Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    Very cool story! I've been there, your account took me back :-)

You can do the euro mount yourself really cheap/easy - I posted a 'euro mount TR' a couple pages back in this thread. Look me up if you want a hand or more in-depth details. Rewarding.

Sending that part out is highly recommended. I've tanned a number of them. Both hair on and off, and it's the most fun project I'll never do again (except for the two i'm doing this week. And all the rest going forward, sigh).
    I was going to do it myself but realized I probably didn't have the space (apartment) and didn't want to mess it up with one that's so special to me. I'll probably give it a shot in the future when I have the room to do it and feel like I can afford to mess up... I appreciate your offer of info and will hit you up when the time comes. Thanks!
    "...no hobby should either seek or need rational justification. To find reasons why it is useful or beneficial converts it at once from an avocation into an industry, lowers it at once to the ignominious category of an exercise undertaken for health, power or profit."
    -Aldo Leopold

Nice 6x6 elk bull Fly & Ski! What is your opinion of your Vortex binocular case?

I have run several bino carry systems and have settled on the Marsupial Gear. Like it better than the Vortex, which i believe is still being made by AGC their Kodiak Cub model. Really you can’t go wrong with any of the various options, just comes down to personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    I have run several bino carry systems and have settled on the Marsupial Gear. Like it better than the Vortex, which i believe is still being made by AGC their Kodiak Cub model. Really you can’t go wrong with any of the various options, just comes down to personal preference.
    Thanks! My preference is not spending $100 on a binocular case like KIUI which are supposed to be good but not worth a Benjamin to me.

FHF. But still expensive.

Which one of you got this one?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

^^Now that's the kind of stuff that gives hunters a bad name.

Today I saw a truck with an ATV in the bed, with a huge bull rack strapped to the ATV, cruising down the highway. But the rack was not strapped downward like you'd think, it was actually up in the air like a mount. I had to give him props, it looked awesome in my rear view mirror. Friggin huge rack, that guy scored this morning.

I like my Badlands bino case with the magnetic closure. I modified it to fit on my pack belt because I don't like them on my chest. Attached my bear spray holster to the bino case with zip ties so it's right out front and does not need to be unholstered to spray. Works for me.

Speaking of Badlands...buddy of mine has a teenage kid who's a hardcore hunter. Somebody put a rock through his truck window and stole all his hunting gear (minus his gun, which was in the house). Lots of his stuff was Badlands--bino case, gloves, backpack, etc.. He posted something on Badlands social media about the theft, along with a picture of his truck window. Couple days later a big box of replacement gear showed up at his house, all free, courtesy of Badlands. I thought that was pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    FHF. But still expensive.
    That was a very close second for me.

Still have a deer tag I won't fill this season, but don't drive around with a carcass on the roof.
    Quote Originally Posted by BC13 View Post
    Which one of you got this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    Still have a deer tag I won't fill this season, but don't drive around with a carcass on the roof.
    My wife was driving and said "is that a deer on top of the SUV passing us?". Gave me a chance to explain rigor mortise, gutting a deer and bleeding the deer to my eleven year olds. Their reaction was probably better than half the people he drove by on I 90.

I have to say I got a good laugh out of it, and don't blame the driver for not wanting to get a bunch of ticks in his vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    Nice 6x6 elk bull Fly & Ski! What is your opinion of your Vortex binocular case?
    Thanks!

I like it well enough but have found that my smallish 8x42 glasses don't quite take up enough space in the pouch to tension the little elastic band that's supposed to keep it closed. As a result I've had my binos fall out a few times and dangle by the straps when bending over. A minor inconvenience but kind of annoying. Slightly larger binos probably wouldn't have this issue.
    "...no hobby should either seek or need rational justification. To find reasons why it is useful or beneficial converts it at once from an avocation into an industry, lowers it at once to the ignominious category of an exercise undertaken for health, power or profit."
    -Aldo Leopold

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Thank god for shoulder season. If spikes were legal I would be eating backstraps or loins right now. Was fun watching this solo dude kicking the snow and grazing for 10 minutes from 80 yards away. Fresh tracks, perfect wind, etc.....little dinky rack on top messed the whole thing up lol.

Quote Originally Posted by flyandski365 View Post
    Thanks!

I like it well enough but have found that my smallish 8x42 glasses don't quite take up enough space in the pouch to tension the little elastic band that's supposed to keep it closed. As a result I've had my binos fall out a few times and dangle by the straps when bending over. A minor inconvenience but kind of annoying. Slightly larger binos probably wouldn't have this issue.
    After some of the reviews in this thread on bino cases, the Badlands XR, though $$$$, looks like the best choice for me for binoculars and rangefinder. Thanks to all for sharing their thoughts.

Why must I feel like that, why must I chase the cat?
    Nuthin' but the dog in me. George Clinton

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    The only issue I had with the Marsupial was the magnetic closure. If you aren't careful it can be pretty loud if it snaps shut. Other than that I loved it. Running a AGC Kodiak Cub right now and really like it but the material inside can squeak when I pull my binos out. Ok for elk hunting, not so much for whitetails.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

can relate.

Missed one at 275yds yesterday. Haven't had the "buck" fever like that in a long long time. No chance for a second shot since she immediately spun around behind trees while the rest of the herd just watched. Thought for SURE it was a good hit. No blood anywhere within 150yds. Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    No blood anywhere within 150yds. Damn.
    Better a clean miss. You are going to connect with the way you have been getting out there.

Got lost in the fog a bit on my way in to the spot. Realized I was probably in a better spot, which proved to be accurate. All drake limit in 3 hrs, lots of competition near by but I think I was in a little safe zone for them. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E9A1E86E-5A3A-4ACC-A893-763A1C6EBDD1.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	360.9 KB 
ID:	305202

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

I did not have the same luck as you on the last day of season in wisconsin. Shot 2 goldeneye and a ringneck but it was a cold morning, especially my left leg

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Lol! That sucks man.
    Nice work Phall! All our birds left last week. Damn ghost town up here right now. Need a big Alberta clipper to replenish us. Never seen it this slow this time of the year.

Missed one at 60-70 yds today. Straight up goof. I had a very small window between trees. Maybe 12 x 12 inches. Such a close shot and I forgot that my scope was set high at such a short distance. Right over her back. Gone.

Found them again a few hours later and the wind/snow/fog was bad and couldn't get a clean shot. Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Missed one at 60-70 yds today. Straight up goof. I had a very small window between trees. Maybe 12 x 12 inches. Such a close shot and I forgot that my scope was set high at such a short distance. Right over her back. Gone.

Found them again a few hours later and the wind/snow/fog was bad and couldn't get a clean shot. Doh!
    We're you dialed to a longer distance via turret or sighted-in at a longer distance?

Wondered that as well.