Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Wow man. Shudder

You got a heavy weight to carry but you carry it and I'm glad you have the strength.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    You got a heavy weight to carry but you carry it and I'm glad you have the strength.
    Those are better words than my oafish acknowledgement.

Let us not dwell on anyone's skeletons here unless they invite the discourse.

Meh. Having had a long time to think it all through, I think I was more damaged by all the silence and tiptoeing around it.

It’s liberating to just be like “fuck it, what a tragic douchebag.”

I didn’t give that whole thing a lot of thought until the Classic Blunder of moving back to my hometown in middle age.

Skeletons In Your Closet

I think moving back to ones hometown middle age is a classic blunder skeletons or no. I went south hard when I went back to hometown for school.

I think I’ll leave my drinking days skeletons right where they are...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

My paternal grandfather was/is part of the Sicilian Mafia. We don't know who he is, my grandmother fled the east coast when my dad and aunt were very young. Have no idea if he was/is alive etc, who he was etc. My grandmother refuses to talk about it.

But I am 1/4 Sicilian so apparently I could get Italian citizenship if I get the genealogy worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post

But I am 1/4 Sicilian so apparently I could get Italian citizenship if I get the genealogy worked out.
    I think it would depend on when and if your Grandfather became a US citizen? Italy didn't use to allow dual citizenship. So depending on the timing he may not have counted as Italian for your purposes or even that of your father to qualify.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I think it would depend on when and if your Grandfather became a US citizen? Italy didn't use to allow dual citizenship. So depending on the timing he may not have counted as Italian for your purposes or even that of your father to qualify.
    That's the research I need to do...

Might be all for not, as the only purpose of the exercise would be EU work rights so I could move to Switzerland. If there's an italy-exit then I'll be SOL anyways.

I'm also a quarter irish and think there might be an ancestry passport angle there too but again it comes down to date of exit/port of entry type stuff.

Another skeleton:
    My dad's stepdad's father and grandfather (and extended family) were booze runners during the prohibition and rumor is, also members of the Klan. They are from the deep south. My dad has some pretty bad stories about what a racist shithead his grandfather was. Yuck.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    I think moving back to ones hometown middle age is a classic blunder...
    I did that!

Spanish, rather then French, in high school would have proven beneficial.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

I thought the classic blunder was getting involved in a land war in Asia.

My paternal grandfather was/is part of the Sicilian Mafia. We don't know who he is, my grandmother fled the east coast when my dad and aunt were very young. Have no idea if he was/is alive etc, who he was etc. My grandmother refuses to talk about it.

Well we all know to never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Well we all know to never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line
    I attribute it to the reason why I like to sell cars and do deals on things.

That's the research I need to do...
    As far as I remember it if grand father became US citizen before your Dad was born the chain is broken to your Dad. Also if your father was born in US and therefore became a US citizen the chain to Italy is broken to you.

Ireland may be easier..

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    As far as I remember it if grand father became US citizen before your Dad was born the chain is broken to your Dad. Also if your father was born in US and therefore became a US citizen the chain to Italy is broken to you.

Ireland may be easier..
    But if the chain isn't broken then my dad can apply and then I can apply if I remember correctly. It's confusing though, so I may have it wrong.

There's also agencies in New York that you can pay $8000 - $10,000 to "expedite filing and assist in genealogy claims" which probably means filing with the right people who will make it happen... wink wink. Ah Italy.

But if the chain isn't broken then my dad can apply and then I can apply if I remember correctly. It's confusing though, so I may have it wrong.

There's also agencies in New York that you can pay $8000 - $10,000 to "expedite filing and assist in genealogy claims" which probably means filing with the right people who will make it happen... wink wink. Ah Italy.
    That sounds unlikely. Where was your Dad born?

For profit immigration "agencies"? Run away very, very fast. "thanks for your $8-10K... you don't qualify.. good bye, thanks for your business"

And no I doubt that there's any palm greasing.

both kids have dual UK/US citizenship from the Mrs., which seems to be trending useless by Nov 1st. (the citizenship, not the Mrs)
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Being a ski bum in Britain isn’t ideal

My FBI brother law never says much, he’s the perfect man in a black suit, but he specifically told me, do not do that ancestry.com shit.

Quote Originally Posted by m05c79 View Post
    No one has actually posted something horrible they have done that is completely unknown.
    OK, well here I go !

Biggest skeleton in my personal life is written about in the High School Reunion thread. Search function JONGS.

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

My aunt's husband shot himself in the back of his car back in the early 70's. Forget what day, but think it was a b-day or holiday type day. Aunt lost it and went off the reservation. My dad at some point hired a PI after other efforts to find her failed. To my knowledge, she has not been heard from since about that fateful day. 2 kids adopted out and I actually got some info on them recently and now just have to track them down. Both still in SoCal afaik.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    My FBI brother law never says much, he’s the perfect man in a black suit, but he specifically told me, do not do that ancestry.com shit.
    My dumbass relatives already ruined it for me, but I guess I was ruined by genetics anyhow.

My mom's dad was one of Al Capone's henchmen then looked after his interest in New Jersey when he was forced to move to Chicago. He was 17 on a ship from Naples to New York when he met Capone. He was with him the night he got his face cut. The stories mom recounted were watered down until she felt I was mature enough to know the ugly truth. He was a vicious killer.

They’ll move you right to the front of the line!

I used to buy bowling balls at the thrift store, then roll them down a big hill into downtown.
    "Lee Harvey - you are a madman... I wanna party with you cowboy."

Snorted out loud at this one.