Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Maybe there were carbon fiber brake rotors involved somehow?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

You could be on to something
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Correction: the tower after the first rise is not #8. The tower #8 with the first cabin fall was much further up the line, just after #9 (almost immediately) and beginning the long flat section. It looks like the tower numbers skip sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Maybe there were carbon fiber brake rotors involved somehow?
    You would have to remind me! LOL.
    Last edited by puregravity; 08-11-2019 at 03:42 PM.

Thanks Pure Gravity for bringing the knowledge. No evidence yet it was sabotage

Couple folks have mentioned thermite. Think that is possible and perhaps affords a little distance clinging on to the tower. If it was sabotage

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    To add to my theory ... I'll bet that the automated cable tensioning system only works when the system is running.
    During the day, it heated up, then at night, when the system was off, it cooled down. That tension from contraction probably places more load on the cable than even the passengers during operation - assuming that the system doesn't adjust for that tension in the night.

So theory is ... Metal Fatigue, compounded by Chinesium and/or salty Howe Sound air, that finally broke during a contraction during the coldest part of the night, when the system was turned off and not automatically tensioning the rope.

Let's see how that goes ...

That or the James Bond steel toothed rope eating guy!
    There’s a mechanical pressure relief as well as the active tensioning system that acts as a backup safety, and will allow it to let off pressure when the rope contracts when the control power is off. About the chinesium, I’ll damn near guarantee the rope is from the Swiss rope manufacturer Fatzer ( the lift manufacturers preferred supplier).

On the subject of how to cut a rope while it’s under tension. Since it’s a detachable gondola, it has a plastic core in the rope (nice and bendy, and supports the strands well) heat will do the trick. Melt the core, the strands lose support, the steel is probably close to red hot, and under tension, and that’ll do. Could take long enough for you to get away while it’s happening. In that old destructive test video they lit the shack on fire and guess what happened.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

thats some ballsy shit if it was cut. where are the pics of the end of the snap. prob real easy for experts in the field to see it right off

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    thats some ballsy shit if it was cut. where are the pics of the end of the snap. prob real easy for experts in the field to see it right off
    Is it inconceivable that the RCMP actually have the expertise to determine if it is sabotage on their own and they might not want to release all the evidence they have to the public?

If it was cut with a torch, grinder, explosive charge, etc, it is going to be fucking obvious to just about anyone, even a RCMP inspector. And they aren't going to plaster all the evidence on the web.

That would explain why RCMP said "sabatoge" vs this being a weather induced failure under fully expected weather conditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Is it inconceivable that the RCMP actually have the expertise to determine if it is sabotage on their own and they might not want to release all the evidence they have to the public?
    not at all, i just have an enormous egenda against the royal canadian mounted police, and felt like subtly expressing it here.

not at all, i just have an enormous egenda against the royal canadian mounted police, and felt like subtly expressing it here.
    Sorry for prying but, i’d like to hear more about your ´enormous agenda ´ .

Does egenda mean online?

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Sorry for prying but, i’d like to hear more about your ´enormous agenda ´ .

If that’s code for “ boner” I personally don’t want to hear more about it.

jeez, settle down eh.

sorry for the wordplay.

allow myself to repeat myself

if someone cut that shit, that's ballsy. i'm also fascinated by engineering and physics.

sarcasm. eh.

Gondola cable snaps

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    If that’s code for “ boner” I personally don’t want to hear more about it.
    No no, not code for that. Îm just trying to move the conversation along. You never know, perhaps the suspects are amongst us on these very pages.

Last edited by Angle Parking; 08-11-2019 at 08:43 PM.

get a room you 2
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

i think we've covered it at this point.

glad no one was hurt, for sure

gnarly.

Gondola cable snaps

We have covered it until we learn more. Much like the saga of the POS teenagers who recently met their demise, the story remains to be told.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Sort of hard to believe there'd be a wind event more severe in the middle of the summer than during the winter that would cause something catastrophic like this. And the cable de-roping is a whole lot different than the entire cable snapping, especially with just the load from the empty cabins.
    I'd think the same thing. Now imagine, the car is parked on a tower, so that it comes to a stop overnight in this position so that the car grip is on the tower:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	YSiU7Yf.jpg 
Views:	1179 
Size:	781.1 KB 
ID:	290975

Now imagine that the car is swinging in a less violent state than before, but just enough that a collision is made with Haul Rope Catcher device and Detacheable Grip Torsion Tube. As in the test, then it "started to pull the haul rope out of the sheave liner groove".

So then a deropement happens on one wheel, with the car on the rope at that wheel, the force actually causes the car to come off the tower entirely because that is probably enough force to bring it out of alignment on one whole sheave assembly.

Now, the rope swings down. Say the tower is one after a long steep section (the whole S2S is steep for the first 7 towers). Now the rope drops down, the weight of both sides drops, and it bounces back up ...

Then what happens? The 'bounce' probably causes the rope to bounce off the wheels of the towers in front and behind it too.

Starts a catastrophic chain reaction that brings more derailments and vibrations ... causing an eventual rope failure too.

In the Whistler Gondola Accident, a quote says 'the car was moving a lot and the cables bouncing “like crazy"' and 'swinging wildly'
    http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Twe...212/story.html

If someone had a string tram model and tried that, taking the rope off one tower and dropping it down, then I'd be surprised if the rope motion didn't take down the rope from all the towers on one side of the rope line. It might look like something impossible ... until a small event that produces a stronger motion brings more of the system into play.

edit: Just the right amount of tension in the system might make it all impossible. Maybe someone can explain how that all works.

JUST A THEORY.
    Last edited by puregravity; 08-12-2019 at 03:46 AM.

Someone forwarded me a copy of the report from 2014 that I remember reading years ago.

BRITISH COLUMBIA SAFETY AUTHORITY INVESTIGATION REPORT
    SEA TO SKY GONDOLA INCIDENT
    February 4, 2014
    Report No.: RPT-5095-00

https://imgur.com/a/qeK7jfH

For some reason, I can't actually find it anymore on the BCSA website. The original link to it there doesn't bring it up and and a search for the report number doesn't bring anything up either. In any case, I uploaded it as images for each page as a way of sharing it here.

There are some pictures and analysis of the deropement that occurred showing the tolerances in the system to movement caused by wind or other factors.

My only comment today for watercooler discussion, is this data from pages 4, 6, 15 and 16:

Page 4
    ----------
    ... The speed selector switch was in slow mode and the speed set point was 1.5 m/s (meters per second).
    The system was running at a slow speed, only 1.5 m/s or 5 km/h, when the fault occurred:

Page 6
    ----------

11. As the cabin loaded with the person performing the line check approached tower 13, the installation shutdown due to a rope position detector fault and a deropement detection switch fault detected at tower 7 at 8:30 AM. The rope position detector switch senses immediately when the rope starts to move out of its normal position and shuts the installation down. The deropement detection switch is a switch that detects when the rope comes off of the sheaves (or wheels) on a tower. The wind speed observed at tower 8 when the two faults occurred was 50 km/h. The gondola was running at a speed of approximately 2.5 M/S according to the information provided by the system data logger
    " the installation shutdown due to a rope position detector fault and a deropement detection switch fault detected at tower 7 at 8:30 AM. The rope position detector switch senses immediately when the rope starts to move out of its normal position and shuts the installation down. ... is a switch that detects when the rope comes off of the sheaves (or wheels) on a tower. "

It wasn't the actions of an employee that stopped the system. It was, in fact, the deropement detection that stopped the system. The fallen car was found later by the lift manufacturer employee walking the line.

Page 15
    -----------
    Testing at this location was limited to swinging the cabin towards the tower to a value of 16.4 degrees. At this inclination the detachable rope grip began to pull the rope out of the sheave groove and the torsion tube was 15 mm away from contacting the rope catcher. ...
    "At this inclination the detachable rope grip began to pull the rope out of the sheave groove"

Page 16
    -----------
    Status: SSGLP was required to lower wind speed thresholds for operations until such time as they could demonstrate an increased level of monitoring for this passenger ropeway alignment. SSGLP implemented the following improvements prior to receiving an operating permit for full public operation: An additional wind meter ... wind warning and wind alarm values that slow the system have been reduced ... A camera has been installed at tower 8 that monitors tower 7 for cabin movement ... Operation will not be permitted during wind speeds greater than 40 km/h or during forecasted arctic outflow winds.
    "Operation will not be permitted during wind speeds greater than 40 km/h or during forecasted arctic outflow winds."

ALL FOOD FOR THOUGHT

^ i feel like you are onto something. wow!

wow!

copy/paste.

it's fine, give him time...

it's fine, give him time...
    I'm done.
    I admit defeat.
    Throwing in the white towel on my Dunning Kruger theories.
    Perhaps I need to masturbate more

Even in the Whistler Gondola incident, with a complete tower collapse,
    the haulline never broke.

Haul lines never break. Even in the craziest tower failures, the haul lines even end upholding up the broken towers.

Thermite?? Is that the going consensus?

It is really sad actually.
    Sad for all the people that are without work.
    Sad for the locals that were serving the tourist market.
    Sad for the people that invest so much time and effort into making the system reliable every day.
    Sad that someone might do such a thing.

^ Yeah, that's my gut feeling. I can envision a lot of failures, but the haul cable snapping short of some kind of defect is difficult to imagine especially when the lift isn't running.