Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast
Results 601 to 625 of 648
  1. #601
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    4,538
    No, all hurricanes pass through Raleigh.
    PE, Mechanical Engineering
    University of Bridger Bowl Alumnus
    Alpental Creeper

  2. #602
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Big Sky/Moonlight Basin
    Posts
    9,568
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Knocker View Post
    WOOOOSH !!!!


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

    "Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

  3. #603
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    11,983
    Can anyone account for all the Military Jets that may have been operating in the area?

    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/l...-a8184771.html
    Mister Man! Mister Man! Mister Man. They left this card.

  4. #604
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northern BC
    Posts
    1,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    Can anyone account for all the Military Jets that may have been operating in the area?

    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/l...-a8184771.html
    Totally forgot abut that. Thanks for the link

  5. #605
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South of 49
    Posts
    749
    Just before the crane in Halifax, um err I mean Raleigh, fell down.


  6. #606
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    137
    Tower cranes are supposed to be able to “weather-vain “ in the wind, otherwise they get a huge side load and collapse. But obviously in a hurricane they might collapse anyway.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  7. #607
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South of 49
    Posts
    749
    Quote Originally Posted by Shred Baron View Post
    Tower cranes are supposed to be able to “weather-vain “ in the wind, otherwise they get a huge side load and collapse. But obviously in a hurricane they might collapse anyway.
    Obviously it weather-vaned in vain.

  8. #608
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    14,822

  9. #609
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,725
    imgur.com/ClrZT1b.gifv

    cool gif of what happens with a little handheld tool and a big structure
    Last edited by bennymac; 09-17-2019 at 09:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    If I took a principled stand on every aspect of my life, I'd be too busy to live it.

  10. #610
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    317
    Name:  gondola-cable-cut.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  102.4 KB

    “Our technical failure analysis has concluded that the haul rope wires were substantially cut while under tension,” Jeff Coleman of Technical Safety BC said in a statement.

    “Once a sufficient number of wire strands had been cut, the remaining rope segment yielded under the tension from the non-operating gondola.”

    The cut, according to the regulator, was somewhere in the top third or quarter of the gondola route.

    The agency said tests found no evidence that the wire haul rope was defective. It also concluded a part of the cable that was previously damaged was not involved in the collapse.

    The report also concluded a likely instrument used to cut the cable, however the information was redacted.

    https://globalnews.ca/news/5918786/s...le-cut-report/

  11. #611
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Maine Coast
    Posts
    2,703
    Not thermite

  12. #612
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    base of the Bush
    Posts
    10,948
    Nor wind!

  13. #613
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    147
    Lasers?

  14. #614
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    309
    On sharks

  15. #615
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,725
    acidic bird shit
    Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    If I took a principled stand on every aspect of my life, I'd be too busy to live it.

  16. #616
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    bestcoast
    Posts
    1,487
    the damaged cabins are being stored a couple blocks down the street, they're loading them up on trailers today...some are totally smashed and flat, others look relatively undamaged, comparatively...

  17. #617
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    9,300ft
    Posts
    17,699
    genetically engineered squirrels with implanted diamond teeth

    clearly
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

  18. #618
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,778
    My question is, can they use the current cable and just resplice it with a new section or do they have to get a whole new cable?
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

  19. #619
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    base of the Bush
    Posts
    10,948
    NO!!!!!

    It's not the best thing to add a section as then you would have two splice points. Also partially snapped when they cut into it. New cable on it's way from Europe.
    www.apriliaforum.com

    "If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

    "I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

  20. #620
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    My question is, can they use the current cable and just resplice it with a new section or do they have to get a whole new cable?
    They are getting a new cable. It would probably work if they just spliced it, but there are likely regulations that prevent that, and it would be a PR nightmare.

  21. #621
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    bestcoast
    Posts
    1,487
    apparently the new haul cable is a month or so out from delivery, I'd imagine the cabins a few months after that

  22. #622
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    NO!!!!!

    It's too short to splice for one thing and also partially snapped when they cut into it. New cable on it's way from Europe.
    They could probably get it to work physically by cutting out the bad section and adding in a long enough piece so there were three splices in the cable, but that would be a PR headache, and probably not allowed anyway.

  23. #623
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,856
    Quote Originally Posted by nickinbc View Post
    Name:  gondola-cable-cut.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  102.4 KB

    “Our technical failure analysis has concluded that the haul rope wires were substantially cut while under tension,” Jeff Coleman of Technical Safety BC said in a statement.

    “Once a sufficient number of wire strands had been cut, the remaining rope segment yielded under the tension from the non-operating gondola.”

    The cut, according to the regulator, was somewhere in the top third or quarter of the gondola route.

    The agency said tests found no evidence that the wire haul rope was defective. It also concluded a part of the cable that was previously damaged was not involved in the collapse.

    The report also concluded a likely instrument used to cut the cable, however the information was redacted.

    https://globalnews.ca/news/5918786/s...le-cut-report/
    Yea that’s great and all but what does Pure Gravity have to say?

    Once he clears it we can finally close the case here.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  24. #624
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Alpental
    Posts
    3,467
    Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    They could probably get it to work physically by cutting out the bad section and adding in a long enough piece so there were three splices in the cable, but that would be a PR headache, and probably not allowed anyway.
    It would probably go against any industry standard regarding aerial tramway ropes
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

  25. #625
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,725
    whoa whoa whoa wait a second

    WTF is this shit? Why is this being overlooked? Why did the RCMP jump to the conclusion this rope was cut when there clearly is some sort of explosive material or foreign substance applied to corrode through the cable - it may be dispersed on the wind by terrorists. Or if may be some sort of metal eating micro-organism.


    Name:  IMG_5206.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  97.2 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    If I took a principled stand on every aspect of my life, I'd be too busy to live it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •