Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    ^ what ever happened to jong slaughter/ thread drift.
    Blurred has been known to post in gear swap but is perhaps less interested in the laughter of JONGs than he once was.

New 12 minute radio interview with Sea To Sky GM Kirby Brown on Mountain FM:

https://www.mountainfm.com/audio/sea...-kirby-brown/#

Pertinent tech stuff at 8:00 and talk about how they know the rope was not tampered with prior to it breaking that night:

"We know that this rope was cut through once. I can say that with absolute certainty, this rope was cut through once.

You've got a 6 strand steel cable under extreme tension, you can't cut a single strand, so everyone of those six strands is made up of many many more smaller strands, you can't relieve the pressure on any one of the single tiny little strands without that being noticed by the very first shiv assembly it passes through.

There's just so many sensors out there to detect exactly that. Priority one on any lift line is the integrity and alignment of the cable that is running upon it. ... This was a deliberate single act that cut through that cable, that could only have been done while it was not operating.
    There is not a single scenario that I haven't run through my head and not a single scenario that the RCMP aren't contemplatingand chasing down right now. .... They are truly impressive in their investigation ...
    Isolated incident meant to attack the business."

Like I said before - international eco terrorism.

Three scenarios

1) copy cat home grown eco terrorist

2) home grown eco terrorist, shared knowledge

3) international eco terrorist traveler

4) eco shark with lazer who in a turf war with similarly armed eco squirrels shot the wire rope by mistake

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    New 12 minute radio interview with Sea To Sky GM Kirby Brown on Mountain FM:

https://www.mountainfm.com/audio/sea...-kirby-brown/#

Isolated incident meant to attack the business."
    PG, do you think it could have possibly been the Sandia Peak Tramway crew from Albuquerque, who wanted make it back into the list of top 3 longest gondola rides? Those guys have been bitter ever since the sea-to-sky one has been built, and they certainly would know how to cut a cable.

5) Years of stinging drizzle, of corrosive sunshine, of salty gales and acidic bird shit - it is every coastal town's cross to bear.*

6) Branches - leaning and relaxing.*

*High Dive by Jonathan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    PG, do you think it could have possibly been the Sandia Peak Tramway crew from Albuquerque, who wanted make it back into the list of top 3 longest gondola rides? Those guys have been bitter ever since the sea-to-sky one has been built, and they certainly would know how to cut a cable.
    Albuquerque?? What do they have on the home of lumber jacks and furry beavers!

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    Albuquerque?? What do they have on the home of lumber jacks and furry beavers!
    Better cutoff wheels?

needed an update

Name:  386r7u.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  81.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Knocker View Post
    4) eco shark with lazer
    Very close. Clearly this is another directed energy strike. Last year the US military conducted tests against its own citizens in the Paradise fire. See all the molten metal, not produced in a regular fire, and conductive to EM fields. This is a test against an ally, hence the media obfuscation and dissembling RCMPs. We'll never see the damage. The truth is out there.
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    needed an update

Name:  386r7u.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  81.3 KB
    Yes. Never gets old.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Corrosive Sunshine would be a great name for a band.

One thing I noticed in that radio interview, and also in the earlier statement from the RCMP spokesperson is they use the word “they” rather than “he”. Seems to imply they know more than one person was involved.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    One thing I noticed in that radio interview, and also in the earlier statement from the RCMP spokesperson is they use the word “they” rather than “he”. Seems to imply they know more than one person was involved.
    Or the person was a tranny and the RCMP was being PC because most Canadians are gender fluid.

Or the person was a tranny and the RCMP was being PC because most Canadians are gender fluid.
    Yup. I had to call a single person “they” today in an email. Weird as hell.

It’s grammatically incorrect

I’m completely shocked 5g hadn’t been blamed yet.

Gondola cable snaps

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Yup. I had to call a single person “they” today in an email. Weird as hell.

It’s grammatically incorrect

We are being encouraged to use they as well on my place of work (i’m a teacher) and i too find it weird. Going to take a long time to get used to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    We are being encouraged to use they as well on my place of work (i’m a teacher) and i too find it weird. Going to take a long time to get used to that.

I had a prof in the early 90’s who insisted we use “s/he”. Wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    I’m surprised ultrasound works on steel cables. It’s quite a bit different than X-rays. But I guess it does:
    https://www.ndt.net/apcndt2001/papers/1023/1023.htm
    Haul ropes are checked with MRT, magnetic resonance test. I’m not 100% how it works but it can read the amount of steel running through the machine. You get a line, graph and when the line drops you have a broken wire. I’ve helped pull apart ropes after condemned by MRT, and actually found most of the broken wires in question. An MRT is required before operation, and I think every other year after by Z98 (Canadian code for passenger cableway) Visual inspections are done more regularly, but you can’t spot broken wires easily, especially if they’re internal where they’re broken internally.

Or a ski
    Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    Corrosive Sunshine would be a great name for a band.

The sun’s been trying to kill us for over 6,000 years, this wouldn’t surprise me one bit to learn it had a hand in this

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    The sun’s been trying to kill us
    That's the problem with the sun, it's an unpredictable rogue element. We need its light for Vitamin D synthesis, but it cases sunburns. We need its radiation for photosynthesis, but it causes cancer. We gotta have it to tell the ski lifts when to open, but then it starts chopping down our gondolas.

The sun is at once both a powerful ally and duplicitous traitor; a destabilizing guerilla force and only in this war for itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

Oh, that makes sense. So when the radio guy says, “I hope the bastards get caught soon” it’s because the perp could be bisexual? Canadian thing, I guess, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    The plastic core of the rope would also melt at a much lower temp than the metal braid. I have no idea how much losing the core would compromise the integrity of the rope and how much of the safety rating is based on an intact core.
    Intact core is really important. In a rope like they used, with a plastic core, finite element analysis may suggest that the areas experiencing the most fatigue may be on the inside surfaces of the rope.

If you remove the core entirely, I imagine that the stresses would cause a lot of deformation. I don't know if the same applies exactly as per the diagram or if the cross-sectional stress distribution is the same in the event of a plastic core.

* ICMAA 2017 - Finite element analysis on the wire breaking rule of 1×7IWS steel wire rope

Name:  O1gpZVF.png
Views: 765
Size:  139.3 KB

Also, If you remove a strand in a 6 strand rope, the effect isn't a 1/6th loss to the rope strength. The loss is a lot greater because it changes the areas of stress concentration. Some areas get twice the stress of other areas.

Suppose a weakness already exists, then 1 strand removal can cause rapid failure in the other strands at their weak points.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PgrwaA3.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	164.5 KB 
ID:	291441

Lesson - if a rope has any issues, it isn't anywhere near a strong as the % of cross-sectional material missing.

That's probably why they say that 'visual rope inspection is 20% evidence + 80% hope'.