Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sedona

Sedona

I've got a work conference in Phoenix in mid-September, so decided to take the opportunity to head up to Sedona afterwards for a couple days. I've never been there before, so looking for any advice on where to stay (mid-range), eat, etc. Definitely want to do some hiking, but with the caveat that it better have pretty good bang for the buck or my wife will protest.

Been so long since I last visited Sedona that I can't make recs on the town, itself. But Flagstaff is less that an hour away and you may find better deals on rooms there. Flagstaff also has a lot of dining / drinking options and is a k00l town to walk around.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Same for Jerome. Check out Caduceus Winery, owned by Maynard James Keenan, and even if you aren't into Tool, the place and the town is pretty cool. Sedona has a lot of mellow trails around some cool rock features. Chuckwagon seems to be one I remember, but we were biking, not hiking. Check out a vortex or two. One by the airport is kind of a short easy hike.

As far as the town, we never really had an amazing meal at any of the restaurants that I could recommend unfortunately. The town is pretty touristy main street in a cheesy way, not really what we were into when there.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Been so long since I last visited Sedona that I can't make recs on the town, itself. But Flagstaff is less that an hour away and you may find better deals on rooms there. Flagstaff also has a lot of dining / drinking options and is a k00l town to walk around.
    There are some very expensive hotels in Sedona, but a few that aren't outrageous that have good reviews, so I think I'll try to stay in Sedona or at least close by. Besides, my flight will be covered due to the work trip, so I'm saving $ there.

Quick good bang for the buck hike is Cathedral Rock, or any of the 3 N. of town, Bear Mtn., Boynton, Devil's Bridge.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Great suggestions. Thanks!

Also, we drove on 89A alongside Oak Creek out of town to Flagstaff, and it's really pretty. There's slide rock State Park and rafting as I recall if that's your thing, we didn't do that though.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I’ve been there a decent amount, last time was about two weeks ago. I’d agree that it’s a tourist trap, especially on weekends (duh). Only dined out there once so don’t have many data points in that regard.

As mentioned, the drive along 89A between Sedona and Flagstaff is gorgeous. It will have you doubting you’re in Arizona. Two of the most notable/accessible hikes (Cathedral and Devils Bridge) have already been mentioned. Best place I’ve found to watch the sunset is Airport Mesa, parking is limited so get there early!

Don’t know if this is your thing, but if you’re looking for other things to do in Sedona, I know there are multiple outfits that run jeep tours that will take you farther from the beaten path than you’ll get in a rental.

Would also recommend making it up to Flagstaff for an evening. Some nice places to eat, can usually find a live band on Friday/Saturday, and generally just a great vibe. The downtown area kind of reminds me of Burlington VT.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Don’t know if this is your thing, but if you’re looking for other things to do in Sedona, I know there are multiple outfits that run jeep tours that will take you farther from the beaten path than you’ll get in a rental.
    Yeah, I've seen the ads for those. Never done it before, but could be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Yeah, I've seen the ads for those. Never done it before, but could be fun.
    Pink jeeps are everywhere. Just follow them to the source. There's also a few heli tour options. Used to know a guy who flew for them. They are based out of the airport on top of the mesa.

We hired a driver who drove us around to a bunch of wineries one day and we got some private tours. I don't know what company it was through though. I guess we did have a pretty good meal at one of them, bought and drank a bunch of wine. It was fun.

Sedona

2nd what shredgnar said, also check out Page Springs winery in Cornville, that is Maynard’s partners place, wine was super good.

Up the Creek Bistro in cornville was amazing.

We were there for spring break and pretty much stayed on the outskirts of Sedona and had a great time.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Just follow the hoardes of other hikers

Hikes already mentioned are good. A couple others are Mescal trail off Dry Canyon road - hike out along a long slickrock ledge. Or hike up to Chicken Point from the Broken Arrow trailhead or a trailhead along Hwy 179. One more from the high school in rigth off 89A in West Sedona is to hike out Scorpion Trail, you can do a lollipop loop using Pyramid trail. A walk north along Templeton from Cathedral Rock trailhead and dropping down and along Oak Creek would be pretty nice too. All of these are 3-4 miles return and have good views.

I don't have any good recco's for food, have always found Sedona underwhelming for food. The Oak Creek Brewery is pretty meh, even. Olote for high end Mexican food is good but you want to be there lined up before it opens and portions are small. I usually end up at a taco shop in Villiage of Oak Creek or another one on 89A in West Sedona. I'd second a drive up to Jerome. You could also drive up a back way on Hwy 87 via Payson and Pine. That Brewery in Pine is good.

Climb to the top of Bell Rock!!! Exhilarating and dangerous, but very memorable.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    You could also drive up a back way on Hwy 87 via Payson and Pine. That Brewery in Pine is good.
    I've passed that place a few times but never had time to stop. Place looks pretty neat.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    I've passed that place a few times but never had time to stop. Place looks pretty neat.
    Good food for sure. I get a 2 for 1 beer coupon every year with my Arizona Trail Assn membership but had never been through there with time to stop. Finally did in April when I rode the AZT.

Forgot to mention about Sedona trailheads, for a lot of them you have to buy a red rock pass. $5/15/20 day/week/annual. Not sure if all trailheads have kiosks.

I wonder if the Coyote Cantina is still there... I bet not.

Easily the best bang for the buck hike is Highline, stunning views. Bear Mountain is great, steep and beautiful. Devils Bridge is great also. All of these will come with other view seekers. There really is no off season, or even off days anymore, it’s hard to find solitude. Carrol Canyon might come close to solitude, but the views aren’t as great.

I’d 2nd Page Springs for wine. Keenan’s wine labels Arizona Stronghold and Caduceus are making legitimately great wines. You’ll find their tasting rooms in Cottonwood and Jerome.

Someone mentioned Elote, and it’s great but damned busy, but they serve a great margarita. Oak Creek Brewing is nice for a cold one, but don’t go to Tlaquepaque, it’s more expensive and service has always sucked for me.
    For me, the best dining are the low key places, Hideaway House and Garland’s Indian Gardens. Hideaway House doesn’t have fancy food, just really well done home style food and great service, ask to be sat on the lower deck above Oak Creek. Indian Gardens is 2 miles up the canyon from Uptown Sedona. Great lunch spot, great beers on tap, and a sycamore shaded patio that is just wonderful.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Subscribed. Hoping to get some Sedona riding in in October.

Will be riding with the wife so any must-do intermediate trails?

Also camper parking recs?

Is the Village of Oak Creek a convenient place to stay? Seems to be some more reasonable hotels in that area.

you can camp with the homeless on forest service land west of town. 4 lanes with a suicide lane. They missed the boat on urban planning.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Is the Village of Oak Creek a convenient place to stay? Seems to be some more reasonable hotels in that area.
    Yes. Almost as convenient as staying anywhere else in Sedona. The only place I know is Red Agave. Mountain bikers love the place because it’s so close to trails and a great bike shop. There’s a few restaurants in VOC and a small grocery store.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

If you rent a jeep or side by side Schnebly Hill Rd right out of town has some amazing views.

Last edited by Groomer Gambler; 12-13-2019 at 08:11 AM.

I'd recommend starting the trip by aligning your chakras and balancing and harmonizing your energies. Your trip will be sooooo much better.

And it's a good place to pick up some stones of joy and love, stock up!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	798.2 KB 
ID:	291486

My latest thought is to take a day trip up to the Grand Canyon South Rim during this trip assuming the weather is good. Seems like if I'm going to be that close to the GC I should go see it.