Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I envision a 1:32 scale Jeagerndrofer Gipfelbahn set up in his mom's living room with fans blowing at it from various angles and a half empty Adderall bottle laying on the side table.

Attachment 291265
    I thought those models came free with any regular price Vail ticket!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Knocker View Post
    What do the sharks have on you?
    The ones with laser beams?

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    I have an engineer friend whose job it is to eval lift failures. He’s not involved but thinks no way this was a “failure”.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Obviously he was paid off to say that.

Name:  383ksz.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  83.3 KB

^ perfect

Don't they use such units for scanning oil/gas pipeline metal and welding integrity?

Yes a robotic scanner that checks welds on a molecular level with 2 technicians.

This PDF probably covers every type of rope wear and failure ever seen or conceived.

Wire Rope Forensics
    http://www.ropetechnology.com/bro_en...rensics_a4.pdf

A dead body is lying on the floor. Was it murder or suicide? If it was murder, WHO killed the person? WHY did he do it? And HOW did he do it?
    The work if a wire rope detective resembles very much that of Sherlock Holmes .... was murdered (by external factors) or committed suicide (e.g. in multi layer spooling on a drum).
    I also didn't realize Martensite formation was so difficult to detect ... or so bad for a rope.

Even in a mounted sample, it has to be made visible by etching the microstructure.
    Also of note:

Visual rope inspection = 20% evidence + 80% hope.

If the contact conditions between the rope elements inside the rope are worse than the contact conditions on the sheave, the rope wires will fail on the inside first. This is very dangerous because internal wire breaks are very hard to detect. Non-destructive testing equipment can help in the detection of internal wire failures.

Wire ropes working on plastic sheaves are more likely to fail from the inside out than ropes working on steel sheaves.

According to the news video capture in the post here, it looks like the rope used matches a 6x36 Warrington-Seale, nominal-ø 40 - 60 mm rope as shown in the Fatzer brochure: https://riggingspecialties.com/wp-co...re-STABILO.pdf.

There was a discovery in 2004 of a phenomenon never seen before in ropeway ropes:

In a report from Fatzer, by Max Baumann, regarding Cognitions from the Schilthorn Incident Regarding Track Rope Maintenance:

The cases with scars of galling (irregardless of their dangerousness) did represent 14% of all track ropes tested, but 28% of those track ropes found damaged! It is important to underline that the inspections were limited to rope portions slipped plus rope on the terminal saddle
    It was found by coincidence, that this particular pattern of damage not only can occur on track ropes of aerial tramways with steel deflection-shoes, but also when a hauling rope flips over the track rope e.g. during an emergency stoppage, and is sliding along it.

So the real potential of danger is by far not affirmed yet and therefore cannot be eliminated.

According to another online library article:

Damage analysis of the serious incident that took place on 29 December 2004 on the Mürren‐Birg section of the Schilthorn aerial ropeway identified the cause of failure as hydrogen‐induced stress corrosion cracking. The necessary preconditions for this damage mechanism, which was previously unknown in the aerial ropeway industry, were established by the complex interaction of various ancillary conditions.

I don't know how that relates, except to say that the field of rope analysis and safety is definitely a dynamic one. Of course, none of this probably relates to a 'big thick beautiful healthy rope'.

However, as a further exploration, I would be curious to know if forest fire smoke can accelerate Hydrogen Embrittlement by way of the acids it contains. So for example, if a rope survives several summers of British Columbia forest fire smoke -- and there was quite a bit the last 5 or 6 years in the Squamish/Whistler corridor, would the ash get into the rope and potentially accelerate this? All I know is WHERE THERE’S SMOKE, THERE’S TOXIC ACID but I don't know if that can, or has ever, played a role in steel rope degradation.

HYDROGEN EMBRITTLEMENT IN WIRE ROPES
    http://mmengineering.com/wp-content/...5-No-3-web.pdf

Hydrogen embrittlement can occur when a part is exposed to hydrogen atoms, usually as the result of a chemical reaction where H+ is evolved. The process involves hydrogen migrating towards the grain boundaries of the material. This causes the grain boundaries to become brittle and weak. In order for hydrogen embrittlement to occur, three conditions are needed: a hydrogen source, a material susceptible to hydrogen embrittlement, and a tensile stress (Figure 2).

Isn't climate change wonderful!
    Last edited by puregravity; 08-15-2019 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    According to the news video capture in the post here, it looks like the rope used matches a 6x36 Warrington-Seale, nominal-ø 40 - 60 mm rope as shown in the Fatzer brochure: https://riggingspecialties.com/wp-co...re-STABILO.pdf.

There was a discovery in 2004 of a phenomenon never seen before in ropeway ropes:

In a report from Fatzer, by Max Baumann, regarding Cognitions from the Schilthorn Incident Regarding Track Rope Maintenance:

According to another online library article:

I don't know how that relates, except to say that the field of rope analysis and safety is definitely a dynamic one. Of course, none of this probably relates to a 'big thick beautiful healthy rope'.

However, as a further exploration, I would be curious to know if forest fire smoke can accelerate Hydrogen Embrittlement by way of the acids it contains. So for example, if a rope survives several summers of British Columbia forest fire smoke -- and there was quite a bit the last 5 or 6 years in the Squamish/Whistler corridor, would the ash get into the rope and potentially accelerate this? All I know is WHERE THERE’S SMOKE, THERE’S TOXIC ACID but I don't know if that can, or has ever, played a role in steel rope degradation.

HYDROGEN EMBRITTLEMENT IN WIRE ROPES
    http://mmengineering.com/wp-content/...5-No-3-web.pdf

Isn't climate change wonderful!
    Man, if someone could just focus you on worthwhile tasks and research you’d be an amazing asset to someone or something.

could ^ be the best alpinezone ever?

nice ficking work.

hope to see you at kton this year, and your forum is way more cool.

immna start posting creepy pics in hopes of getting this thread nuked

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    could ^ be the best alpinezone ever?
    One does not point to an alpinezone invitation, one quotes and thus preserves the invitation.

Where the hell is Bobby anyway?? This is why we can't have nice things.

PraxisRX etc

ETA: lol that the safer sabotage advice is fine but a little amusement via geekery really puts sand in the collective shorts. Maybe that's why we can't have nice things.
    A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."

^ what ever happened to jong slaughter/ thread drift.

not cool if dude is in some time out shit.

come back flowing..

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    I for one am enjoying the geeking out on gondi/ski lift/haul rope stuff, P.G.

Learning stuff and this of course leads to new questions...

For example, dunno if it's been covered, but is haul rope examination performed manually by a human or is there a tech device that checks the rope for imperfections, fatigue, compromised integrity? Can imagine a sensor/scanner unit that would/could scan the running cable in real time 24/7 if money was no object? Don't they use such units for scanning oil/gas pipeline metal and welding integrity?
    They use industrial x-rays on the haul ropes. It gets passed through a little machine, and engineers look at that for imperfections. This is not done regularly, but there is a maintenence schedule. It is also done if there is anything unusual happens to the rope, eg derails, chair comes off etc.

The RCMP says it was cut. I am just as be-skeptical-of-the-police-and-government as the next guy, but I can't comprehend WHY they would want to perpetuate this lie, if it in fact was not cut. I also don't really consider the RCMP to be on my list of 'shady as fuck organizations.'

I believe them when they say it was purposely cut. No real reason not to. BC also has the right amount of enviro-crazies to make this believable.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    The RCMP says it was cut.
    If this guy says it was cut, it was cut.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mountie-on-Parliament-Hill.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	662.3 KB 
ID:	291330
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 9.18.16 AM.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	780.6 KB 
ID:	291332
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Clear.y it had to be this guy..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Someone has to know who this was. These kind of grievences Don't get acted out without lots of talk leading upto. Who's the local nutjob that hates the gondola and resort?

Sent from my SM-N960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

I’m surprised ultrasound works on steel cables. It’s quite a bit different than X-rays. But I guess it does:
    https://www.ndt.net/apcndt2001/papers/1023/1023.htm

The RCMP says it was cut. I am just as be-skeptical-of-the-police-and-government as the next guy, but I can't comprehend WHY they would want to perpetuate this lie, if it in fact was not cut. I also don't really consider the RCMP to be on my list of 'shady as fuck organizations.'

I believe them when they say it was purposely cut. No real reason not to. BC also has the right amount of enviro-crazies to make this believable.
    Who do you work for?

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Who do you work for?
    That's right buddy, you show that turd who's boss.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Who do you work for?

I work in a factory that makes miniature models of factories.

I work in a factory that makes miniature models of factories.
    Ok, checks out.

Who do you work for?
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    That's right buddy, you show that turd who's boss.
    No, no, no, no.

You're supposed to tell him how tall you are first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........