Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Just discovered the Twitter feed for Rigging Specialties

https://twitter.com/RIGGINGYYC

Lots of eye candy.
    Those guys really get around.

Just in. A letter to the editor in The Squamish Chief newspaper.

https://www.squamishchief.com/opinio...ge-1.23922901?

From someone self identified as "a mechanical engineer with 40-plus years specifying, designing, maintaining, and inspecting lifting equipment, including occasional forensic investigations."

As a mechanical engineer with 40-plus years specifying, designing, maintaining, and inspecting lifting equipment, including occasional forensic investigations, it amazes me that anyone could come up with such a quick conclusion that the rope may have been cut.

In fact, none of the evidence presented thus far would lead me in that direction.

Statements like the large diameter, or the mass per metre do not in any way point to sabotage.
    So, let’s not jump to conclusions about sabotage. Yes, continue that investigation, but please also look for what else could have caused it, since there are many other potential causes; the most likely would be a hidden defect in the rope itself. (This is why ropes used for lifting equipment often have a factor of safety of five or more, and even higher for elevator duty). Fatigue, jammed counter-weight, quality assurance, quality control, temperature changes, and design all need to be considered before a definitive conclusion can be reached.
    Being the sleuth that I clearly am, I peeped the pages of said expert.

https://fi2engineering.com/dfrykberg.html

Is he for real or is he just trolling me!

Quick! Can the dirty hands here please set him straight!

notice said expert says nothing about WIND.

So, let’s not jump to conclusions about sabotage. Yes, continue that investigation, but please also look for what else could have caused it, since there are many other potential causes; the most likely would be a hidden defect in the rope itself. (This is why ropes used for lifting equipment often have a factor of safety of five or more, and even higher for elevator duty). Fatigue, jammed counter-weight, quality assurance, quality control, temperature changes, and design all need to be considered before a definitive conclusion can be reached.

The only question left in my mind is why did PureGravity sabotage the Squamish Gondola?

Given that the general public has not seen the evidence, there is no way to guess whether the appraisal of sabotage was premature or correct.

There could be some used disks and Makita batteries laying at the base of the tower where the occurance happened.

Quote Originally Posted by stayhighstaydry View Post
    notice said expert says nothing about WIND.
    Nor sharks with lasers.

I wouldn't be surprised if the letter writer didn't participate in the apartheid South African militarization of sharks which has been well documented.

re. that letter to the editor...

Kirby Brown The Squamish Chief The Editor does not publish every letter and uses their judgement to filter what they see as relevant for publication. To fuel speculation and present this letter as an experts opinion is clearly the editors choice in this matter. The RCMP have both cut ends of the rope and other confirming evidence that your reporting staff are aware of. Our Millwrights, Doppelmayr and other ropeway experts have had those cut ends in their hands. You cannot wash your hands of causing concern and confusion with your blanket statement above. This is irresponsible on your part Editor. I won’t comment further but, Squamish, know that you can trust me completely when I repeat; the line was cut through intentionally. Kirby Brown, General Manager of Sea to Sky Gondola (and very proud to be so).

Fucking Facts!
    Ruin a poor theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Fucking Facts!
    Ruin a poor theory.
    Occam's Razor

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    Occam's Razor
    if we apply Hitchen's razor,

going further with the sabotage affirmation,

is there a history of controversy, opposition, vandalism over this gondola ?

Occam's Razor
    Quote Originally Posted by EssjaywhyNZ View Post
    if we apply Hitchen's razor
    Don't forget Godwin's law.

I'm pretty sure Hitler cut that cable.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Don't forget Godwin's law.

I'm pretty sure Hitler cut that cable.
    nazi flying sharks, with fricken laser beams attached to their heads

fine, i did it. i admit it.

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    Just discovered the Twitter feed for Rigging Specialties

https://twitter.com/RIGGINGYYC

Lots of eye candy.
    Those guys really get around.
    NTTAWWT
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

nazi flying sharks, with fricken laser beams attached to their heads
    Nazi sharks, cutting that cable with occam's razor and hitchen's razor. Those razors are sharp.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

The Kicking Horse gondola was built in 2000. As per Kicking Horse rope replacement - https://twitter.com/RIGGINGYYC/statu...50741253996544

A few questions:

So then, would that have been the first time the rope was replaced in 19 years? Or would it have been done before?

After how many years or hours of service is a typical gondola system haul rope replaced?

Is there a limit to the number of hours/cycles a rope can be used in ski lift operations, or is it done when a specific set of wear criteria has been reached?

Just Stop!
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

prob a bot^

or a tool box.

same.

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    The Kicking Horse gondola was built in 2000. As per Kicking Horse rope replacement - https://twitter.com/RIGGINGYYC/statu...50741253996544

A few questions:

So then, would that have been the first time the rope was replaced in 19 years? Or would it have been done before?

After how many years or hours of service is a typical gondola system haul rope replaced?

Is there a limit to the number of hours/cycles a rope can be used in ski lift operations, or is it done when a specific set of wear criteria has been reached?
    I think they have repair manuals and maintenance schedules and weird stuff like that
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

i'm just trying to get into canada, i admit it.

ted, just admit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Just Stop!
    Until then, more interesting news

October 2009 - Steamboat Gondola haul rope replaced for 2nd time in 2 years

for the second time in two years, contractors are hustling to install a new 60-ton gondola haul rope at the ski area.
    did not expect to supervise installation of a new gondola rope for another 15 years or more. Crews at the ski area went through the process in November and December 2007 when they replaced the original rope after 20 years of service.
    However, Allen said, problems with the new rope were apparent from the beginning.

“We’ve had vibration issues ever since it was replaced,” he said. “The passengers in the cabins would not notice these vibrations ...
    After two years of consultation with independent experts and negotiations with the manufacturer, Allen said, it has been determined that a subtle variation in the shape of the 2007 braided steel rope contributed to the vibration problems.
    “We didn’t see rapid sheave liner wear, but long term, you could expect it would add to fatigue,”
    The rope was manufactured by the Fatzer ... concluded that the difference between the lay of the 2007 rope and the original rope accounted for the undesirable vibration.
    The variation in the lay of the 2007 rope didn’t allow the pairs of sheaves, or wheels, at each gondola tower to absorb the energy that can cause vibration.
    “The lay of the (2007) rope was such that it pushed the sheaves down simultaneously,” Allen said. “All that energy was going right into the axle.”

I find that really interesting, that the lay of the rope could actually create other problems on the lift towers, with the axles on the sheaves.

December 2007 - The original replacement is mentioned here, as a need to fix a grip-rope issue from the original splice causing alarms to sound:

Significantly, the need to replace Steamboat’s gondola haul rope arose this fall because of irregularities in the original rope resulting from the “loose ends” that were tucked back into the old rope during installation 21 years ago.

Steamboat Vice President of Mountain Operations Doug Allen said the irregularities in the old rope did not create a safety issue but did cause “operational hassles.”

The loose wire strands that had been tucked back into the old rope had shifted over time. When one of the gondola cars happened to clamp onto one of the irregularities, it set off a safety alert. That required the gondola to be backed into the gondola building so the car could be re-attached at a different point on the rope. During the 2006-07 ski season, those events happened as often as three times a day.

I want some of that pure sweet cocaine that PG has. Otherwise I have nothing else to add.

now i'm really afraid. thank you so much for all this updated information. i will be following this and posting to all my social media accounts your fascinating work.

please pm me your direct information so i can continue to help in these matters

thank you so much for this insightful insight, very incredible work on you team's part.

again thank you and blessed to see this updated information.

Flamingo-pink powder, baby.

It it amusing to observe the effort going into his engineering dabble.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    i'm just trying to get into canada, i admit it.

ted, just admit it.

So you think Ted Bundy was involved too? Interesting... perhaps he was behind the grassy knoll with Ted Cruz' father.