Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    solid. Rotate is all sorts of messed up. I usually end up tagging all the birds we shoot and doing them all myself as my buddies dont enjoy it. Its no fun but done right the reward is worth it.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    Weird. No, I've never had any problems at all like that with the 336. It cycles all the LEVERevolution, first to last, without a hitch.

I'm just spitballing here, but I'm guessing that if your Marlin hangs on the last round in the mag (or even if it cycles blunt, flat, and hollowpoint nose cartridges fine but catches on the last Hornady round, since they're a little longer), then maybe the problem is with your magazine spring?
    Not sure if it is the spring as a fully loaded magazine cycles easily with blunt rounds and others except for the last Hornady round. Solution: load one blunt first and the rest of the magazine with the Hornady ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by mcove View Post
    Got out for maybe the last day of the season. Scratched together 13 between the three of us. Lots of pairs and singles flying around, not a lot of big flocks. Also, this spot is normally swarming with geese around 10-11am and we didn't have a single one come in range. Shot a Redhead Drake and a Pintail Drake, both firsts for me in this area of CO.
    Remembered how much I hate plucking ducks, told my buddy I would rather butcher a deer than pluck 13 ducks again
    Attachment 310902
    edit: Fucking Rotate?
    Solid stack of birds

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    solid. Rotate is all sorts of messed up. I usually end up tagging all the birds we shoot and doing them all myself as my buddies dont enjoy it. Its no fun but done right the reward is worth it.
    Heck yeah, fat mallards are totally worth it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0276.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	558.0 KB 
ID:	311157

Slow day in the swamp last fall, dead calm.
    Why must I feel like that, why must I chase the cat?
    Nuthin' but the dog in me. George Clinton

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Finally got it done. Empty freezer was enough to skip a pow day. Good hunting weather. 200-225 yds. Rangefinder wouldn't work in all the blowing snow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200202_172203_774.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	313636

Hell yeah dude!!! Congrats!

She’s gonna eat great. I got the “afield” book from Jesse Griffith’s for Christmas so if anyone wants some recipe screenshots, let me know! Let’s keep this thread rolling with recipes and pics of meals.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

So we gutted her whole and dragged her down the hill to the truck. One shot was perfect and one was a little back. I think I tainted the inner loins. I cut them out just now and rinsed them off, but I think they got some nasty juices on them. I just seared three little rounds in the cast iron. Not good. Hopefully that's all I fucked up?

She’s gonna eat great. I got the “afield” book from Jesse Griffith’s
    Congrats on the hunt!
    Go here and use Hank's recipes and buy his books (buck buck moose is great) - He won't lead you wrong

Oh yeah, got buck buck and the Meateater cookbook, and afield. All are A+

Well I rinsed out the cavity really well and dried it out with a bunch of paper towels. It's 20 degrees outside and the carcass is in the back of my truck under the topper with all the windows opened for airflow. Wedged a board in between the ribs to make sure it stays open all night. Not sure there is anything else I can do.

Perseverance paid off! Congratulations on getting the tag filled.

She’s gonna eat great. I got the “afield” book from Jesse Griffith’s for Christmas so if anyone wants some recipe screenshots, let me know! Let’s keep this thread rolling with recipes and pics of meals.

Nice work!

I recommend people buy Jesse's book on principal. It's a great cook book AND what Jesse is doing for hunting is very important. I'm going on a hog hunt with him in April and can't stop thinking about the dinner to follow!

Congrats dood. 20 is more then enough for a little aging. The inners on that thing are so small that even if you blew out the cavity, it's not a lot of loss. I always alaskan and bone out and hang the bags, but I've never had an opportunity to drag an elk to a truck and hang. Although I have butchered others' who've been old/had help.

Cool to see a long chapter come to a happy ending.

I was gonna take to the butcher tomorrow, but my gut tells me to hang in the garage for a while.

Always assumed I would quarter/debone and be somewhere way out in the woods, but I got to hunt some private and it was all downhill to the truck so gutted > tobogganed through the snow.

Only problem is that the with my work schedule and the butchers hours I don't know when I will be able to get the animal there. Gonna be nice and cold for the foreseeable future though.

Congrats on finally whacking one.
    Check the hind quarters in the am first thing. They hold heat for a long time with the hide on.

If you have the time and space, process that thing yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I was gonna take to the butcher tomorrow, but my gut tells me to hang in the garage for a while.

Always assumed I would quarter/debone and be somewhere way out in the woods, but I got to hunt some private and it was all downhill to the truck so gutted > tobogganed through the snow.

Only problem is that the with my work schedule and the butchers hours I don't know when I will be able to get the animal there. Gonna be nice and cold for the foreseeable future though.
    Patarero is right, Hinds will hold the most heat and are susceptible to bone sour but I wouldn't think that would be an issue this time of year.
    Biggest thing is to keep it out of the sun if you can. If temps are anywhere 25-40 you will be fine. I hung the whitetail I shot on new years for 10 days in my garage and everything was in great shape. Temps fluctuated from 30-40.

As long as you rinsed the cavity out you will be fine as far as stomach matter tainting the rest of the meat. You ever look into butchering yourself?

Who are you using to process that elk? I have had good luck with Bridger Mtn Meats in Belgrade, but they may not be taking any more carcasses this season. Finding a processor that has high cleanliness standards is key.

I've cut up deer myself, but just don't have the time really this year. Buddy who I was hunting with is gonna throw in on butcher for some meat.

I heard Happel's doesn't take new customers?

I figure its slow enough now that Yellowstone will be just fine, no?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

First off, don't think twice about butchering it yourself. Plenty of youtube videos out there. It's easier than you think.

Second, if it all tastes bad, that's just more spicy, smokey summer sausage in your freezer, no worries.

Third, if it doesn't all taste bad, and you don't already have one, a quality meat grinder is a great investment. Working with a LEM #8 big bite and couldn't be happier. Most everyone and every book will recommend cutting in some pork fat for game burger, but we've been going 100% venison, partly to experiment and partly for more healthier burgers, and we're not missing the pork fat.

Fourth, sounds like you have some time based on temps in your garage and your stated preference of hanging for while. If you do that, take a look at the recommended books. It may change the way you butcher it.

Fifth, if I had concerns about meat quality based on shot placement, I'd butcher sooner than later, but that's just me. In any event, a 2" medium-rare pan seared backstrap fillet with nothing but salt and pepper will tell you everything you want to know about the innate flavor.

Sixth, seems like a vast majority who offer advice on filleting fish or butchering game meat are very ANTI water. If I thought I shot something that got "nasty juices" on the meat, I'd be using quite a bit of water and then making sure to dry quickly and thoroughly afterward.

P.S. echo Patarero on hindquarters and heat.

Way to go fish show!

I figure its slow enough now that Yellowstone will be just fine, no?
    I was planning to use Yellowstone next year if I tag out again. Please let me know your experience with them. Bridger changed their sausage policy and doesn't offer the variety as the past. Yes I could butcher myself but don't have the space or time.

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    I was planning to use Yellowstone next year if I tag out again. Please let me know your experience with them. Bridger changed their sausage policy and doesn't offer the variety as the past. Yes I could butcher myself but don't have the space or time.
    I drove over to Bridger this AM and despite there being 4 guys inside cutting they told me they weren't accepting any more elk this year. Um, ok.

Drove over to Yellowstone and really liked the vibe. The couple who are the owners were super nice. Got alot of breakfast sausage and snack sticks since I can trade for ground beef from my hunting buddy who bought a 1/4 beef this year.