Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Wait - why do you think this thing broke all by itself and wasn't deliberately cut like the police are saying again?

The biggest clue you're missing as to how this happened is that the RCMP have said it was intentional and there is a criminal investigation happening.
    That's not what they said. They said they are treating this as a criminal investigation until such a time as a cause is determined.

This is what they said: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...70#post5737270

Do people really believe that the RCMP can 'arrive on scene at 8:30',
    hike up a mountain, or drive up the access FSR and hike 1/2 way down,
    and then look at a rope carnage scene,
    with their expert gondola ropeway engineering and investigative prowess,
    and withing 1 or 2 hours of just arriving on scene,
    come to a determine that a criminal act occurred,
    and not some engineering/operating accident?

Call me a skeptic, but the police are well known for failed criminal investigations based on investigators trusting their intuition and not analyzing data.

In incidents receiving a lot of media coverage, the police and other investigating organizations are often fixated on the initial suspects and either overestimate or underestimate the probability that events are related and connected.

If the police somewhere have a limited scope formed by a narrative promoted by some operator, they might miss a lot of important clues.

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    What do you think?
    you're a paranoid idiot with a fresh bottle of Ritalin

+1

Something else besides a cable has snapped.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    You see, by adding the 10 newly-forged gondolas to the cable, the total weight of the entire system was thrown out of balance. The great gondola lift of Squamish had now become too powerful in it's ability to transport even the heaviest North American up the mountainside. And when the system was thrown off balance, the great spirit of the lift became poisoned. Our Mother Earth sensed this great upsetting of the cables, and thus gathered storm clouds from across the ocean to it's shore. Upon that night, a great front brewed in opposition against this machination of man. The wind rushed forth onto the mountain, and the fury of the heavens wrought destruction along the mountainside. With one final burst, the steel cables that had borne many a-traveler came crashing down. Sounds of destruction echoed across the valley, and to the people of Squamish it was audible evidence that something terrible had happened on that fateful night.

Amen.
    Beers and a campfire...and this guy story telling. Would be good.

That's not what they said. They said they are treating this as a criminal investigation until such a time as a cause is determined.

This is what they said: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...70#post5737270

Do people really believe that the RCMP can 'arrive on scene at 8:30',
    hike up a mountain, or drive up the access FSR and hike 1/2 way down,
    and then look at a rope carnage scene,
    with their expert gondola ropeway engineering and investigative prowess,
    and withing 1 or 2 hours of just arriving on scene,
    come to a determine that a criminal act occurred,
    and not some engineering/operating accident?

Call me a skeptic, but the police are well known for failed criminal investigations based on investigators trusting their intuition and not analyzing data.

In incidents receiving a lot of media coverage, the police and other investigating organizations are often fixated on the initial suspects and either overestimate or underestimate the probability that events are related and connected.

If the police somewhere have a limited scope formed by a narrative promoted by some operator, they might miss a lot of important clues.

What do you think?
    Well, I think the RCMP saying the act was deliberate means that it is extremely likely that it was.... deliberate.

This is, like, the police of Canada. The RCMP isn't your average run-of-the-mill municipal group of donut munchers. They're kinda legit. When they say something, it has a tendency to be true.

Who knows how they got to the actual scene? Maybe they've heard of ATV's, or some other form of quick transportation through the coastal forests and mountains. They could have even worked with the owners of the S2S Gondola to figure out the fastest way to get up there. If they say something, I lean towards believing them first rather than instant skepticism. Welcome to Canada, I guess.

^^^ wait a minute. Are you saying pg isn't a local?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    ^^^ wait a minute. Are you saying pg isn't a local?
    Just guessing.... location says "south of 49" + suspected prescription drug addiction + inherent distrust of police = obvious 'murican?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just guessing.... location says "south of 49" + suspected prescription drug addiction + inherent distrust of police = obvious 'murican?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    But he does use the metric system...

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 555
Size:  13.7 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Well, I think the RCMP saying the act was deliberate means that it is extremely likely that it was.... deliberate.

This is, like, the police of Canada. The RCMP isn't your average run-of-the-mill municipal group of donut munchers. They're kinda legit. When they say something, it has a tendency to be true.

Who knows how they got to the actual scene? Maybe they've heard of ATV's, or some other form of quick transportation through the coastal forests and mountains. They could have even worked with the owners of the S2S Gondola to figure out the fastest way to get up there. If they say something, I lean towards believing them first rather than instant skepticism. Welcome to Canada, I guess.
    have they invented helicopters in Canucistan yet?

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    have they invented helicopters in Canucistan yet?
    Those whirly birds are for the devil.

It took so long to get to the incident site because the sled dogs were sleeping in.

[(35.30394Km/hour)/s]=[(35000.94m/3600s)/s]=9.8m/s*2=acceleration due to gravity at or near the surface of the earth

You know they hit a Timmy Horton's on the way in..

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Knocker View Post
    [(35.30394Km/hour)/s]=[(35000.94m/3600s)/s]=9.8m/s*2=acceleration due to gravity at or near the surface of the earth
    Yes. I know.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Yes. I know.

You would, everybody else is a moron.

If somebody doesn't realize how easy it is to tell whether a cable has been cut vs unraveled/failed, just stop talking to that person.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    You know they hit a Timmy Horton's on the way in..
    Roll Up the Rim to Wind.
    Wind.
    Get it?

Latest rumour--

Laser Cutter, mill rights fired it up at 430 and it came down.
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Clues may be found by looking at the broader issue of cables breaking in other industries.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...875-story.html

But was it a big, thick, healthy beautiful rope?
    Wire rope used for hoisting and cranes is not the same as a haul rope on a lift but hey keep the entertainment rolling
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Wire rope used for hoisting and cranes is not the same as a haul rope on a lift but hey keep the entertainment rolling
    The linked article doesn't mention which crane rope failed. In all my years of working with cranes I have never heard of a boom hoist rope breaking. Hoist ropes have only failed when a two-block occured, and even then the becket was the failure.

Chokers fail, but that is almost always because of heat, poor rigging or ignoring chokers which are clearly worn out.

Cable logging fails wire rope regularly, but that is almost clearly abuse or ignoring a problem. I have never heard of a skyline failing.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Farcisimus View Post
    Latest rumour--

Laser Cutter, mill rights fired it up at 430 and it came down.
    the rumour I heard was millright and security standing at bottom hearing the cutting reverberating through cable wondering what was happening and then it collapsed, but either of these rumours is way more plausible than anything rattling around it puregravity's tinfoil hat!

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    the rumour I heard was millright and security standing at bottom hearing the cutting reverberating through cable wondering what was happening and then it collapsed, but either of these rumours is way more plausible than anything rattling around it puregravity's tinfoil hat!
    So a 2" plastic cored steel rope,
    under 75,000 lbs tension,
    over 7 or 8 or 9 towers
    with sheaves assemblies
    with 50+ rubberized wheels till the bull wheel house,
    with gondola cars on the rope
    makes a sound that is distinctive,
    and noticeable as a grinder,
    at 4 AM when a wind event is happening,
    rustling a mountain full of trees,
    and probably swinging the cars on the rope too.

Some agency security guard sitting in a security car on the edge of the base lodge can hear that?

at 4 AM when a wind event is happening
    Would you stop with this "wind event" nonsense?

Some agency security guard sitting in a security car on the edge of the base lodge can hear that?
    When you're a highly trained security professional, it's what you are trained to listen for. Don't be an idiot.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang