Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Now this is freaky:

Quote Originally Posted by Shred Baron View Post
    Haul ropes are checked with MRT, magnetic resonance test. I’m not 100% how it works but it can read the amount of steel running through the machine. You get a line, graph and when the line drops you have a broken wire. I’ve helped pull apart ropes after condemned by MRT, and actually found most of the broken wires in question. An MRT is required before operation, and I think every other year after by Z98 (Canadian code for passenger cableway) Visual inspections are done more regularly, but you can’t spot broken wires easily, especially if they’re internal where they’re broken internally.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    My post was in response to an earlier post that had pictures of a lift being prepared for an ultrasound inspection. That surprised me, but I learned it is actually a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    That's the problem with the sun, it's an unpredictable rogue element. We need its light for Vitamin D synthesis, but it cases sunburns. We need its radiation for photosynthesis, but it causes cancer. We gotta have it to tell the ski lifts when to open, but then it starts chopping down our gondolas.

The sun is at once both a powerful ally and duplicitous traitor; a destabilizing guerilla force and only in this war for itself.
    But the sun isn't out at 4am! How can that be explained?

God dammit!

Maaaaaybe it’s a black sun you can’t see
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Maaaaaybe it’s a black sun you can’t see
    Let’s not make this racial.

black suns matter.

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    Intact core is really important. In a rope like they used, with a plastic core, finite element analysis may suggest that the areas experiencing the most fatigue may be on the inside surfaces of the rope.
    You mean stress, not fatigue. Areas with stress concentrations are prone to fatigue cracking, but fatigue and stress are not the same thing.

I've that this same thought since I've been maybe 4 years old... what if the cable snaps? Is it being inspected regularly? What if rust gets in there during the summer? Better just trust it and go with the odds that it will snap with someone else onboard...

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    You mean stress, not fatigue. Areas with stress concentrations are prone to fatigue cracking, but fatigue and stress are not the same thing.
    I stand corrected. Which happens a lot

To add to that an exploration in Fatigue cracking:

The name “fatigue” is based on the concept that a material becomes “tired” and fails at a stress level below the nominal strength of the material. The facts that the original bulk design strengths are not exceeded and the only warning sign of an impending fracture is an often hard to see crack, makes fatigue damage especially dangerous.
    In order for fatigue cracks to initiate, three basic factors are necessary. First, the loading pattern must contain minimum and maximum peak values with large enough variation or fluctuation. The peak values may be in tension or compression and may change over time but the reverse loading cycle must be sufficiently great for fatigue crack initiation. Secondly, the peak stress levels must be of sufficiently high value. If the peak stresses are too low, no crack initiation will occur. Thirdly, the material must experience a sufficiently large number of cycles of the applied stress. The number of cycles required to initiate and grow a crack is largely dependant on the first to factors.

In addition to these three basic factors, there are a host of other variables, such as stress concentration, corrosion, temperature, overload, metallurgical structure, and residual stresses which can affect the propensity for fatigue. ...

7) The Perseids meteor shower.*

One of the brighter meteor showers of the year (provides midnight sun almost) and tends to peak around August 9-13.

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    ummm. rotation of the earth??
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

8) Lightening - June 20, 2019. Appears to be on the side of the Squamish Chief or it could be further back, maybe along the gondola line???*

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/c...ear_the_chief/*

Other lightning pictures from the same storm in Squamish:

https://twitter.com/MountainFM/statu...49297702027265

https://twitter.com/StawamusChief/st...72606032502785

And a tree along the Sea To Sky gondola summit trail:

Name:  4tPRYfI.png
Views: 899
Size:  643.5 KB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	z6i11pzsdj531.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	291490  
    Last edited by puregravity; 08-17-2019 at 07:16 PM.

https://y.yarn.co/10151bcb-22c6-4e31...74_text_hi.gif

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    My post was in response to an earlier post that had pictures of a lift being prepared for an ultrasound inspection. That surprised me, but I learned it is actually a thing.
    Fair enough that ultrasound can work on cable, but the Canadian code z98 specifically requires MRTClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1566080706.783314.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	291502. (Sorry can’t find a link for z98 had to take shorty screen shot)

I’m assuming the ski the east group is in the US. Plus I also don’t trust most people who post info on social media about ski lift stuff, most of them don’t have much clue what they’re talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    That was a great read.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

I didn't know this until today ... but the actual name 'Squamish' means:

"Mother of the Wind"

A squamish is a strong and often violent wind occurring in many of the fjords, inlets and valleys of British Columbia. Squamishes occur in those fjords oriented in a northeast-southwest or east-west direction where cold polar air can be funneled westward, the opposite of how the wind generally flows on the Coast.
    The town of Squamish, British Columbia, is named for the wind, and upper Howe Sound, just off the Squamish River estuary, is known widely in the sailboarding world for its excellent, steady winds.
    Now I find that very interesting, especially looking at the accounts of a Squamish meteorologist, and the range of the original Feb 4, 2014 incident, as well as recently. From the Jan Feb 2014 range:

https://twitter.com/search?q=(from%3...rc=typed_query

And recently, freak thunderstorms:

https://twitter.com/Squamishweather/...79554726658049

Now, according to 'Observation 3' on page 17 of the 2014 incident report:

The site selection process as it is outlined in the Z98 standard requires that “consideration shall be given to factors that are known to affect the operational requirements of the installation, such as wind.
    It is incumbent on the designer to make this evaluation of the site and to gather data from appropriate sources to determine where along the line wind monitoring devices must be located.
    ... Where that experience does not exist, data may need to be gathered from other sources, such as wind studies, in order to determine appropriate locations for wind monitoring.
    These studies may incorporate wind modeling methodologies to better understand the effects of wind along a proposed alignment. This is similar to the practice that exists to evaluate passenger ropeways located in avalanche terrain by collecting data through snow studies to establish snow safety plans for safe operations.
    I've added '...' just to break it up into bite sized sentences.

Somewhere there is a shark with a laser laughing his shark ass off.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    ummm. rotation of the earth??
    wrong, the earth is stationary and the sun orbits the 6,700 year old earth, duh

Name:  389r46.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  62.3 KB

Is Pure Guff trying to freak everyone out about riding lifts this winter?
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    The Sun has a well-documented history of funding and supporting third-party militant organizations when it is unable to maneuver against its opposition directly and overtly, or when it benefits from maintaining an appearance of inculpability.

In this case, I would rely on high-confidence intelligence reports that describe a long-standing relationship of The Sun providing resources to The Moon in exchange for sustained operations during the nighttime hours (including the 0400 hours time of incursion).

Additionally, The Sun has previously been witnessed to enlist the aid of more distant, but no less sympathetic, stars in its campaign of destabilization and chaos. Similar to The Moon, these outside antagonists routinely perform wetwork under the cover of nightfall, and may possibly share responsibility for the attack in question.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

I thought the west had made a deal with the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    The Sun has a well-documented history of funding and supporting third-party militant sharks with lasers on their heads .
    FIFY