Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Gondola cable snaps

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...naps-1.5242787

it was a fairly new lift the cable snapped at 4am while closed so nobody hurt
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

"We just did our maintenance on the line very recently and it was a big, thick, beautiful healthy rope." s2s GM

Christ. Now I’ll have this in my head on the peak to peak.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

so I'm thinking that lift was not that old, It would have been inspected BUT they did just add 10 gondola's in may

vandalism?

It could be vandalism but I haven't heard of any issues with protestors or anything like that

a lot of climbers were camped there and heard it fail/fall,

One of my worse nightmares
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Whoa! Glad no body was hurt.
    watch out for snakes

Gondola cable snaps

“The cable is 55 millimetres in diameter and is made up of six strands. It regularly transports several tonnes”

Canadians...

snapping on it’s own when not in use?.?.?.??

Gondola cable snaps

The link now says “deliberately cut”

So someone sat there with an acetylene torch or grinder and cut the thing.... The possibility of that cable whipping and caving you face in as it snaps...

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

That would be some impressive sabotage. I don't think you could just go up with some 36" bolt cutters and cut through that cable.

They're now convinced it was cut.

Remember 2 Elk and the ELF, hmmm?

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    That would be some impressive sabotage. I don't think you could just go up with some 36" bolt cutters and cut through that cable.
    two cordless sawzalls with high end blades one guy cuts down one guy cuts up six inches apart or less get halfway or three quarters of the way through and it pops just don't want to be standing there when it pops or they will find your head in one place and your body in another

Pretty ballsy monkey wrenching for someone to get at something like this with an angle grinder and skinny wheel.

Sure as hell wouldn't volunteer to cut a big cable under tension. Even if the ends of the cable pulled away cleanly the cutting tool could get flung back hard. The cable supports would move a bit too.

Wonder if there is a brown stain for DNA analysis

Have there been any other lifts vandalized apart from the La Grave gondola?

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    They're now convinced it was cut.
    Based on what?

“There’s no evidence of a rock slide and all the towers are intact,” said Brown.”

“So it’s not that. We’ve seen both ends of the cable now from the top and from the bottom where it pulled apart, or broke, or was cut, and that’s what we need to figure out — how that could have happened.”
    Photos show the wire tail intact at the base area. So any break was higher up. It would take someone really ballsy to pull that off and then get off the mountain undetected.

Sounds to me like they don't have a clue and are just grasping in hope that it was sabotage. Because if it wasn't, then that is the 2nd at-fault incident they have had ... and insurance probably doesn't cover user-error.

Photos of tail end of cable:
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...naps-1.5242787

Triance said RCMP investigators are working with multiple investigators on the ground including WorkSafeBC and Technical Safety BC, an independent organization that oversees heavy equipment in the province.

"[The experts] know the difference between a compromised cable and something that would be cut deliberately," Triance said.

She said in order to access the cable, the perpetrator could have hiked the trail underneath the gondola and climbed up one of the maintenance poles on the route, which have ladders attached.

"They put themselves in extreme jeopardy, not only the nature of the action of climbing up that pole and being in that position … but also the velocity at which the cable would unravel at that point," she said.

well if it was cut on purpose at least we know it didnt happen at random so we can feel better about riding on a lift

Squamish is no stranger to monkey wrenching, google a group called direct action and the squamish 5

Photos seem to show that the cable parted somewhere between the top tower and the bottom station.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sea-to-sky-gondola-crash.jpg 
Views:	419 
Size:	157.5 KB 
ID:	290822

https://twitter.com/lithohedron/stat...056583/photo/1 shows the other tail of the cable hanging down the cliff.

How on earth do you cut the cable mid-span at night?

They probably stayed up there over night and cut the cable when there was enough light to get away

I don't remember if there were trails up there that would allow you to get out any other way but down the trail to the base

Whoops, misinterpreted that twitter photo. Thought I was looking at both sides of the haul cable. Now think the one hanging down the cliff was the uncut side of the haul cable and the other one in the air is the communications cable.
    Last edited by nickinbc; 08-10-2019 at 07:05 PM.

Gondola cable snaps

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/beta.ctv...1_4544269.html

Sabotage says the RCMP’s preliminary investigation. Holy sh*t. Things are about to get very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    https://www.google.ca/amp/s/beta.ctv...1_4544269.html

Sabotage says the RCMP’s preliminary investigation. Holy sh*t. Things are about to get very interesting.

Squamish RCMP Const. Ashley MacKay told reporters Saturday afternoon that there did not appear to be any natural factors that could have led to the collapse.

"There appears to be no environmental mechanism for the reason," MacKay said. "As such, we believe that the cable was cut."
    RCMP don't have a clue. They wouldn't know what 'environmental mechanism' to look for ... or if natural factors could have played a role.

One thing I noticed, the one time I rode that lift, was that it had a lot of cabin rotation due to wind. Not up down or left right, but clockwise/counter-clockwise looking at the floor/ceiling. Now picture a cabin, dangling, and putting repeated periodic motions like that, in the winter, in the summer, with all the freeze-thaw conditions that happen right at that location, with winds coming up Howe Sound that possibly carry salty-mist in the air, with ice and salt possibly getting in between the strands in hard to detect way. Possible? I think so.

The wind up that cliff face is so strong it could probably send those cabins aloft if they weren't attached by a grip. There is some serious wind-speed going on in that area. It is a favorite area used by kite-boarders.

From this photo and the video in this news report, it looks like the cable snapped somewhere between the base station and first tower on the route up ... or one of the first few towers.

The one time I rode it, the cabins just seemed to be very light - light weight. It didn't feel as sturdy as the Blackcomb cabins. I could be wrong ... maybe they are all the same. I noticed the little axial rotations when anyone moved even slightly in the cabin in a way I never noticed at Whistler.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/sea-to-sky-gon...tion-1.4544269

Name:  K16hppN.png
Views: 6300
Size:  335.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    RCMP don't have a clue. They wouldn't know what 'environmental mechanism' to look for ... or if natural factors could have played a role.

One thing I noticed, the one time I rode that lift, was that it had a lot of cabin rotation due to wind. Not up down or left right, but clockwise/counter-clockwise looking at the floor/ceiling. Now picture a cabin, dangling, and putting repeated periodic motions like that, in the winter, in the summer, with all the freeze-thaw conditions that happen right at that location, with winds coming up Howe Sound that possibly carry salty-mist in the air, with ice and salt possibly getting in between the strands in hard to detect way. Possible? I think so.

The wind up that cliff face is so strong it could probably send those cabins aloft if they weren't attached by a grip. There is some serious wind-speed going on in that area. It is a favorite area used by kite-boarders.

From this photo and the video in this news report, it looks like the cable snapped somewhere between the base station and first tower on the route up ... or one of the first few towers.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/sea-to-sky-gon...tion-1.4544269

Name:  K16hppN.png
Views: 6300
Size:  335.7 KB
    So a non sabotage scenario is possible in your mind?

I had heard that the gondola was profoundly unpopular in certain circles. Any Squamish area locals cate to comment on that?