Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Shot my buck this weekend up around 9k feet. We call him Too Tall Jones or Uprights because he was a massive body with a very tall 4x4 rack, but very narrow and awkward. I'd post pics but I'm on mobile and I can't.

Either way, stoked to fill the freezer and move on to birds!

Nice dude. Can’t wait for pics.

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    What do you do with geese? Had it quite a few ways but not once has it tasted remotely good. Curious how others prepare it? Man I really need to get the new dog out for ditch chickens as well as take out the old mans 20ga.
    Going to guess it was not cared for well and over cooked. I have several ways of cooking it but the one thing is cook it so its medium rare to rare on the inside. I like to slice it into 1” thick strips, marinate in soy, garlic powder, sriracha for 45 min then toss on a hot grill until done.

[QUOTE=The Reverend Floater;5781624 Either way, stoked to fill the freezer and move on to birds![/QUOTE]

I flushed a couple coveys of huns today out deer hunting. It's no fun not being able to trundle after them with my shotgun. But I guess deer hunting has it's perks too!

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Going to guess it was not cared for well and over cooked. I have several ways of cooking it but the one thing is cook it so its medium rare to rare on the inside. I like to slice it into 1” thick strips, marinate in soy, garlic powder, sriracha for 45 min then toss on a hot grill until done.
    The Meateater goose pastrami recipe is fantastic. I'll be doing that with any/all geese I shoot this season.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    The Meateater goose pastrami recipe is fantastic. I'll be doing that with any/all geese I shoot this season.
    I also make jerky, summer sausage and jalapeño smokeys. Ill look that one up.

That's my Boy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191012_104203.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	748.2 KB 
ID:	298189

Opening morning went well. Rooster #3's tail was lost in a pitched battle to pull his wounded ass out of a snowberry thicket. IMO, there's not much better than a good day hunting with your dog.
    Why must I feel like that, why must I chase the cat?
    Nuthin' but the dog in me. George Clinton

Quote Originally Posted by CountryFunk View Post

Name:	20191012_104203.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	748.2 KB 
ID:	298189
    IMO, there's not much better than a good day hunting with your dog.
    Amen to that! Nice day.

We open next weekend. Stoked.

Going out to West Dakota next weekend. I hear it's been a good year for birds.

Name:	Western Dakota (2).jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	298.3 KB 
ID:	298201

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Most likely not cared for properly. I've had similar to what you describe and it was not good.(btw I love duck the same way or even a huckleberry reduction). The goose jerky I had was amazingly bad and dry, again prob just guy who made it. Pastrami sounds delicious I'll have to check it out.

Good on you guys for getting out with the dogs. My retriever has been flushing the tall grass and pointing to rising fish lately. I haven't bird hunted in years and did no bird training with him but he apparently has good lines and is turning into a good pup(10 month english golden).

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Welp, looks like I'll be out for rifle opener with all the other yahoos. Kinda thinking of sleeping out Friday night in the field to try to get a jump Saturday AM. Sorta freaked out about bivying out in bear country solo to be honest. I really like sleeping under my topper in my truck bed.

well. had a shot on a doe today.
    40yd 20 deg downhill in heavy snow.
    Never saw the arrow, but heard it hit ground and the sage ..
    F*CK!!!! are you kidding me I MISSED?! COMPLETELY??
    She trotted off just fine, watched her for a half mile. Then she jumped a fence and grazed a little.

I .. can not believe it.

Got home and set up my target, put a 3 arrow group in 1/2" so I have no idea what happened. Musta screwed up something. estimate of range or pitch or my ability or something.

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    well. had a shot on a doe today.
    40yd 20 deg downhill in heavy snow.
    Never saw the arrow, but heard it hit ground and the sage ..
    F*CK!!!! are you kidding me I MISSED?! COMPLETELY??
    She trotted off just fine, watched her for a half mile. Then she jumped a fence and grazed a little.

I .. can not believe it.

Got home and set up my target, put a 3 arrow group in 1/2" so I have no idea what happened. Musta screwed up something. estimate of range or pitch or my ability or something.
    Damn. Any thing at all in the arrows path? Possible it hit a tiny twig which threw off the arrow's flight? You ranged with a rangefinder that has angle compensation?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Welp, looks like I'll be out for rifle opener with all the other yahoos. Kinda thinking of sleeping out Friday night in the field to try to get a jump Saturday AM.
    I will be one of the yahoos on Saturday, but will be in a bivouac on Friday night. Bear spray and not soaking your sleeping bag in bacon grease should keep you safe. Yesterday I saw elk tracks in the snow at ~8,000 feet so a few are still high.

Collective advice needed:
    Work told me today that I have more PTO to burn before 12/1 rollover than expected (nice, but shafting me out of 4 days for the next calendar year). Regardless, I'm planning on using those three days to hunt waterfowl. Do I stay close and just wait for bad weather and hunt SLC? I have a buddy up in Idaho Falls area who says the hunting's been real good, do a day or two up there? Drive somewhere else up north and hope for the best rolling solo? Could theoretically hunt Wednesday-Sunday somewhere, any weekend between now and the 22nd weekend of November.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Why not get out of dodge one last time before winter really kicks in?

Just got back from one desert trip, doing another halloween weekend, so trying to optimize my duck hunts before ski season.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Damn. Any thing at all in the arrows path? Possible it hit a tiny twig which threw off the arrow's flight? You ranged with a rangefinder that has angle compensation?
    Clear shot, minus the snow, wind maybe at my back.
    Replaying .. she was maybe closer. I just checked, it was 15deg down. I sighted posts at maybe 35. Found the arrow today, def a clean miss. Best guess I shot high.

edit to add: Being the nerd I am, I recreated the shot at home. Found that my 20yd post was 3" over point of aim in these conditions. So my 30 post musta been over her back.
    And .. I blew it.

Got til sunday, maybe she'll be back.
    Last edited by MiddleOfNight; 10-21-2019 at 02:25 PM.

Dawn in the Avon Valley. Thank goodness help has arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    Clear shot, minus the snow, wind maybe at my back.
    Replaying .. she was maybe closer. I just checked, it was 15deg down. I sighted posts at maybe 35. Found the arrow today, def a clean miss. Best guess I shot high.

edit to add: Being the nerd I am, I recreated the shot at home. Found that my 20yd post was 3" over point of aim in these conditions. So my 30 post musta been over her back.
    And .. I blew it.

Got til sunday, maybe she'll be back.
    Does your rangefinder account for angle?

Looks like opener is gonna be pretty damn stormy. Was potentially gonna bivy out tonight, but I'm not that much of a masochist I don't think. Hope the pressure actually pushes some animals back up in elevation. Early snow/cold seems all the herds are already formed down on the private/ag land below 6k feet. This is gonna be tough.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Shot my buck this weekend up around 9k feet. We call him Too Tall Jones or Uprights because he was a massive body with a very tall 4x4 rack, but very narrow and awkward. I'd post pics but I'm on mobile and I can't.

Either way, stoked to fill the freezer and move on to birds!
    Rev, let's see that buck!?

Got my bivy all ready to go, it's gonna be rough. Good luck pumpkin army!

Last hurrah for big game tomorrow morning, looking for a buck, then duck season really takes over. Been pretty slow on the wasatch front for ducks, just waiting for some more weather!

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Got my bivy all ready to go, it's gonna be rough. Good luck pumpkin army!

That looks brutal. Thoughts and prayers coming your way.