Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    The rope comes apart the same way it went together. Anyone who thinks they know how to cut it should ponder that for a while.

For those waiting for a press release, I think you have already got it. RCMP have stated they are working with THE industry experts, and they are able to easily tell the difference between a cable that has been cut and one that failed due to other causes, and this one was cut.

If you are wanting to see pictures of the cut ends for yourself, I don’t think that’s likely to happen any time soon. I expect those have been removed from the cable and put into evidence boxes. It’s standard procedure not to reveal evidence while an investigation is still in progress. Maybe you’ll get to see that when the case goes to trial, if that ever happens.

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    $17M per year.
    Gross.

It cost $25M (or more) to build. Plus operating costs. Plus insurance (that just went way up). Plus the tenure to the province (it is public land, no?). Plus a major hit to the public perception of safety (which already had one black eye).

The operation might have been in the black, but this is still a disaster for them.

Add in all the lost revenues to local businesses who relied on traffic associated with that gondola operation..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    This is in conflict with the table you posted earlier. 2/3 of 2" is 4/3", so only 2/3" remaining wire. Your table says this will snap around 40 kips as opposed to 320 for the 2" rope.
    Oh snap!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    This is in conflict with the table you posted earlier. 2/3 of 2" is 4/3", so only 2/3" remaining wire. Your table says this will snap around 40 kips as opposed to 320 for the 2" rope.
    I'm just quoting the rigging company expert. If he says that only 1/3rd of the rope remains, and it will probably break on its own from there, then it was only built to 3 times breaking strength (from that point of view).

“Probably cut two-thirds and it’ll snap,” he said.

Which makes sense to me because if "solid plastic core surrounded by six strands" and cut 2/3rds the way through, then only 2 strands remain.
    If 2 strands is not enough to hold the load, then obviously 6 strands is not meant to hold 8 times the load.

Probably I'm missing something or maybe the rigging expert is wrong.

The fibre/plastic core is much smaller in a smaller rope. In the cut rope, the core remains a constant. So that chart doesn't apply to the theory of what a cut would do to the strength.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post

I think it's also worth considering the possibility that the saboteur chose not to sever the cable, assuming that weakening it substantially would cause the next full loading or weather event to trigger a failure. I hope that's not the case, because it's even more terrifying, leaving in play the possibility that the saboteur was hoping to cause injuries or death, but if we're throwing out wild conjecture, I'd add that possibility to the list.
    *Shudder*

I've always wondered how closely haul ropes are inspected on a daily basis. Does someone stand at the bullwheel and give it a rudimentary once-over before loading customers, or is it more like "well, the rope's still up there...load em up?"

Quote Originally Posted by river59 View Post
    *Shudder*

I've always wondered how closely haul ropes are inspected on a daily basis. Does someone stand at the bullwheel and give it a rudimentary once-over before loading customers, or is it more like "well, the rope's still up there...load em up?"
    Depends on how many lifties slept-in after Friday night out.
    Tuesday - all good.
    Friday - Ha ha Suckers!

It's been almost a decade since I've worked lifts, but I don't believe checking the haul line was a specific task in our morning checklists.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    The rope comes apart the same way it went together. Anyone who thinks they know how to cut it should ponder that for a while.
    ^^^
    Bump.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...extreme-danger

I thought the Sea To Sky gondola was very well received and liked. I'm actually surprised that people think someone dislikes it *that* much. Globally, there has to be similar installations, in areas with poor policing, in areas with much more zealous opponents, that still have never had such an incident to a cable system.

Reaching for the malice conclusion isn't going to pan-out probabilitywise any more likely than the chance that a bonafide cable/system issue occurred.
    There was actually a significant opposition to it when it was first proposed as the original proposal went right up the chief. The current route was opposed by many as it involved a change to the park boundary. There are also groups that feel the Stawamus is sacred and shouldn't be trod upon by just any yahoo for just any purpose.

I'm just quoting the rigging company expert. If he says that only 1/3rd of the rope remains, and it will probably break on its own from there, then it was only built to 3 times breaking strength (from that point of view).
    Seems like you're assuming there's a linear relationship between the load bearing capacity and rope diameter, but the chart you posted shows this isn't true. For example a 1/2" diameter rope breaks at 21,400, but a 1" diameter rope breaks at 83,600.

pi(d/2)^2 - it's related to cross section area. The core messes with that somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by snoboy View Post
    pi(d/2)^2 - it's related to cross section area. The core messes with that somewhat.
    As will the interstitial voids in each rope, especially since the strands of a 1" rope will probably have greater sized strands.

“Probably cut two-thirds and it’ll snap,” he said.

Which makes sense to me because if "solid plastic core surrounded by six strands" and cut 2/3rds the way through, then only 2 strands remain.
    If 2 strands is not enough to hold the load, then obviously 6 strands is not meant to hold 8 times the load.

Probably I'm missing something or maybe the rigging expert is wrong.
    Yes you’re correct, you clearly have nofuckingclue how a factor or safety works.

In as much as it is rare to have a cable break, it is just as rare to have one vandalised.
    Of the known ropeway incidents world-wide, covering also very popular ropeway tourism venues, it is just as rare to have someone choose to cut the cable.

I thought the Sea To Sky gondola was very well received and liked. I'm actually surprised that people think someone dislikes it *that* much.

Globally, there has to be similar installations, in areas with poor policing, in areas with much more zealous opponents, that still have never had such an incident to a cable system.

I face the "this has never happened before!" incredulity in my line of work all the time - ie "this can't be happening because it's not happened before!"

Always makes me shake my head and wonder why people didn't learn this lesson as a child. New things happen all the time. Things are happening right now that have never happened before. There is a first time for everything. Am I blowing your mind?

"I thought the Sea To Sky gondola was very well received and liked. I'm actually surprised that people think someone dislikes it *that* much."

You're "actually surprised"? As opposed to fake surprised? Honest question - how much did you know about this gondola before the cable was cut and it hit the news?

Care to elaborate?
    I'd like to see the ones you claim to have such an opinion of.
    Please.
    Can't remember ever making fun of, or stereotyping, autistic people.
    I'd hate to say that others make asshole comments when I do the same.
    Not that I'm incapable of such.
    maybe your posts were more of a conspiracy theory and wild assumptions, than assholeish. not one made any sense and is not plausible at all. you would know that if you knew about lift maintenance and operation

I first assumed you were trying to be sarcastic and funny, but it doesn't read that way

eco terrorism is a multi national industry. And the PNW is an ANTIFA cesspool.

https://snowbrains.com/authorities-d...ft-in-andorra/

*Shudder*

In the "olden days" lift ops were required to inspect the splice every day. Paying attention to the haul rope and chair spacing, (by the paint on the haul rope) was another task assigned to lift ops. These were all fixed chairs, whereas detachable lifts have some of these tasks automated.

Haul ropes just don't break, they are arguably the strongest component on the lift. Plus they get replaced on a set schedule

Quote Originally Posted by stayhighstaydry View Post
    eco terrorism is a multi national industry. And the PNW is an ANTIFA cesspool.

https://snowbrains.com/authorities-d...ft-in-andorra/
    The PNW wouldn't need checks and balances like ANTIFA, if it weren't for "shithole groups" like Patriot Prayer.
    IMO, they all need to go away

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    It's been almost a decade since I've worked lifts, but I don't believe checking the haul line was a specific task in our morning checklists.
    Lift maintenance took that task over when detachables came on the scene

*Shudder*

The lift mechanics around here havr daily inspections
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    maybe your posts were more of a conspiracy theory and wild assumptions, than assholeish. not one made any sense and is not plausible at all. you would know that if you knew about lift maintenance and operation

I first assumed you were trying to be sarcastic and funny, but it doesn't read that way
    I've been a crypto skeptic since day one. I've always said that crypto is 95% scamming, always has been a bad idea, always has been faulty idea (blockchain), and rigged #rigged. I've always said that - pretty much what Warren Buffet and many other credible experts have said.

Why don't you come over to the Bitcoin thread and show me the ones you consider 'not plausible at all.' I'm really curious now! 'Not one made any sense' You got me. I'm really curious to see what doesn't make any sense to you.

FWIW - I just cut a 1" 6 strand solid steel core cable with an electric chop saw in approximately 16 seconds.

I have nothing else to add to this discussion other than it's not hard to cut a cable with the right tools and half a brain.

so...... you only got half a brain? what happened to the other half?