Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Fall Weekend Trip Ideas?

Friday - Sunday.

Drive or fly (Delta or SWA).

Looking to fill up a few fall weekends between now and October for me and the lady (will consider bringing the boy too). I want to maximize the short timeframe, and do something new. This group always comes up with good ideas I would have never considered myself.

Interested in:

Cities (small towns too if interesting), food, booze, woods, beach, events (sporting/concerts/festivals).

Not interested in:

Timeshare presentations, escape rooms, tough mudder races, craft workshops or general labor.

Whatcha got?
    I still call it The Jake.

New Orleans, live like a rock star for a few days WITHOUT the kid. Eat , drink, shag, repeat.

Lake Michigan coast in Michigan's northern lower peninsula. The drive along M-22 is a fall classic.
    https://www.m22michigan.com/

I'd suggest flying into Grand Rapids (GRR) or Traverse City (Traverse is much closer, but not sure about flight availability).

Northeast offerings: Quebec City, Bar Harbor, Block Island (not really a city obviously, but a good take) and maybe Portsmouth, NH/southern coast of Maine combo.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

September's the best month on Cape Cod, you could fly to Providence on SWA, rent a car, eat at Al Forno and head out to The Chatham Bars Inn, go to the beach, go seal- or whale-watching or deep-sea fishing, road trip up to Provincetown (it's not far) to take in the freak show (it's definitely a freak show) and get some good food (tons of restaurants there, all still open in September). That would be a fun little trip.

Asheville NC when the trees turn. Fun size town, good food, good brews, sweet mtbing and hiking.

Southwest goes to Manchester, NH. drive to Ogunquit, ME. Drive inland for leaf peeping.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    New Orleans, live like a rock star for a few days WITHOUT the kid. Eat , drink, shag, repeat.
    Fall's def my favorite time of year to go to Louisiana. Summers are unbearable there and winter/spring can be so rainy. Plus if you time it right, you can check out the Angola Prison Rodeo! Which is on Sundays October. THAT is worth going to. Only 2 hours from New Orleans.

I'm know you can get SWA to Nashville. Hit the bars on broadway, drive out to Liepers Fork in the morning. Central TN in the fall is nice. I just did a quick weekend with the wife and had a good time. Flight from Charlotte and Atlanta is an hour. So travel is quick.
    Also just worked in San Antonio and saw a bunch of SWA gates. Was for work, but the river walk seemed cool and I'd think it would be better in October vs me wearing a suit in August. I'm going to head back this fall.
    There's always Miami or Naples in the fall, weather is more tolerable and the fishing is good.

Moab, Yellowstone, Park City, Aspen, Las Vegas, Joshua Tree, Telluride, Napa, Martha's Vineyard/Nantucket/Cape Cod, Acadia NP, Franconia, NH, Islamorada, Page, AZ, Gatlinburg, TN, Savannah, GA
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

^^not enough time in a weekend for many of those from the ATL imo.

What about Cleveland?

Word of caution on leaf peeping excursions to New England. It can be a bust if you don't hit the right weekend and all the weddings and leaf peepers jack up the hotel prices in Sept and Oct. Last year I seem to recall the color being very underwhelming compared to some previous years, due to some shit w/ the weather. Or maybe I'm going colorblind.

The Cape Cod suggestion is good. Great time of year to explore that area without the crowds of chowderheads.

I assume you've been to Charleston, SC?

Bermuda is nice in Sept. Make sure there's not a TS or worse headed that way, so book at last minute.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    ^^not enough time in a weekend for many of those from the ATL imo.
    Perhaps with NetJets?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

From ATL Delta to SLC is easy. Otherwise, you are right. I would reduce the list from ATL to Savannah, Charleston, St. Augustine, Muscle Shoals, Gatlinburg, Nashville and maybe OB
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

New Orleans, Cancun/Isla Mujeres, Detroit
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Nice, keep em coming fellas, these have me thinking.

I liked Park City in the fall but the last time we did that we fell pregnant.

Good call on CLE in the fall Timber, but I’m saving that for the playoffs.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    What about Cleveland?

Word of caution on leaf peeping excursions to New England. It can be a bust if you don't hit the right weekend and all the weddings and leaf peepers jack up the hotel prices in Sept and Oct. Last year I seem to recall the color being very underwhelming compared to some previous years, due to some shit w/ the weather. Or maybe I'm going colorblind.

The Cape Cod suggestion is good. Great time of year to explore that area without the crowds of chowderheads.

I assume you've been to Charleston, SC?

Bermuda is nice in Sept. Make sure there's not a TS or worse headed that way, so book at last minute.
    Ogunquit before Cape Cod. And it's easier to get way inland way quicker from Ogunquit. So if the colors suck, you got the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Ogunquit before Cape Cod.
    Respectfully disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post

I liked Park City in the fall but the last time we did that we fell pregnant.
    You still have time to get snipped before fall.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Lake Michigan coast in Michigan's northern lower peninsula. The drive along M-22 is a fall classic.
    https://www.m22michigan.com/

I'd suggest flying into Grand Rapids (GRR) or Traverse City (Traverse is much closer, but not sure about flight availability).
    Traverse city checks a lot of your boxes.

There are phenomenal restaurants there. Had some really great meals in that town.

Sleeping bear sand dunes for a quick hike to Lake Michigan.

Don’t go to wineries... the wine sucks... but the breweries are great.

I think you can get a puddle jumper out of Detroit there in delta... otherwise it’s a 4 hr drive from Detroit... probably 2.5 or 3 outta grand rapids

cleveland, obviously

duh.... WASHINGTON!

Coast or city, mountains, islands or desert. You pick
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Mexico City is about 3 hours non-stop from ATL on Delta. Exchange rate makes swanky hotels and kick-ass food cheap. Lot's of parks, architecture and museums.

https://www.eater.com/2016/3/21/1124...ting-itinerary

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/3-days-in-mexico-city

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-pleas...ity-1446747094

I'm going floating, fishing, and camping for three days. Pack tomorrow night.
    sigless.

Cities, food, booze, woods, beach, events
    Drive for this one, so you can bring more stuff.
    Savannah, (Hilton Head), Charleston, (Isle of Palms), Jacksonville, (Okefenokee), Tallahasee, (St. Mark's Wildlife refuge).
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda