Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    But this one doesn't take skiers, which is exactly what makes it a useless eyesore in the first place.
    I don't know. Rigging a lift up a mountain for skiing = OK, rigging a lift up a mountain for sightseeing ≠ OK seems like an untenable position to me.

Not to mention it's not really an eyesore at all. It's less intrusive than your typical hydro cut.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Not to mention it's not really an eyesore at all. It's less intrusive than your typical hydro cut.
    I agree, although I'm sure that's debatable.

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    I don't think this has been floated yet: What if the attraction really is a cash cow and and the sabotage was done by someone that is actually wanting them (1 or both partners) to sell? That would mean that the act was done by a professional. Motive: money.

There won't be another tourist attraction like this allowed in Squamish for the next 50 years. So why not try and scoop this one up somehow? Assuming it is as successful as they say it is, this is a solid and super-easy income stream. The present value adjusted for future earning must be huge.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_theory

Psychologists attribute finding a conspiracy where there is none to a mental phenomenon called illusory pattern perception.[15][16]

Historically, conspiracy theories have been closely linked to prejudice, witch hunts, wars, and genocides.
    tl;dr: Just stop.

But this one doesn't take skiers, which is exactly what makes it a useless eyesore in the first place.
    News to me. Not to mention just the kind of attitude that justifies closing bike trails, backcountry access and all those things that you think are important but others don’t.

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    I'm still on the wind theory.
    Name:  41NEFN9KDGL.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  24.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    News to me. Not to mention just the kind of attitude that justifies closing bike trails, backcountry access and all those things that you think are important but others don’t.
    Eh. This is an obvious commerical play in previously undeveloped wilderness. One can simultaneously be pro maintaining existing development while decrying new exploitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Westcoaster View Post
    Eh. This is an obvious commerical play in previously undeveloped wilderness. One can simultaneously be pro maintaining existing development while decrying new exploitation.
    uhhh, undeveloped wilderness, eh? the Shannon Basin has been extensively logged, some of it maybe even twice.

been going up the sea to sky for > 50 yars " previously undeveloped wilderness" was much previous to now, its at least backyard for Vangroovy if not the bedroom

i've hiked Stawamish chief a number of times back in the day, I think the last time might have been nice weatehr and no crowds so mrs XXX-er & I got busy in some bush at the top of the chief,

i'm betting its too busy to get busy up thar nowdays
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    been going up the sea to sky for > 50 yars " previously undeveloped wilderness" was much previous to now, its at least backyard for Vangroovy if not the bedroom

i've hiked Stawamish chief a number of times back in the day, I think the last time might have been nice weatehr and no crowds so mrs XXX-er & I got busy in some bush at the top of the chief,

You should go and get busy near the S2S gondi towers and give this new security regime their first good, hard test.

Does that qualify you for the Mile High Club?
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Half-mile high club

I went to Whistler as a kid, a long way lots of dirt roads and there was nothing there

i was in squamish 3 times a week back in the late 70's,

I remember we thought buddy who bought a house in squamish for < 50K and did the commute was crazy nowdays he would be a sharp guy

nowdays its ... Vangroovy's bedroom

yeah the chief is not that high

I remember we thought buddy who bought a house in squamish for < 50K and did the commute was crazy nowdays he would be a sharp guy
    Or he coulda paid a bit more and bought this place and he'd be a much much more sharp guy nowdays.

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...enue-vancouver

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Or he coulda paid a bit more and bought this place and he'd be a much much more sharp guy nowdays.

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...enue-vancouver
    What the?

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I don't know. Rigging a lift up a mountain for skiing = OK, rigging a lift up a mountain for sightseeing ≠ OK seems like an untenable position to me.
    i had no idea one of the side effects of long covid was a dysfunctional sarcasmometer. it has affected many apparently.
    for the most part, change to current views and sightlines is a huge consideration anything built in the touristy environs these days so they tend to be much less visible than previously plus that typically coincides with less winds anyway.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

plus you can't whip the cable out these days or the skwirrels will cut it off if the wind doesn't get it first.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    What the?
    you buy it and then hold out for the developer to buy it from you?

a house on W 43rd in Vangroovy would have always been considered a good location back in the day

while a commute on a dark twisty shitty 2 lane hyway in the rain in the late 80's to a 40k box in Squamish not so much, Squamish was considered too far for the commute

the road is way better now a highway actulay but back then some kids from west van were killed when a chunk of rock fell on a car

that 10 million $ chunk of property is obviously a bulldozer friendly location to build a high rise only 1/2 block to the some of the best shopping in vangroovy fo crazy rich azns
    Last edited by XXX-er; 06-14-2021 at 08:22 PM.

that 10 million $ chunk of property is obviously a bulldozer friendly location to build a high rise only 1/2 block to the some of the best shopping in vangroovy fo crazy rich azns
    It's only a 5,000 sq ft lot, though!

so 5.000 sq feet x how many floors on the high rise.

The sellers are hoping someone needs this house to complete a block of property, like Monopoly. Wouldn't be surprised if someone has already bought several of the houses on this street and the sellers are looking to cash in.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

In the vangroovy market that house has likely been flipped several times and had questionable RE dealings already

notice the similar listings in the bottom of the page are all mansions

so 5.000 sq feet x how many floors on the high rise.
    Nope. It is "How many floors is the basement". Iceberg Homes
    https://vancouversun.com/opinion/col...er-and-toronto
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    The sellers are hoping someone needs this house to complete a block of property, like Monopoly. Wouldn't be surprised if someone has already bought several of the houses on this street and the sellers are looking to cash in.
    Aha. Good point.