Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    at 4 AM when a wind event is happening
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Would you stop with this "wind event" nonsense?
    Everybody farts in their sleep. puregravity just does it promptly at 4 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Knocker View Post
    The linked article doesn't mention which crane rope failed. In all my years of working with cranes I have never heard of a boom hoist rope breaking. Hoist ropes have only failed when a two-block occured, and even then the becket was the failure.

Chokers fail, but that is almost always because of heat, poor rigging or ignoring chokers which are clearly worn out.

Cable logging fails wire rope regularly, but that is almost clearly abuse or ignoring a problem. I have never heard of a skyline failing.
    Similar here. 15+ years around big cranes. The hoist line doesn't fail unless there is an extreme issue or a massive amount of outright neglect and damage. Rigging fails. Outriggers fail. Drums fail. Piledriving and drilling breaks 3/4" wire rope chokers like it's going out of style, but that is expected and even then you see the choker is clearly breaking down before it snaps. Main line fail? No.

And snoqpass, the best I can tell the difference between crane rope and lift rope is the core material. Crane rope has a steel wire core, lift rope has a synthetic core. This would make some sense as a lift rope has a lot more motion and clamping happening directly to the rope than a crane rope, so the steel core wouldn't be suitable for lifts as the wires surrounding it need more freedom to flex and move. Also that LA times article was from 1996 and even back then they couldn't remember an accident like that happening in 10 years.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

It's probably from one of PG's links, but I got the impression that the synthetic core is also there to ensure that damage from flexing and contact stress between the core and the wires is less than between the wires and sheaves since the outside can be inspected and the inside cannot. But would that be different from crane cables in some way?

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    It's probably from one of PG's links, but I got the impression that the synthetic core is also there to ensure that damage from flexing and contact stress between the core and the wires is less than between the wires and sheaves since the outside can be inspected and the inside cannot. But would that be different from crane cables in some way?
    Well, lift ropes do a lot more flexing in a lot of different ways, but crane ropes are wound around a smaller diameter drum. I think it has more to do with clamping of the chair/gondola grip. The main difference is the synthetic core would give the wires more flex around the grips on the chair/gondola as they move across the sheaves and around the bullwheel. The clamping force on the rope as it moves through the sheaves seems like that needs a more malleable core than another steel wire, as this could create internal wear on the rope. Cranes don't have ANYTHING clamping to the rope except the termination on the ball or block, and that part of the rope never sees any motion so it is ok.

And that is correct, you cannot reasonably inspect the core of a wire rope. If you're counting on the core as your strength in a wire rope though, you're in for trouble. The core is the last thing that sees damage. If the core is damaged, you missed seeing the damage on the outer wires last week. The rest of the rope is armor for the core, and the exterior of the core sees more flex and bending than the core.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Well, I think the RCMP saying the act was deliberate means that it is extremely likely that it was.... deliberate.

This is, like, the police of Canada. The RCMP isn't your average run-of-the-mill municipal group of donut munchers. They're kinda legit. When they say something, it has a tendency to be true.

Who knows how they got to the actual scene? Maybe they've heard of ATV's, or some other form of quick transportation through the coastal forests and mountains. They could have even worked with the owners of the S2S Gondola to figure out the fastest way to get up there. If they say something, I lean towards believing them first rather than instant skepticism. Welcome to Canada, I guess.
    The RCMP has had a lot of staff turnover in the Sea To Sky region. They might only get new recruits and/or ones that need to be relocated. Even the skookum woman in the video, she is new to the region as Constable. I wouldn't go too far with the 'Police of Canada' bit. In BC, cities with the wherewithall make their own Popo. Where the Popo can't be grown, it is imported a-la RCMP. It is not like the FBI. The RCMP are the 'white label' 'national no-name' 'discount' force. All of Canada's big cities have their own Popo. That's not to say they are good or better than municipal popo. It is just a fact that when finances allow, cities usually move on to a City or Municipal boundary region managed Popo.

Unless the officer climbing the lift towers with a giant magnifying glass also carried a scientific instrument microscope,
    well, I guess that's what they did. Cause we all know they can tell a wire break from a wire cut by looking at the wire ends
    VERY
    CLOSELY

PG, what strain do you smoke? I need to know so I can avoid that shit like the plague. Woah.

An expert on wire rope, metallurgy, meteorology, cyber currency and now the politics and hiring practices of Canadian police forces.

Dunning-Kruger much?

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    PG, what strain do you smoke? I need to know so I can avoid that shit like the plague. Woah.
    Conspiracy Kush?

Squamish's Sea to Sky Gondola asks public to stay away from closed trails
    https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/2...y-squamish-bc/

Squamish RCMP Const. Ashley McKay confirmed they received a report of people in the area of the gondola. In an email, she said the area surrounding the gondola was no longer considered a crime scene as of Aug. 10 at 8:45 p.m.
    How is it that it was not considered a crime scene the evening of the same day the incident happened?

Are investigators that thorough, that fast?

The problem is, there is a trail that goes under the cableway as a thoroughfare to the higher alpine, no?

Maybe someone here knows why people would be there.

troll...

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Knocker View Post
    The linked article doesn't mention which crane rope failed. In all my years of working with cranes I have never heard of a boom hoist rope breaking. Hoist ropes have only failed when a two-block occured, and even then the becket was the failure.

Chokers fail, but that is almost always because of heat, poor rigging or ignoring chokers which are clearly worn out.

Cable logging fails wire rope regularly, but that is almost clearly abuse or ignoring a problem. I have never heard of a skyline failing.

Are all rope fails reported or only those where a death or injury is involved?

Where does someone find objective facts about the number and type of industry rope fails every year?

As per https://www.iti.com/blog/wire-rope-f...field-services:

Unfortunately, many phone calls into ITI Field Services begins this way, “We have had an incident with a wire rope and we believe the rope failed. How do we determine the cause of failure?”

Fortunately, the calls come in because wire rope users want to determine cause of failure in an effort to improve their crane, rigging and lifting activities.

Wire rope examination is just one of the many services that is offered by ITI Field Services. ITI has some of the most highly-regarded subject-matter experts in the crane and rigging industry with experience in performance evaluations, litigation, accident investigations, manual development and critical lift planning reviews.

Admittedly, I don't know very much about lifts and rigging other than what is available on the internet, and from Safety Authority incident reports (lots available online), and from people like yourself that have worked in the field in some related capacity.

However, from the many companies claiming to be rope forensic experts, offering services to determine the cause of rope failures, IT WOULD SEEM that there is enough customers that need to find out what happened and how to prevent it.

I haven't ever seen a deropement or chairlift problem, first hand. To my surprise, there are LOTS of incidents in just BC alone on the BC Safety Authority website for passenger ropeways
    - all sorts of stuff that seems unimaginable.

Even cracked lift towers - the crossbeams and the big long tubes that hold them.
    Even oil that doesn't flow to gearboxes on cold winter days due to viscosity, causing complete gearbox drive failure at major resorts.
    Even detachable grips that tested OK on leaving the BullWheelHouseThingy ... and yet totally failed by sliding on the rope even though they were empty.

I'm just armchair quarterbacking. But your point about cranes, where are the objective facts?

jesus...

PG. when your done with your investigation here can you take a look at the Building 7 collapse @ WTC on 9/11?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Just guessing.... location says "south of 49" + suspected prescription drug addiction + inherent distrust of police = obvious 'murican?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I figured he was a transplant, and hadn't changed his location. (plus a lot of Canada is south of 49, but obviously not Squamish)

I guess I'm just having a hard time understanding why he cares about this so much if he doesn't have a horse in this race.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    PG. when your done with your investigation here can you take a look at the Building 7 collapse @ WTC on 9/11?

lol, that should take us all the way to ski season.

Admittedly, I don't know very much about lifts and rigging other than what is available on the internet...
    No shit. And yet...

...I'm just armchair quarterbacking

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    troll...
    Really?
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Are all rope fails reported or only those where a death or injury is involved?

Where does someone find objective facts about the number and type of industry rope fails every year?

As per https://www.iti.com/blog/wire-rope-f...field-services:

Admittedly, I don't know very much about lifts and rigging other than what is available on the internet, and from Safety Authority incident reports (lots available online), and from people like yourself that have worked in the field in some related capacity.

However, from the many companies claiming to be rope forensic experts, offering services to determine the cause of rope failures, IT WOULD SEEM that there is enough customers that need to find out what happened and how to prevent it.

I haven't ever seen a deropement or chairlift problem, first hand. To my surprise, there are LOTS of incidents in just BC alone on the BC Safety Authority website for passenger ropeways
    - all sorts of stuff that seems unimaginable.

Even cracked lift towers - the crossbeams and the big long tubes that hold them.
    Even oil that doesn't flow to gearboxes on cold winter days due to viscosity, causing complete gearbox drive failure at major resorts.
    Even detachable grips that tested OK on leaving the BullWheelHouseThingy ... and yet totally failed by sliding on the rope even though they were empty.

I'm just armchair quarterbacking. But your point about cranes, where are the objective facts?
    Some of us have real world experience
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0503.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	185.1 KB 
ID:	291977
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Some of us have real world experience
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0503.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	185.1 KB 
ID:	291977
    So you are part of the conspiracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    When you're a highly trained security professional, it's what you are trained to listen for. Don't be an idiot.
    Probably a minimum wage dude who was high at 4am.

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    So you are part of the conspiracy.
    Im only here because somebody said there would be tacos
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Maybe someone here knows why people would be there.
    Um, they want to see the wrecked gondola? That would be my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Um, they want to see the wrecked gondola? That would be my guess.
    Either that or they wanted to get good seats for the next Wind Event™.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post

...thread drift...

someone should, but not PG, office fires, yeah right...

More big problems at the gondola site
    Attached Images Attached Images