just wanted to get on paper and at least know it's bad shooting and not my scope. Either way I need to spend a bunch of time on the range over the next year and get way more consistent.

2-3" groups. It was almost 5pm on the shady side of a big cliff and I had somewhere to be so I just quickly setup and shot off my backpack. Just wanted to get on paper and at least know it's bad shooting and not my scope. Either way I need to spend a bunch of time on the range over the next year and get way more consistent.
    Good to know you'll be on next time you pull the trigger. I shoot of my pack at the range (gravel pit) as well. Started using a rolled up pair of heavy socks to give myself a rear rest underneath the grip and it really tightened up my groups. Same principle as a small sand bag, might be worth a shot.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

And keep after it man, just think of all those steaks in the freezer to keep you going.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

A buddy of mine who is a deer slayer missed a chip shot this year. He was rattled. Thought he bumped his optics. We spent some time at the range and it wasn’t the rifle. It sucks knowing you missed but it sucks more not trusting your rifle.

He went back out and nailed a brute. It will all work out for you in time.

Two cows were shot today by two friends in the area I have been hunting. Hoping the herd is still there tomorrow. Knew this week was gonna be good in there. The one week I am actually busy with work!

Hoping the herd is still there tomorrow.
    The herd likely will be around. Pulling for you to get a shot and a dropped elk.

For future reference the Red Rocks is just past the campground and picnic area called Red Rocks but on the west side of US 191. There are target setups out to ~110 yards and my chicken dinner offer still stands. I need to find another spot for 300 yard practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    The herd likely will be around. Pulling for you to get a shot and a dropped elk.

For future reference the Red Rocks is just past the campground and picnic area called Red Rocks but on the west side of US 191. There are target setups out to ~110 yards and my chicken dinner offer still stands. I need to find another spot for 300 yard practice.
    That's what I thought. I shot there last week after working in BS. We should definitely have a maggot range day with riverhouse apres.

Stomping grounds were a ghost town today. I guess they got the hint when two of the ladies hit the deck and slid down the mountain yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Lol! That sucks man.
    Damn ghost town up here right now. Need a big Alberta clipper to replenish us. Never seen it this slow this time of the year.
    Ditto over this way. Way to slow.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Getting all piggy wiggly on the big island. Site won’t let me post photos from phone?