Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Is there a pool where we get to pick when it will get cut again?

I give it 9 months after it's up and running again.
    Yep. Just find out which insurance company is backing them this time. Then short their stock the month you think Edward Abbey will return to Squamish.

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    They didn't read the policy before signing it? Are they suing both insurers? Maybe someone can make sense of this.
    I don't understand how the law works where the Queen is involved, but down here in anarchy land,

1. Insurers are required to provide a certain amount of notice in a specific way before terminating/not renewing coverage, and

2. Insurance agents can be held liable if an insured requests specific coverage and the insurance agent agrees but fails to acquire that coverage.

Totally unsurprising that there are lawsuits given the amount of money at issue here. If the thing remains insurable on any level I wouldn't be surprised if its premiums go through the fucking roof and if all insurers decline to provide business interruption or property loss insurance. Seems like a great way for an underwriter to get shit-canned.

“We’ve created something that truly is extraordinary and somewhat unheard of in industries outside of the nuclear space. So we’re prepared as anybody could possibly be, and that I can say with great confidence.”

translate: "If this happens again we're f#*&d."

https://globalnews.ca/news/7943213/s...-june-11-2021/
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

I'm fairly certain the culprit will try again. Hopefully this time whoever it is gets caught.

Might be too hard with updated security ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Might be too hard with updated security ?
    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...ry-hangs-over/

The security "is now more secure than 98 per cent of the Canada-U.S. border."

Isn't 98% of the Canada-US border pretty much open?

All this "new security" doesn't make much sense from a financial perspective. If it happens again wouldn't they close down shop? Would insurance cover another event like this? What are the odds that the current policy excludes another sabotage?

I think the new narrative that a security guard was almost hurt is a smart move. If someone feels that it would prevent future harm to rat out the perp, they just might. If the security was so great last time, they would have released the footage hoping for someone to recognize the person. Even gait is recognizable. If the security guard was "almost killed" (vague at best) last time, then they shouldn't have waited a year to release that info to the public.

They had the smarts this time to build a shed and take the cars off the line at night. That was the smartest thing they have done. Next time it probably won't be at 4 AM. I sincerely hope it isn't when there are people on it.

I'm of two minds. (1) great to persist and keep going in the face of opposition. (2) what a way to say "profits are more important than public safety". They want the money this Ferris wheel brings - even if public safety might be an ongoing concern. In an ideal world, they would ramp up the investigation, go all out soliciting public support, and wait a few years to see if they can find the perp. Getting up and going as fast as possible should be the last concern when public safety might be a real concern going forward. Tough call. Lose lose either way.

I'm still on the wind theory. The design of the system isn't suitable to a windy environment where cabin grip mechanisms can collide with the sheaves mechanism. That hasn't changed. The winds haven't changed. Only hope the system alerts and staff overview prevents a cabin sway tower collision (+deropement) like the one that happened before they officially opened.

Thinking it is a local squirrel (avec lazers) is also an investigative mistake. It could just as easily be someone that crossed the border from south or Alaska. If eco-perp, then could be least associated eco-perp = non-local.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

(2) what a way to say "profits are more important than public safety".
    In what way has public safety been compromised so far?

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Yeah I mean I assume anytime I get on any mechanical lift there is a chance I might not get off safely. Part of the game. We drive cars right?

Benny lift issues not a problem for me either.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

I'm fairly certain the culprit will try again. Hopefully this time whoever it is gets caught.

I dunno, I feel like this a prime of example of "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me." How can it be that there isn't some small part of you rooting for these guys?

They sent a message loud and clear, it fell on deaf ears, they sent it again to the same effect. If it gets sabotaged a third time and they rebuild it, I'll conclude that the bad guys are the operators of the clipjoint tourist attraction, not the people sending a message about an eyesore.

Hopefully next time around they throw in the towel on the stupid tourist attraction and dismantle it.

OMG nuclear space security... it can only be one security guard who can tackle them/him/her down

SLY is gonna hunt them as soon there is some vibration on the cable

edit: he is the suspect too

Isn't 98% of the Canada-US border pretty much open?

5500 miles of unprotected border so we aren't really safe from Americans

fortunatley they can't go anywhere without a car
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Yeah I mean I assume anytime I get on any mechanical lift there is a chance I might not get off safely. Part of the game. We drive cars right?

Benny lift issues not a problem for me either.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Feb 4, 2014 SEA TO SKY GONDOLA INCIDENT REPORT RPT-5095-00
    https://imgur.com/a/qeK7jfH (full report)

The wind was strong out of the North East at 50 km to 70 km. The gondola was operating at 1.5 m/s (slow mode). The warning system was turned off. The only person in a cabin was an observer. They noted strong movement but not concerning enough to stop the system. The winds began to die down after passing tower 4 but as he approached tower 7 the winds picked up again. Then it happened.

The squirrels came out of the forest with lasers. Launched themselves into the air and began swaying the cabin violently.

The cabin had swayed just enough, just enough past 16.4 degrees that the detachable grip torsion tube would impact the sheaves and/or the rope catcher. The 15 mm gap was naught and the cabin ripped off the haul rope and fell 15 meters to the ground. No one was in that cabin.

16.4 degrees and 15mm of clearance.
    Anemometers and preventative software systems.
    People.
    Mix them all together. Bake for 20 minutes.
    Staff turnover. Bake again.
    Serve.

If such a system was designed for a windy environment, this type of calamity would have never happened. If some kids are in the car and start swaying it at the wrong time, with the wrong winds, with the systems or operator not paying attentions, this could happen again.

Name:  djI47xX.png
Views: 1036
Size:  591.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I dunno, I feel like this a prime of example of "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me." How can it be that there isn't some small part of you rooting for these guys?

They sent a message loud and clear, it fell on deaf ears, they sent it again to the same effect. If it gets sabotaged a third time and they rebuild it, I'll conclude that the bad guys are the operators of the clipjoint tourist attraction, not the people sending a message about an eyesore.

Hopefully next time around they throw in the towel on the stupid tourist attraction and dismantle it.
    I really don't understand why you would "root for" these guys. You're a skier, right? What's your beef about this "eyesore" compared to the rest of the ski lifts around the continent? Are you rooting for the cables to be cut at those, too?

edit: Great. Now puregravity is back with his wind shit.

Now puregravity is back with his wind shit.
    LOL. Sorry! I just don't get the logic of operating a gondola system that constantly needs to be slowed down and sped up all the time. Anyone that has enjoyed this ride knows what I am saying. It is a little freaky if they suddenly slow it down when you are on the last steep stretch down. Any given ride, slows down, speeds up, slows down, speeds up. Because they have to by safety order due to the winds and design safety issue. They need an improved design. I won't belabor the point any further.

I won't belabor the point any further.
    Thank you.

LOL. Sorry! I just don't get the logic of operating a gondola system that constantly needs to be slowed down and sped up all the time. Anyone that has enjoyed this ride knows what I am saying. It is a little freaky if they suddenly slow it down when you are on the last steep stretch down. Any given ride, slows down, speeds up, slows down, speeds up. Because they have to by safety order due to the winds and design safety issue. They need an improved design. I won't belabor the point any further.
    Maybe it’s just from skiing mostly in VT but what you describe is pretty normal on windy days when they are trying to keep the lifts open. Sometimes they run slow the whole ride, other times they slow for big gusts and speed back up. Sure beats putting everything on wind hold and shutting down.

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    Thank you.
    No problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Maybe it’s just from skiing mostly in VT but what you describe is pretty normal on windy days when they are trying to keep the lifts open. Sometimes they run slow the whole ride, other times they slow for big gusts and speed back up. Sure beats putting everything on wind hold and shutting down.
    Every day in Squamish is a windy day. And the gondola is never slow - always fast - slow - fast - slow - fast - slow. OK - I'm exaggerating but it happens a lot.

canada. ha.

It is the unknown that is the concern. What they might have done, and gone undetected.
    For example, imagine someone was trying to cut the cable, and got disturbed or spooked, so it was only half done.

Also, there must be serious concern about an inside job, for who knows what motive. What if the lunatic doing this is also one of the fitters or safety people? What would that say about safety inspections etc?

Feb 4, 2014 SEA TO SKY GONDOLA INCIDENT REPORT RPT-5095-00
    https://imgur.com/a/qeK7jfH (full report)

The wind was strong out of the North East at 50 km to 70 km. The gondola was operating at 1.5 m/s (slow mode). The warning system was turned off. The only person in a cabin was an observer. They noted strong movement but not concerning enough to stop the system. The winds began to die down after passing tower 4 but as he approached tower 7 the winds picked up again. Then it happened.

The squirrels came out of the forest with lasers. Launched themselves into the air and began swaying the cabin violently.

The cabin had swayed just enough, just enough past 16.4 degrees that the detachable grip torsion tube would impact the sheaves and/or the rope catcher. The 15 mm gap was naught and the cabin ripped off the haul rope and fell 15 meters to the ground. No one was in that cabin.

16.4 degrees and 15mm of clearance.
    Anemometers and preventative software systems.
    People.
    Mix them all together. Bake for 20 minutes.
    Staff turnover. Bake again.
    Serve.

If such a system was designed for a windy environment, this type of calamity would have never happened. If some kids are in the car and start swaying it at the wrong time, with the wrong winds, with the systems or operator not paying attentions, this could happen again.

Name:  djI47xX.png
Views: 1036
Size:  591.1 KB
    My vote is now that puregravity is our well intentioned silent safety-conscious saboteur. It only makes sense now, he is just trying to save the wider community from a potential tragedy that would come from this poorly designed lift when it inevitably derails from the wind!

I don't think this has been floated yet: What if the attraction really is a cash cow and and the sabotage was done by someone that is actually wanting them (1 or both partners) to sell? That would mean that the act was done by a professional. Motive: money.

There won't be another tourist attraction like this allowed in Squamish for the next 50 years. So why not try and scoop this one up somehow? Assuming it is as successful as they say it is, this is a solid and super-easy income stream. The present value adjusted for future earning must be huge.

I really don't understand why you would "root for" these guys. You're a skier, right? What's your beef about this "eyesore" compared to the rest of the ski lifts around the continent? Are you rooting for the cables to be cut at those, too?
    But this one doesn't take skiers, which is exactly what makes it a useless eyesore in the first place.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    But this one doesn't take skiers, which is exactly what makes it a useless eyesore in the first place.
    You been on it? It's pretty cool up there.

Don't know what new acid PG is on these days but when I was on this thing I didn't notice any unusual fast/slow stuff. Of course could be because I'm used to east coast conditions like described above, with lifts often running at 50-75% speed and chairs swinging all over the place sometimes.

Does anyone really think the company that operates this thing is standing there thinking "damn if only someone told us about the wind before we decided to put this thing here!"

You wanna talk about eyesores, the Grouse tram is disgusting.

been up twice since Wednesday! Our almost 3 year old loves it and it's nice to be able to go up for a quick stroll and snack with a view. In my view it won't get cut again, they removed the bottom 15 feet of ladders on the towers so while on could theoretically still get up there, it's not going to be easy and they have cameras and whatever else they're using aimed at every single tower. No cabins on the line, and not really able to get to the cable anymore, that leaves just a few other options to disrupt them....guess at this point can't say it wouldn't happen, but I'd hope that the perp is just some disgruntled climber who thought they were clever and not someone with access to explosives.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post

it actually does take skiers, saw a couple on Saturday morning. they allow backcountry users to bring skis on the gondola.