Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    My money is on porcupines.
    Those assholes are super destructive. I would not put it past them.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    rumour mill is saying angle grinder, a tower mid span where it trends back down so rope went either direction from tower, and allegedly some very useless video was taken from afar...security apparently heard something happening and then watched it collapse
    That’s an awful lot of destruction to be perpetrated by a $100 tool.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Name:  ytMQJr8.png
Views: 1148
Size:  42.8 KB

RCMP is saying that it happened at 4 AM. On most nights at 4 AM, the weather data shows that things are very calm in Squamish Spit. However, this Saturday AM, even though the weather meter at PAM Rocks shows nothing, some localized wind hit Squamish Terminals and Squamish Spit. It came in 3 growing exponential pulses.

Name:  mzgjUHZ.png
Views: 1173
Size:  154.0 KB

I find this hard to ignore. I checked back a few days, then months, and then years to the first time they had a potential deropement incident and a cabin fall as a result of wind. Here is that day:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dEAsfcZ.png 
Views:	133 
Size:	158.4 KB 
ID:	291038

I've pasted a few more here: https://imgur.com/a/ruQ2KjT

As per said theory in this post, https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...27#post5732127 , it just might be plausible that something weather related happened that was much more powerful up the gondola line, something that caused a chain reaction or that could not be compensated by a tensioning system and possibly exacerbated by the steep grade and tower distances.

Of course, only Sea To Sky gondola people have their own tower wind readings. Only they know how the cars were actually parked that night. But unless the RCMP says more, or they have some definitive proof, i.e. not just repeating the same 'no wind, suspected vandalism' over and over, it seems more logical to use Hanlon's razor.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    ~Hanlon's Razor.

I get it. Things like this don't happen. I get it.
    I also look at the car swing clearance in the diagram ... and it gives me the willies.
    I'd love to see the wind data they have from the gondola line over the last few years. It might be surprising given the mountain topography there.
    There really isn't much wind speed difference between the day time they lost a car and the time of this event.
    It is just 40 - 50 km/h vs 30 - 40 km/h. In the mountains, based on local winds, it may have been all the same. On the ground, at Squamish Terminals and Squamish Spit, there is just a 10 km/h difference.
    Squamish Spit isn't a windsurfing and kiteboarding destination for no reason. It is dam windy there.

PG, just curious, but, why the boner over this? Perhaps we should just wait a day or two for more info to be released..

He’s feeling guilty..... trying to throw dudley do-right off his trail.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    PG, just curious, but, why the boner over this? Perhaps we should just wait a day or two for more info to be released..
    Americans are all conspiracy theorists eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Gondola cable snaps

55mm is slightly over 2”, it wouldn’t take a huge amount of effort with a cordless tool and the right blade, metal cutting saws these days are fairly impressive
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

yes a battery powered 4" angle grinder available from any hard ware store

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    that is pretty fucked up. You think it was an environmental group? And they must know how it was cut by the cable. I am sure they wont disclose that.
    Ya know, kinda hope they don't...no use publishing terrorist manifestos in the arena which we recreate, eh?
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Perhaps we should just wait a day or two for more info to be released..
    Where’s the fun in that?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    yes a battery powered 4" angle grinder available from any hard ware store
    I cannot imagine somebody standing over a 2” haul rope under load, cutting it with an angle grinder.
    Has RCMP looked around in the tree canopy for some clothes and a Pulpy body with at least one limb missing?

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Where’s the fun in that?

I cannot imagine somebody standing over a 2” haul rope under load, cutting it with an angle grinder.
    Has RCMP looked around in the tree canopy for some clothes and a Pulpy body with at least one limb missing?
    Follow the crows. Sounds like a sky burial

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    I find this hard to ignore.
    You're grasping at straws here. 40 kph wind ain't gonna cause something like this. You can see from the graph it wasn't even close to the strongest wind in that 24 hour period. I can appreciate the sleuthing, but I really don't think wind caused this.

If a gondola fails in a 25mph wind because of said same wind, somebody has some ‘splanin to do b

If you have a lot of patience...

Name:  IMG_1324.JPG
Views: 1018
Size:  22.8 KB

You're grasping at straws here. 40 kph wind ain't gonna cause something like this. You can see from the graph it wasn't even close to the strongest wind in that 24 hour period. I can appreciate the sleuthing, but I really don't think wind caused this.
    Well, you can see the two wind graphs and read the 2014 report (I posted a link). That shows the actual winds at both times and it shows the mechanism by which deropement is possible and also the mechanism that actually caused a grip to collide and get ripped off the wire, damaging the wire in the process. The lift has been running for 5 years under those conditions, cabins swinging wildly every windy night, because they don't park them in a shed them at night. I don't know how the cars are aligned with towers when parked for the night. Maybe there is a method. Maybe it is random.

However, if cars are parked adjacent to the "Haul Rope Catcher Device", see https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...27#post5732127, then I don't see why damage couldn't be an ongoing happening since there are so many wind events in Howe Sound and on that mountainside. The tested 16.4 degrees after which the haul rope was observed to move out of alignment on the sheaves, and which also almost made contact between the "Gondola Grip Torsion Tube" (assumed to be aluminum cased) is something that seems worth looking at.

There are incidents where haul ropes are not retained by catcher devices. See: https://www.technicalsafetybc.ca/cas...2009-june-2016

I AM GRASPING AT STRAWS - that's what armchair quarterbacks do!!! I just think that is more productive than the current myopic obsession with probable vandalism.

The operator, RCMP and media seem to have latched onto the malice motive ... and assuming that the investigators do the same thing, they might not find the real cause if it was something else. I fear that ANY rush to conclude the affair and shortcut or curtail a THOROUGH investigation is not in the interest of safety.

Incidents like these need to be approached without bias as to the cause.
    So .. IF NOT vandalism, THEN what?
    That is where my imagination likes to explore.
    To BE CLEAR - I AM NOT AN ENGINEER,
    MY RAMBLINGS DO NOT CONSTITUTE BLAME OR PROFESSIONAL OPINION.
    Last edited by puregravity; 08-13-2019 at 12:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    Ya know, kinda hope they don't...no use publishing terrorist manifestos in the arena which we recreate, eh?
    Agreed. I can think of more ways to do this in relative safety and/or ease than I can count on both hands. No use publishing them, either. Methods are plentiful, it's willing fucktards that are (hopefully) in short supply.

I've been part of a few cable splices over the years. Wire rope is easy to cut with a grinder. Standing on a tower and cutting it under load would be terrifying.

Gondola cable snaps

See his long persistent history of posts in the bitcoin thread and this will make more sense.

A cable cut by a grinder, or a torch or anything will be easily identifiable and very different from a cable failing under stress, according to a expert witness mechanical engineer I talked to today. He said they would be able to tell the difference at a glance, and determine the exact mechanism and blade type, heat source, etc with investigative tools.

Also, while it isn’t advisable, isn’t standing right at the fail point of a cable under tension, theoretically and relatively, a safe place to be? The cable is going to go in either direction for at least a little bit before it starts whipping sideways. I’m not saying it’s safe, but I’d take the immediate break point over 1 ft to the left or right. (I didn’t ask the engineer that question, that uneducated opinion is all mine)

https://youtu.be/LRKN8DCYyrE

Crazy video of aircraft carrier wire breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post

Also, while it isn’t advisable, isn’t standing right at the fail point of a cable under tension, theoretically and relatively, a safe place to be? The cable is going to go in either direction for at least a little bit before it starts whipping sideways. I’m not saying it’s safe, but I’d take the immediate break point over 1 ft to the left or right. (I didn’t ask the engineer that question, that uneducated opinion is all mine)
    Although there's also the uncut side of the rope on the other side of the tower, which seems like it has the potential to do weird things.

Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    For sure - and once it starts to really fail, you just duck and cover your head like a turtle and listen for the chaos to happen. We also can't assume whoever did such a thing is also smart enough to weigh the risks and take safety seriously.

I hope they figure out who did this, such crazy story.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    meme
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...30#post5731730