Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    so...... you only got half a brain? what happened to the other half?
    Read too many puregravity posts.

RCMP said it was vandalism but I'm convinced by puregravity's charts that this is a false flag operation.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    I face the "this has never happened before!" incredulity in my line of work all the time - ie "this can't be happening because it's not happened before!"

Always makes me shake my head and wonder why people didn't learn this lesson as a child. New things happen all the time. Things are happening right now that have never happened before. There is a first time for everything. Am I blowing your mind?

"I thought the Sea To Sky gondola was very well received and liked. I'm actually surprised that people think someone dislikes it *that* much."

You're "actually surprised"? As opposed to fake surprised? Honest question - how much did you know about this gondola before the cable was cut and it hit the news?
    Well, I remember the news in 2014 when it was about to open. A little story first ...

I didn't ride the Peak To Peak until then because when I was in my 30's, I became a bit of a worry-wart on lifts. Long story, but for no really particular reason lifts started to give me jitters when I was about 35 years old. Before then, I'd ride the peak chairs up in the Adirondacks till close in ANY conditions alone or with people. I remember the fun of catching the last lift up Whiteface with my Glen Plake edition K2s years ago in -25 c blowing wind. I used to dig that!

I used to be fearless but became a lot more cautious then. I honestly don't know what changed in me. Maybe getting older makes people more risk averse. My wife - she could not have a care in the world. If it wasn't for her, I probably would have never got on the Peak To Peak. Now, I ride it without any fear.

Now, my dad, he isn't risk averse about anything. Being a PhD in sciences and also a computer scientist, he is quite logical about things. Surprise to me ... when I toured them around Whistler, my mom came and rode all the summer lifts with me, even almost peed her pants on the Peak chair. LOL. But dad, he didn't ride any lifts and enjoyed the lake walks instead. He just didn't feel good about riding the lifts, he said. He's not afraid of heights. Just rather avoid them for some fear he'd rather not voice.

Now, 2014. I don't have any opinions or persuasions about the Sea to Sky project. I didn't actually think it would work out as a business idea. It seemed a marketing long shot. After all, who would want to ride up a mountain side and look at typically rainy weather and non-descript mountains??? Why not just go all the way to Whistler?

But anyways, Feb 2014 the lift had a car fall off and then later a report was issued. I read the entire report back then. It was linked in the Whistler Pique update about the project. FYI - I am always fascinated by mechanics and stuff. When I was a kid I took everything apart, including designing mechanical system. For example, variable valve timing systems for 4 stroke motors. My younger brother has some patents on newfangled overhead conveyor designs. It must be a family DNA thing to be fascinated by stuff like that.

I digress. Back to 2014.
    I read the report:

BRITISH COLUMBIA SAFETY AUTHORITY INVESTIGATION REPORT
    SEA TO SKY GONDOLA INCIDENT
    February 4, 2014
    Report No.: RPT-5095-00

https://imgur.com/a/qeK7jfH

I love diagrams and information like that. I gobble up stuff like that. Reports with actual observations and engineering facts, about real news in the media - that stuff really fascinates me!

I went on the Sea To Sky gondola for the first time in June of this year with my wife and out of town guests. We all had fun. I noticed a few things (see my initial posts in this thread about jiggly cars) but otherwise I felt comforted and safe. I was really glad that I challenged my fears and went on it.

My wife and I are now season pass holders. I anticipated using the lift for hiking, snowshoeing, maybe back country skiing, and also maybe just to sit in the cafe up top to do my work from home using the internet.

Yes - I am surprised. Not only surprised that someone might do such a thing, and that everyone thinks of the world like that, but surprised too that the media hasn't asked many critical questions.
    Last edited by puregravity; 08-22-2019 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Seems like you're assuming there's a linear relationship between the load bearing capacity and rope diameter, but the chart you posted shows this isn't true. For example a 1/2" diameter rope breaks at 21,400, but a 1" diameter rope breaks at 83,600.
    Right. But if your 1" rope is made from 6 cables, spiral wound, around a non-load supporting core, and you cut through 1/2 of the cables, you will have 3 cable left and 1/2 the load bearing capacity.

I guess it depends on what is meant by '2/3 the way through'. Does that mean straight across, until 0.66" of the diameter remains on one side (much less than 1/3 of the actual cables that make up the rope). Or does it mean, 1/3 of the rope steel area remains?

Cross-sectional area is pi times the radius squared (A = π r²). Unless cored. Then the area is less the area of the core.

Isn't the breaking strength of a rope linear with the cross-sectional area of actual load bearing materials?

He meant cutting 2/3's of the thickness, speaking in laymens' terms, none of that inside bullshit jargon that nobody understands.

So spiral would mean you'd have maybe 1/8th of your original wires left. Roughly.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    so...... you only got half a brain? what happened to the other half?
    When he cut that cable, it snapped back and wiped out half.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    For those waiting for a press release, I think you have already got it. RCMP have stated they are working with THE industry experts.
    So they’ve brought in puregravity. Gotcha.

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    I've been a crypto skeptic since day one. I've always said that crypto is 95% scamming, always has been a bad idea, always has been faulty idea (blockchain), and rigged #rigged. I've always said that - pretty much what Warren Buffet and many other credible experts have said.

Why don't you come over to the Bitcoin thread and show me the ones you consider 'not plausible at all.' I'm really curious now! 'Not one made any sense' You got me. I'm really curious to see what doesn't make any sense to you.
    bitcoin is a scam

We already got a thread fer that argument.......

This is the thread where we watch puregravity try to throw the cops off his trail with misdirection and obfuscation.

Right. But if your 1" rope is made from 6 cables, spiral wound, around a non-load supporting core, and you cut through 1/2 of the cables, you will have 3 cable left and 1/2 the load bearing capacity.
    No, you won't. With a complete wire rope, the load is distributed evenly across all the strands. start to cut it, and suddenly it is not.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    No, you won't. With a complete wire rope, the load is distributed evenly across all the strands. start to cut it, and suddenly it is not.
    What are the implications of that?

What are the implications of that?
    Shit falls apart. Quickly.

The RCMP are typically very reluctant to say anything about an investigation - and it would be embarrassing for them to have to walk back their "this is a crime scene" statement. And I don't think the RCMP cares about the owners of the gondola and protecting their business interests by floating a false story.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Shit falls apart.
    I believe that was the working title of the well known Chinua Achebe novel.

^^^ Snicker.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Shit falls apart. Quickly.
    And making very loud noises each time a wire snaps. Might sound like gunshots, for instance.

And each strand contracts and unravels back up the rope when cut, with enough force to break bones

And each of those six “strands” is made up of somewhere between seven and 50 individual wires. That’s a lot of wires to contract, unravel and whack the yahoo trying to cut the rope with a torch or grinder

If this was sabotage I wanna know how they did it without dying

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Too many options to list. Odds they picked the right one do seem kinda long, though.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    And each strand contracts and unravels back up the rope when cut, with enough force to break bones

And each of those six “strands” is made up of somewhere between seven and 50 individual wires. That’s a lot of wires to contract, unravel and whack the yahoo trying to cut the rope with a torch or grinder

Add to that the uncertainty of where along the rope the remaining strands might break, according to some other comments online:

Name:  lzeTOKp.png
Views: 1041
Size:  46.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    It's been almost a decade since I've worked lifts, but I don't believe checking the haul line was a specific task in our morning checklists.
    This. Chair 4 at Purgatory was an old 2-person, center pole Riblet (I think) and I used to watch for the splice all the time when I was bumping chairs. That thing was a bucket of bolts but I learned some cool stuff from the mechanics.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Add to that the uncertainty of where along the rope the remaining strands might break, according to some other comments online:

Name:  lzeTOKp.png
Views: 1041
Size:  46.3 KB
    Evidence from Reddit? Well, I'm convinced!

Whats todays theory?
    watch out for snakes

Yo, PureGravity wtf? You still Going on about the wind etc when the police told us it was vandalism, like 4 days ago.

Sent from my SM-N960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Whats todays theory?
    Nanobots
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

alien squirrels with laser eyes and acid saliva